Winter 2017/2018 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Went to work this morning, but only half of the office was in and the office manager decided to close the office at 1PM and also stated the the office will be closed tomorrow. So the snow can be replaced by 20C+ and sunshine and I won't be going in tomorrow anyway, but I'm happy to keep the snow because I'm off for the next two weeks :p

Work in Cheltenham, but live about five miles east of the Welsh border and the snow was getting progressively worse on the way home. A48 reduced to 20MPH for the last couple of miles I had to do. Roads (steep hills) through my estate were completely white so I made the decision to throw the snow socks on the BMW and now the car is safe on the drive rather than parked on the side of the main road waiting for someone to hit it. Absolutely zero drama with the snow socks, definitely recommend them for getting you out of a tricky situation.

Soldato
Soldato
Well, you jumped on the defensive straight away to a light-hearted comment, you're demonstrating the exact behaviours you claim to hate on this forum.

Maybe a better term would have been "If you fling enough **** some of it will stick".
Lol whatever, I am enjoying the weather.

Soldato
Just come back from a not so quick trip to West End Road petrol station, to make use of the Tesco Express, the roads are horrid... Up to ~10cm of snow, which is fine when uncompacted, but underneath some of it is lethal ice and compacted snow from car tyres!

Average speed on my studded tyre bike was under 5mph, even the unusually low number of cars on West End Road were doing 10mph tops.

Man of Honour
So how was Winter for you guys? :D

We've had hardly anything :( barely 1 cm covering despite several showers of it blowing through.

EDIT: Since posting had a another squall of it come in putting another 1-2 inches down:

6yc4IZL.jpg

Its picking up again at the minute but dunno how long it will last.

Last edited:
Soldato
The red warning we just endured really does show how soft we are in the south. A breeze with around 4-5 inches of snow over the course of the afternoon.
Pretty sure we never had a red warning for that in the 80's when it wasn't exactly a rare occurrence!

Soldato
quoted for the truth :)

I said the snow is heavy, not that we have a foot of snow hehehe. Mind you, still blizzard type conditions right now, so who knows what we will wake up to tomorrow morning.

The missus has been trying to get out of town for almost 3 hours now, the flyovers are shut as people cant get up them..

M3 south of a303 is treacherous, M27 is lethal. Had to abandon my car a walk from home over on the edge of the new forest, roads are mostly ice so you almost don't make bends and barely stop.

Man of Honour
The red warning we just endured really does show how soft we are in the south. A breeze with around 4-5 inches of snow over the course of the afternoon.
Pretty sure we never had a red warning for that in the 80's when it wasn't exactly a rare occurrence!

We were more prepared for it then - back in the 80s come winter and if the weather started turning my dad would stick some shovels, rope, torches, etc. etc. into the car, mum would stock up a bit on longer life foods, etc. pretty much no one does that now and last few years have made people even less likely to unless they live on high ground, etc.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting as supposedly we will have a little bit of rain/sleet around mid-night to 3am before turning back to heavy snow so probably a fair bit of ice under the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom