This is hillarious (check your white male privilege)

You know how it is. You type something into Google and one thing leads to another. Next thing you know you're on Twitter.

I can't say that Google searches lead me me to Twitter. In fact, I don't think I have ever been on the Twitter web site.

To me, Google seems to be in bed with Instagram. It's got to the point where I'm having to type search query -instagram.

Soldato
I'd like to post something insightful and profound here, but the topic is so retarded that words fail me. Whatever happened to free speech? It seems you can't say anything nowadays without some muppets getting upset.

Caporegime
OP
I'd like to post something insightful and profound here, but the topic is so retarded that words fail me. Whatever happened to free speech? It seems you can't say anything nowadays without some muppets getting upset.
Disagreement is a natural part of free speech isn't it? Debate?

Anyhow, do you believe that the list of entirely white male speakers indicates a racist selection process? Given that these were all people who volunteered their time for free.

It was said that the organiser made a mistake by not heavily promoting this event on forums for BAME/gay/trans developers. Tbh I didn't even know such a thing existed... a community of developers who separate themselves on the basis of their ethnicity or sexual orientation... why would development be different for black people? For lesbians? Anyway that's not the point; those places exist.

The organiser advertised the event and asked for people to come forward and give lectures. He got responses from a bunch of white men. He accepted their offers to lecture for free. He was then accused of being racist for not advertising on BAME/trans forums, etc.

What do you think of that?

Caporegime
OP
To me, Google seems to be in bed with Instagram. It's got to the point where I'm having to type search query -instagram.
I have to do the same only with "-pinterest". Seriously the top two or three results are always Pinterest. A site that wants me to sign up to click on links. Yeah, no thanks.

Caporegime
Disagreement is a natural part of free speech isn't it? Debate?

Anyhow, do you believe that the list of entirely white male speakers indicates a racist selection process? Given that these were all people who volunteered their time for free.

It was said that the organiser made a mistake by not heavily promoting this event on forums for BAME/gay/trans developers. Tbh I didn't even know such a thing existed... a community of developers who separate themselves on the basis of their ethnicity or sexual orientation... why would development be different for black people? For lesbians? Anyway that's not the point; those places exist.

The organiser advertised the event and asked for people to come forward and give lectures. He got responses from a bunch of white men. He accepted their offers to lecture for free. He was then accused of being racist for not advertising on BAME/trans forums, etc.

What do you think of that?

I think you should shut down your computer and go watch a film. You've clearly had enough internet for today, non-issues are getting in your head.

Caporegime
OP
I think you should shut down your computer and go watch a film. You've clearly had enough internet for today, non-issues are getting in your head.
I think it's potentially not as super trivial/ unimportant as you think.

It's a symptom of a sea change in society. Or at least it feels that way. "White shaming" is a thing in a lot of places now. In this case, each dev who volunteered their time lecture (for free) at that event was contacted and asked not to attend, because the speakers were all white. One did. One refused publicly.

The fact that people got angry about it and started calling out the organiser as a racist - because he didn't target black/gay/trans developer communities in his publicising of the event... it speaks volumes as to where we're headed.

Wherever that is.

e: Once you control media (film, games, press) you have immense power to shape society. We all know that. If you can control the games industry (or Hollywood), you can really start to shape public opinion.

Caporegime
I think it's potentially not as super trivial/ unimportant as you think.

It's a symptom of a sea change in society. Or at least it feels that way. "White shaming" is a thing in a lot of places now. In this case, each dev who volunteered their time lecture (for free) at that event was contacted and asked not to attend, because the speakers were all white. One did. One refused publicly.

The fact that people got angry about it and started calling out the organiser as a racist - because he didn't target black/gay/trans developer communities in his publicising of the event... it speaks volumes as to where we're headed.

Wherever that is.

I don't tend to visit places like that and if someone brings that crap to a place I'll tell them right where to shove it. I am not an advocate of violence but I do truly believe that none of these people have ever had a proper clout in life, hence why they think they can carry on like this without consequence. Next time one of them pipes up, four knuckles on the nose. When they scream, four knuckles again, and keep repeating until they put 2&2 together and realise that the reason they're having a nice knuckle meal is becuase of the crap they're spouting. Then when they see the error of their ways, welcome them to the real world and offer them a pint.

Caporegime
OP
Talking of controlling the media, did you know that some game journalists are refusing to review a recently released game, on the grounds that it features no black or lgbt characters at all?

The entertainment industry is right now the grip of an identity crisis... It is becoming a platform for political ideologies and feminists first, everything else second.

Soldato
Talking of controlling the media, did you know that some game journalists are refusing to review a recently released game, on the grounds that it features no black or lgbt characters at all?

The entertainment industry is right now the grip of an identity crisis... It is becoming a platform for political ideologies and feminists first, everything else second.

Which is why I stopped reading Eurogamer and removed it from my bookmark tab so I don't absentmindedly click on it. I recall them starting to stray into politics and lost ALL interest. I understand that near enough everyone now has an agenda to push or fall over one another to virtue signal, but not around me. Keep your crap politics, left or right WELL away from me.

Soldato

lol - what game is that?

Back
Top Bottom