This is hillarious (check your white male privilege)

Caporegime
OP
Kingdom Come Deliverance. Apparently some people are upset that a game based in 1400 Bohemia doesn't feature black people.
That's the one.

I think a lot of the protests were that the lead designer was quite dismissive when asked to put LGBT characters in his game. He said he wasn't going to, and then became a target for the types that like to shout "racist" at kitchen appliances.

Capodecina
Soldato
I do wish people would stop usng phrases such as "the downfall of society", "society is screwed", "sea change in society", "shape society", etc.; haven't you people learned yet that "There is no such thing as Society"?

As some other right-wing loony said "Too many tweets make a tw@t".

Soldato
You seem like a good poster but you're criticising someone who is a doctor and a professor without bothering to post any specifics at all. Which part is rubbish and why? Did you not like the phrase neo Marxist?

You’re quite right, it was a flippant comment. I’ll try to expand:

For such a clever bloke, he seems to deliberately ignore the obvious reasons why people might possibly rally together along lines of race or gender — namely that humans have been doing so for centuries and there’s a legacy that still has ramifications in society today.

He disregards any legitimate debate by instantly branding people as Postmodernist, SJW and Neo-Marxist (and yes I do think he overuses those labels).

He’s so quick to use the old adage “equality of opportunity not equality of outcome” but I don’t believe that’s what most civil rights activists want. The majority would love equality of opportunity — something we’re a long way from achieving.

That’s not to say that there aren’t far-left voices out there, and they do a good job of using Social Media to amplify their message (and I certainly don’t agree with them), but I think they are a minority that JP uses to tar the majority.

Caporegime
OP
I do wish people would stop usng phrases such as "the downfall of society", "society is screwed", "sea change in society", "shape society", etc.; haven't you people learned yet that "There is no such thing as Society"?
"There is no such thing as society" is a Maggie Thatcher quote. She may well have believed it.

But unless you're being ironic, society seems to be perfectly real where I'm sitting.

Caporegime
I think you're putting far too much reverence behind a Tweet with 41 responses. You can literally find any opinion on Twitter and point to it as some sort of societal rot - it's how a lot of tabloids tend to write their online content.

Caporegime
OP
I think you're putting far too much reverence behind a Tweet with 41 responses. You can literally find any opinion on Twitter and point to it as some sort of societal rot - it's how a lot of tabloids tend to write their online content.
But are they isolated instances when they are daily occurrences?

41 Tweets here, a Facebook storm there, a change.org petition, people being fired left right and centre, men taking pay cuts...

At what point is this all not purely coincidental, and at what point does it - taken together - amount to societal change?

Just the other day a chap lost his job as a developer because he posted on his personal social media account that he didn't agree with mass immigration or feminism, and was outed as "alt-right" before being hounded out of a job. Despite the quality of his work being praised by the community. The developer in full panic mode then claimed it had been a huge mistake not to have a female lead character in their game (OK...) and that they were desperately trying to get non-binary developers on staff...

Last edited:
Caporegime
White_Male_Privilege.png

Japan_Eliminates_White_Male_Privilege.png

Caporegime
But are they isolated instances when they are daily occurrences?

41 Tweets here, a Facebook storm there, a change.org petition, people being fired left right and centre, men taking pay cuts...

At what point is this all not purely coincidental, and at what point does it - taken together - amount to societal change?

Have you personally witnessed any of this change that you dislike?

Caporegime
Not at all, I just think you're seeing it as a much larger 'threat' or a set of views held by a much larger proportion of the population than is actually the case. "x happened on Twitter" is not generally news.

If it's making a lot of noise online and then out in the real world you can't see any sign of this perceived problem then it's likely not as present as online news might have you believe.

It's (presumably) easy to get wrapped up in YouTube celebrities getting worked up with each other and convince yourself that the thing they're talking about matters in any way.

Soldato
The mentally ill used to rely on radio phone-ins to spout their bile, now they have the internet.

Just like the religious. Constantly babbling on about Jebus and god. I often think that people who believe things without evidence have some kind of neurological disorder.

As for white male privilege, what does that even mean? I'm a white male and I don't see any privilege in it at all. The colour of your skin and your gender is irrelevant to me. As Martin Luther King said, it's the content of your character that matters.

Caporegime
"Argument" ensues over how white you have to be to have white privilege. Posters fall over each other to acknowledge their privilege and how awful they feel about it. A process for comparing privilege is established, with UK white men at the top of the charts and Brazillian white men somewhere lower down the chain. A white Kurd says that his white skin isn't as powerful, and that "Anglo white privilege" is the real privilege.

This could turn into a massive backfiring **** storm if someone where to ask, in the context of privilege and using the same sort of criteria, where white jewish people rank.

I think that is a good litmus test in general, when people are trying to criticise/generalise about a group, swap in another group and then see if they'd perhaps want to take a step back and re-evaluate.

For example take feminists statements online and swap "men" with "black people" then see what those statements sound like.

Likewise replacing white people/WASPs etc.. with Jews or carrying out the same analysis/using the same arguments about how they earn more, have greater representation of white men of company boards etc.. do the same thing with regards to Jewish people... suddenly the arguments these SJW types put forwards start sounding more like Nazi ones.

Caporegime
You know how it is. You type something into Google and one thing leads to another. Next thing you know you're on Twitter.

Anytime, anywhere ;)

What are you searching for that regularly comes up with this sort of thing?

It was said that the organiser made a mistake by not heavily promoting this event on forums for BAME/gay/trans developers. Tbh I didn't even know such a thing existed... a community of developers who separate themselves on the basis of their ethnicity or sexual orientation... why would development be different for black people? For lesbians? Anyway that's not the point; those places exist.

You mean a group of people with a common link coming together to discuss said link and help each other out?

Much like OcUK?

Or more seriously these kind of communities are all over the place, in every industry, with every possible connection. So yes, it makes sense there are communities for BAME and gay members of that industry, just like there are usually communities for women, for graduates/young people, for people of different nationalities, universities etc. etc.

Many of these communities will organize regular get together, seminars and events. It’s a pretty common occurrence.

Soldato
I do wish people would stop usng phrases such as "the downfall of society", "society is screwed", "sea change in society", "shape society", etc.;

It does make me chuckle when I read those comments and it's always from the usual suspects. You can look throughout the whole of human written history and you will find the same things being said by the older generation against the younger, because "they do something different than in my day"

You’re quite right, it was a flippant comment. I’ll try to expand:

For such a clever bloke, he seems to deliberately ignore the obvious reasons why people might possibly rally together along lines of race or gender — namely that humans have been doing so for centuries and there’s a legacy that still has ramifications in society today.

He disregards any legitimate debate by instantly branding people as Postmodernist, SJW and Neo-Marxist (and yes I do think he overuses those labels).

He’s so quick to use the old adage “equality of opportunity not equality of outcome” but I don’t believe that’s what most civil rights activists want. The majority would love equality of opportunity — something we’re a long way from achieving.

That’s not to say that there aren’t far-left voices out there, and they do a good job of using Social Media to amplify their message (and I certainly don’t agree with them), but I think they are a minority that JP uses to tar the majority.

Good post

Back
Top Bottom