BMW and M Power Owners

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Yeah that is a good shout. We have been looking at more family sensible options like Qashqais and Hyundai ix35's too, just part of me would really like to have something that's nice to drive (I know it's only a 1.8 but I imagine it'd go a fair bit better than a 1.6 focus OR almost any small SUV) and well spec'd, and just wondered if that was a decent specimen.

Will take a look closer at the Focuses, quite soulless though.
That E91 doesn't have much in the way of spec though :p

Arguably yes, but, just because the internet is full of tales of woe on old BMW’s it doesn’t mean they are all crap, far from it!
[...]
Depends entirely what a car is to you, what you want from it and what it means to you and all of that is endlessly subjective.
I totally agree. But would you risk it for a horrible E91 with cloth seats and business nav? :p

Caporegime
I totally agree. But would you risk it for a horrible E91 with cloth seats and business nav? :p
No, I wouldn’t, it has to be something a bit special at the very least, I quite agree!

Modern BMW’s - or indeed anything - leave me cold, I’d far rather a mint e28 over an e60 or - heaven forbid - an f10, an e38 over an e65 or even f01, an e21 over an e46 and so on.

The later ones are technically superior undoubtedly, do they have the panache of the older “originals”?

Perhaps my age, I don’t know.

The e91 though for all its potential flaws still ,just, beats a generic spec Ford / Vauxhall equivalent....

Soldato
My F30 with the blue M Perf big brakes needs new front discs and pads. BMW have quoted just under £700 to do them but I was wondering if there are OEM parts available which might reduce the price? Also I love the look of the slotted./dimpled discs and yes I know and have seen the vids where it's suggested that the standard are better but they would work out at around £70 more so am wondering again if there are OEM versions out there that I can pick up.

I thought I read somewhere that BMW OEM discs are Zimmermann but looking on their website certainly the slotted/dimpled discs look nothing like the BMW versions?

Caporegime
My F30 with the blue M Perf big brakes needs new front discs and pads. BMW have quoted just under £700 to do them but I was wondering if there are OEM parts available which might reduce the price? Also I love the look of the slotted./dimpled discs and yes I know and have seen the vids where it's suggested that the standard are better but they would work out at around £70 more so am wondering again if there are OEM versions out there that I can pick up.

I thought I read somewhere that BMW OEM discs are Zimmermann but looking on their website certainly the slotted/dimpled discs look nothing like the BMW versions?

Believe mine were pagid on the 6. Bye quoted me 600 for front discs and pads. I could buy the parts for 350. I found an indy that did the job for 320.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
£320 incl parts and labour? Impressive.

I had an indy replace my front discs and pads but they did a **** job as there's a rumble under braking at speed and the brake sensitivity is never the same. I never really know whether I'll end up doing an emergency stop when I tap the brakes. (slight exaggeration, but it's annoying).
Get what you pay for I guess..

Posted about it on here before, and they probably didn't clean it when changing the brakes and left some air in the system.

Caporegime
£320 incl parts and labour? Impressive.

I had an indy replace my front discs and pads but they did a **** job as there's a rumble under braking at speed and the brake sensitivity is never the same. I never really know whether I'll end up doing an emergency stop when I tap the brakes. (slight exaggeration, but it's annoying).
Get what you pay for I guess..

Posted about it on here before, and they probably didn't clean it when changing the brakes and left some air in the system.

Yup. DW MOTORWORKS. Very very good. Watched them do the work and everything was done correctly.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Lol. I was all set to do it myself and called them on the off chance. I've used them before and can't fault them at all. Plus the workshop is an awesome Aladdins cave of bmw bits!
A colleague has put me in touch with "a guy from the gym who works on Porsches in his garage for €15/hr". I'll take the Chevy Spark there and keep you posted :D

Soldato
Yup. DW MOTORWORKS. Very very good. Watched them do the work and everything was done correctly.

That's good news, mine have been sitting on 3,200 miles for ages now and I suspect they'll need doing soon. It's in BMW for some warranty work and a service in a couple of weeks so I'll get them to measure everything and if they need doing, pass it back to Dean to get them done :) Already been quoted £4xx from someone using Zimmerman and Textar, but I'd rather use BMW parts.

Soldato
As above and also the 18i/20i with the N42 and N46 (and the diesel N47 18d/20d) have a lot of issues with timing chain/belt(?) which make them an engine to avoid
Hi mate, have dug a bit more into this. I think the model I'm looking at is an N43, not an N46. The N43 doesn't throw up anywhere near as many timing chain issues when I google it. Is there anything else on this engine I should be weary about?

Scrap that, sounds like the N43 is even worse...

Last edited:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
I’m now a BMW owner again. Pics to follow once I’ve tidied it up a bit and it’s a bit nicer outside, but it’s a 2005 130i in Le Mans Blue with a dodgy M badge stuck on the back and a misted up headlight.

Yay.

Back
Top Bottom