[USA guns ahoy] Bill Proposed That Will Allow Teachers To Carry Guns In Schools

Soldato
indeed, as a german freind of mine put so eloquently "the americans sanctioned the killing of children after sandy hook"

also at what point did i ever mention banning guns? i mentioned restricting access to guns, which is a different thing entirely.

you mean they're looking at every option to stop school shooting except the obvious one that's been proven to work in multiple countries (not just the uk). what that tells me is either they don't care enough to do the right thing, or they're too stupid to recognise the obvious answer.

either way, it's not good.

How would you like to see them restricted?

Associate
While it is very obvious that Americans are not just british folk with a different accent, guns are still guns in what ever country they happen to be in.
Shooting a couple of dozen people dead for no reason is still a bad thing to do in any country and treating guns like they are some sort of to be worshiped deity is also very very wierd regardless of what country you are in.
It is however completely understandable if the person involved is a nutter, Yanks (many at least) are therefore nutters.

Soldato
How would you like to see them restricted?

well, the long term it would be prudent to take the example of other countries and use the rules and regulations that work internationally. principally licensing requiring justification for owning a firearm, but given that'll be "un constitutional" and apparently an amendment can't be amended we'll leave that for now.

however, in the short term, given we know it's possible, simply apply the same treatment to restrict semi-automatic firearms as has already been shown to work on fully automatic firearms.
so in short:
require transfer papers for all sales (either from a dealer or privately)
introduce a transfer tax to discourage purchase, this was set at $200 in the 30's as that was a lot of money, so adjust that for inflation
have a short-term amnesty to allow the registering of currently unregistered firearms
once the amnesty is over, mandatory prison time and confiscation of unregistered guns

Permabanned
The desire doesn't exist from the population for those changes. I have said several times that they do not want to change the laws, there isn't millions of people outside of the White House protesting for gun changes, they aren't voting for pro-gun control candidates on mass. The President is a Republican for Gods sake. In the UK we may look at it and feel changes are sensible or warranted, they ultimately don't. They know how many people get shot each year, a lot of them own guns, like guns, collect guns, enjoy shooting responsibly, donate to the NRA, they're quite happy with that. I don't know why people don't understand that.

Everyone understands that, just like we understand that something has to be changed to attempt to fix the issues.

You cant ignore the amount of deaths just because people like guns.

Wont be long before the country is affected in other ways due to the gun problem, such as tourism, of which Trump is already costing billions in lost revenue and thousands of jobs.

Soldato
It's wrong to suggest that Americans don't want to change the law regarding common sense gun legislation, the majority of Americans were supportive of Obama's background checks and restrictions, (the first steps after Sandy Hook) most people are fine with common sense legislation and most are fine with a ban on assault style rifles, it simply is not the case that people are against any form of legislation - maybe out in the sticks this is true, but overall it isn't.

The problem is that the government are working for the NRA and not the people, so nothing that the people want gets enacted.

Common sense legislation that would go a long way to solving this problem would go along the lines of;

Firearms licensing and age restrictions (minimum 21 year old) which isn't much different from alcohol purchasing..
Social media and mental health screening for license applicants
Full background checks on all purchases
Revoke the Brady law (gun show loophole) with strict penalties for law breakers
Outright ban on semi-automatic assault style rifles and bump stocks

Consider that out of the above elements, some of them would be enough to enable the TSA and Interpol to put someone on a no-fly list, but nobody would bat an eyelid if that same person were to buy an AR15..

Another big thing that I'm convinced would help, would be a media blackout on mass shootings - I understand it's practically impossible, but I was here (LA) during the Vegas massacre, the church shooting and now last weeks shooting. The news coverage has been psychotic, it gets turned into a week long event - we see everything, the killer, who he was, what he wrote on facebook, videos, pictures, background, court appearances, the media lead with the body count - it's just adding to the climate and it makes further shootings more likely, it's very bad indeed.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hierarchy of control... clearly went out of the window with this one :o

Soldato
Hopefully they'll be better trained than Chris Kyle because, from what I've heard, he was pretty handy with a gun, had several on him, and still got shot and killed by some nutter with a gun.

I'd be interested to hear where the funding for this will come from too as teachers are buying their own supplies right now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Issue them armour, ballistic helmet and a colt 45 on their first day in kindergarden.

I'm not sure .45acp is the best starter cartridge, surely a .22lr in a ruger to start them off with, just until they get strong enough to handle something like a glock in 9 parabellum.

Give the teachers .45's, as adults they'll be better at handling them.

Associate
It's called an amendment....

amendment
əˈmɛn(d)m(ə)nt/
noun
  1. a minor change or addition designed to improve a text, piece of legislation, etc.
    "an amendment to existing bail laws"
    synonyms: revision, alteration, change, modification, qualification, adaptation, adjustment;

Soldato
tl:dr but just in case it's not been mentioned. Giving a teacher a gun puts a weapon in a classroom where there might not have been one before: "Now the student has the gun." To misquote something I heard in a movie once. If they absolutely insist on arming teachers then why not something potentially non-lethal like a taser?

Another aspect, and again it might have been discussed in a previous thread here, is that most people are not natural cold blooded killers even in self defence or a military situation. They will either be slow to react, shoot to miss or just not shoot at all which will just make the situation worse.

Awful pun I know but at the end of the day, the Yanks need to bite the bullet, accept that a constitution drawn up 200 - 300 years ago to deal with Indians, Bandidos and various other assorted "bad" guys has no place in a modern civilised society. Sadly, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom