BMW and M Power Owners

mjt

mjt

Soldato
So, do I qualify for this club? This is definitely going to polarise opinions...

6rhka5A_d.jpg.png

BMW i3S fully electric. Apologies if the image doesn’t appear correctly trying to post from my phone!

Happy to answer any questions... really enjoying it. The chassis is extremely playful.
Looks awesome; envious!

Soldato
what sort of range do you get in the i3? how much is cost etc?

Range - in winter with snow on the ground it's c.100 miles. That's with the optional heat pump so there's only a very small penalty for keeping the cabin warm. I've read that once the weather warms up it'll be c.130. There's no way to sugar coat it, the range isn't great. But these days I rarely do more than that in a day and of course it starts every morning fully charged. It also charges very quickly on rapid chargers. I've done a few runs out of range to test them and a 20min stop gets it from 30% to 90% or so.

Cost - it's expensive to buy but running costs are very, very low at <£3 a charge from completely flat. Brakes won't wear in normal driving as it slows with the motor. Tyres will probably be pricey at the awkward sizes. It definitely isn't cheap.

The best part is the driving experience. It's serene and driving with one pedal braking is very relaxing in traffic. The instant torque is also very addictive and it feels much quicker than I was expecting. Worth the range sacrifice for me.

I was originally going to get a Tesla Model 3 but got tired of all the delays.

Soldato
Soldato
Range - in winter with snow on the ground it's c.100 miles. That's with the optional heat pump so there's only a very small penalty for keeping the cabin warm. I've read that once the weather warms up it'll be c.130. There's no way to sugar coat it, the range isn't great. But these days I rarely do more than that in a day and of course it starts every morning fully charged. It also charges very quickly on rapid chargers. I've done a few runs out of range to test them and a 20min stop gets it from 30% to 90% or so.

Cost - it's expensive to buy but running costs are very, very low at <£3 a charge from completely flat. Brakes won't wear in normal driving as it slows with the motor. Tyres will probably be pricey at the awkward sizes. It definitely isn't cheap.

The best part is the driving experience. It's serene and driving with one pedal braking is very relaxing in traffic. The instant torque is also very addictive and it feels much quicker than I was expecting. Worth the range sacrifice for me.

I was originally going to get a Tesla Model 3 but got tired of all the delays.
Model 3 looks weird anyway, i3 looks cool :D

Soldato
Here is first BMW. Not as well spec'd as most of the cars in this thread, but, I live in the Republic of Ireland and you are lucky to get basic specs for a decent price.

It's an M Sport 120D. Comes with a Sunroof. Currently has run flats, but it seems the general opinion is that you should swap them out for normal tyres for reduced road noise and increased comfort.

Awaiting better photos.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, do I qualify for this club? This is definitely going to polarise opinions...

6rhka5A_d.jpg.png

BMW i3S fully electric. Apologies if the image doesn’t appear correctly trying to post from my phone!

Happy to answer any questions... really enjoying it. The chassis is extremely playful.
Very nice.

Some good deals around in them too, was thinking of getting one as a city run about.

Soldato
Is your bonnet open in the first picture? If not something isn't quite right.

Are you talking about my photos? If so, no, the bonnet isn't open. It's just the angle of the photo. The bonnet lines up perfectly with the groves going down the sides of the headlights to the wheel arches.

Well I hope it's ok, I got checked by my local garage, a BMW dealer and ran a motor check on it before buying and they all said it was in perfect condition.

Man of Honour
I did enjoy my 120d when I had it

But yeah that bonnet gap doesn't look right. I've got lots of pics of mine (same shape and colour) somewhere, will check if mine was the same but I don't remember it being that obvious

Soldato
I did enjoy my 120d when I had it

But yeah that bonnet gap doesn't look right. I've got lots of pics of mine (same shape and colour) somewhere, will check if mine was the same but I don't remember it being that obvious

Just took a look around at photos online and it seems to be vary from car to car. I still think it's the angle of the photo and the close distance that I am taking the picture from.

Soldato
Honestly, if you want something that won't give you mounting repair bills, don't buy a 7-year-old BMW. FWIW, the E91 isn't all that big either.

Get something like a Focus Estate. Boot is huge, quite a few petrols around, and you can get 2014s in budget..
FWIW I bought a 2013 focus estate yesterday, cheers for the tip.

Soldato
I’m now a BMW owner again. Pics to follow once I’ve tidied it up a bit and it’s a bit nicer outside, but it’s a 2005 130i in Le Mans Blue with a dodgy M badge stuck on the back and a misted up headlight.

Yay.
Oh no, now there's two of us on here with one.. mine is a 2006 though :p

Back
Top Bottom