BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Is mixing the fluids what causes the filter to get covered in slime?
I had to remove it on my previous E92 to get the washers to work, was a bit of a pain to get at.

Soldato
Yup, mixing the screenwash is bad. Have had this happen before and paid the price. I use the BMW stuff now as I don't get through much of it and it's quite good.

Soldato
I don’t know if it’s mixing fluids or just using the generic ready to use stuff that you can buy at every garage, but I had the washers block in my E91 on at least 8 separate occasions in 4 years of use. It was a company car leased through Alphabet so I just threw it at the BMW dealer and they sorted it each time. No idea if there was a bill to be paid.

When I bought my own car I googled the issue and saw that no-one using BMW’s own screenwash had the same problem, so I bought a 20L container of it from the dealer and I’ve used it for 3 years with no issues at all so far. For the price I paid (£54 for 20L = £2.70 / litre) I think it’s excellent screenwash; it doesn’t freeze even highly diluted, it doesn’t smear, cleans well and smells nice too.

Soldato
Genuine question and not intended to start an argument: I'm wondering what's so special about BMW's washer jets, versus those in any other car, that requires their particular fluid in order for it not to clog up? I've never known any other vehicle to require this, or have issues with cheapo supermarket screenwash, and I've never thought to myself "this experience is substandard" whilst using the windscreen washers in any non-BMW that I've driven!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Probably going to ginx myself now, but I've never once had an issue with my washer jets on any of my BMWs and I have never used BMW screen wash, always cheap-o garage or Halfords stuff.

Perhaps it's only those in hard water areas maybe?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Can anyon source me the correct battery for an e34 535i please? I think it should be an 85ah but as you guys know I am no expert. Thank you

Soldato
Soldato
Genuine question and not intended to start an argument: I'm wondering what's so special about BMW's washer jets, versus those in any other car, that requires their particular fluid in order for it not to clog up? I've never known any other vehicle to require this, or have issues with cheapo supermarket screenwash, and I've never thought to myself "this experience is substandard" whilst using the windscreen washers in any non-BMW that I've driven!

I was wondering this as well... have mixed halfords with whatever stuff audi and VW uses with no problems
I've read it's something to do with filters but surely if the issue has been around for a while they would swap filters? or maybe another way to get out of warranty claims using the same filter

Soldato
In fairness, for £12 delivered to your door for 5 litres of the Genuine BMW stuff - it's good value as well, because it's -63c stuff neat, rather than the usual -5c stuff from Halford/supermarkets, which means it goes much much further when diluted.

I normally mix it 1:5 and it is still a mid/deep blue colour and it has never frozen or struggled to get bug stains off the window. This means it makes 30 litres for £12 or 40p/litre. Conversely, the very best value non branded stuff is from EuroCarParts/CP4Less for around £3.50 for 5 litres and you have to use it neat to get -5c protection, and can't be diluted anymore than 1:1 before it comes too weak (use it in my girlfriends car at 1:1 and it frozen last week). So that's £3.50 for 10 litres or 35p/litre.

If you buy screenwash from Tesco/Sainsbury's/Halfords its normally way more than the ECP stuff so it is likely to work out cheaper to get the BMW stuff.

Caporegime
In fairness, for £12 delivered to your door for 5 litres of the Genuine BMW stuff - it's good value as well, because it's -63c stuff neat, rather than the usual -5c stuff from Halford/supermarkets, which means it goes much much further when diluted.

I normally mix it 1:5 and it is still a mid/deep blue colour and it has never frozen or struggled to get bug stains off the window. This means it makes 30 litres for £12 or 40p/litre. Conversely, the very best value non branded stuff is from EuroCarParts/CP4Less for around £3.50 for 5 litres and you have to use it neat to get -5c protection, and can't be diluted anymore than 1:1 before it comes too weak (use it in my girlfriends car at 1:1 and it frozen last week). So that's £3.50 for 10 litres or 35p/litre.

If you buy screenwash from Tesco/Sainsbury's/Halfords its normally way more than the ECP stuff so it is likely to work out cheaper to get the BMW stuff.

Where can you find if £12 delivered?

Caporegime
Can anyon source me the correct battery for an e34 535i please? I think it should be an 85ah but as you guys know I am no expert. Thank you
78ah according to the .pdf handbook I have although Halfrauds suggests an 85ah.

Make sure you get one that’ll fit the battery vent.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
78ah according to the .pdf handbook I have although Halfrauds suggests an 85ah.

Make sure you get one that’ll fit the battery vent.

Thanks Scania, I went and had a look and I do not have one currently fitted :confused: will make sure I get a tube connected.

Caporegime
Thanks Scania, I went and had a look and I do not have one currently fitted :confused: will make sure I get a tube connected.
No problem, fwiw, I got a “HAL HSB019” (that’s what’s on the receipt, cba to go out to the car to see what it is!) for my e38 from Halfrauds, different car I know but I was swayed by the 5 year no quibble warranty and it was “only” £125 which was far better than the £230 odd my local BMW stealer quoted me!

I left my sidelights on for ~ 8 hours the other night (-6 temp too!) yet it turned over as normal and fired instantly as per ever, checked the voltage at work and it was still 12.6v with the engine off, not bad I thought!

I normally wouldn’t recommend Halfrauds but assuming you’ll fit the battery yourself I found them very good value compared to ECP and GSF at my time of searching - I wouldn’t trust them to touch the car mind you!!!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Thanks again my friend, I will pop round in the morning and see what they are saying as it's just around the corner. Much appreciated :)

What mileage is your e38 hitting now? Have you had many issues? Apart from a coolant pipe and a little welding on the jack points my e34 has been my most reliable car haha :) oh and an exhaust mount issue, but all was very minor.

Caporegime
Just ticked over 61k - not bad for 18 years old! - it failed its recent MOT on two front ball joints (which replacement has transformed how it drives) and it had advisories for two rear tyres which I replaced with Nexen’s due to lack of availability of anything better but, tbh they seem just fine....

For its age it’s been fantastic, I expected more issues but have - as of yet - had none.

Vindication in my mind of buying the best one owner low miles example I could find, despite the nay sayers in this place!

Not a sensible purchase,I know, but I wanted another and hung out for the best I could find and it hasn’t disappointed. :)

Proper BMW’s both, built by engineers not accountants.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The M8 Gran Coupe concept looks stunning. I can see that design translating to reality very easily given more recent M cars like the M4.

The only thing I know won't translate into reality is the concept wing mirrors. They look superb, but you know it will be those BMW mirror housings that are twice the height and more square than a sleek rectangle.

Recently I've been extremely pleased with how my car has behaved given the weather it's been through. At 105k, I fully expected something to grumble or fail as most of the week it sits on the driveway gathering dust and adsorbing the elements. But nothing has gone wrong. Am I jinxing myself now?

Soldato

Same here. I've never had a problem putting in any screen wash, including diluted washing up liquid. I do have a water softener, if that makes a difference. Perhaps BMW washer jets are just inconsistently crap.

Back
Top Bottom