Flickr bought out by smugmug

Soldato
I received an email today from Flickr informing me of their takeover by smugmug. I've never heard of them so have no expectations of what they plan to do with the service under their ownership but it makes me concerned.
I now need to investigate what export options I have in Flickr to bulk save my library with a view to maybe losing what I have.

I know it says nothing will change, but I've fallen foul of believing this in the past and would like to be prepared should the worst happen.

Anyone got any experience with smugmug?

1D7YZkiXMjA7um-mBBSw2UX8Pil6KMlmiG23-yJhls4q97GbIzvFfBeSlKfNyI9nJusFakt9JL5pCsXKcSsH6OGGwGcQv6NkMUzG-2uBiWRELB-x=s0-d-e1-ft

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.
SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account.You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
The Flickr Team

Your use of Flickr is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service and Privacy Policy and the Flickr Community Guidelines

Associate
I've been using Smugmug for a few years now to sell my work. They host my site and allows customers to purchase prints which are printed and sent out b Loxley Colour. I've had no issues with them in the past and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Caporegime
I prefer Onedrive myself, well integrated into windows and £4.50 a month for 1TB of storage and a 50GB exchange email account, 100GB is way too small for photos these days.

Though the OP should not be storing everything only in the cloud. He should have a local copy of the photos.

Caporegime
Onedrive works basically like an external hard drive, there's a folder for it in my computer and you can just drag and drop files into it, or you can set directories on your computer to automatically be backed up, it is tightly integrated into Windows so there's no need to install any apps.

For example I can set windows backup to do a bare metal backup of my entire computer and put it into the onedrive folder.

The files are copied as they are, no lossy compression.

If you need privacy you can encrypt the volume of files first before sending to the cloud.

Soldato
My Flickr Pro account has been on auto renew for a while now, and this is probably the prompt I need to get rid of it once and for all. Such a shame that they didn't build on a really promising start all those years ago.

Soldato
I prefer Onedrive myself, well integrated into windows and £4.50 a month for 1TB of storage and a 50GB exchange email account, 100GB is way too small for photos these days.

Though the OP should not be storing everything only in the cloud. He should have a local copy of the photos.

Wow, seems Windows pre-installing proprietary software does work! It's a bit cheaper, I'll give you that, but otherwise Google Drive is as well integrated into Windows once installed, which is hardly a hardship.

Soldato
Hope they fix Explore which lately has been full of bird photos..

Explore is awful. Use to actually have absolutely stunning images and enjoy going through them. Now it's people "playing the game" because few groups have worked out the algorithm and you literally get the most basic snaps on there. It's also a handful of about 30 people who keep getting top few images.

Back
Top Bottom