Mountain Biking

Caporegime
For reference I'm interested in doing this and similar sorts of riding, for which it seems like 29ers could make a big difference.

https://deesidetrail.co.uk/route/

I know air forks are all the rage but I think I'd appreciate the relative simplicity of decent coil forks, and the overall weights of the bikes seem almost identical.

They are very similar, and they aren't decent. Generally a decent coil fork costs more than air. Most mtbs would prefer coil but it's normally too expensive and too much hassle.The solo air in the air fork is actually very good for a budget fork.

It all depends on how you get on with it, but I wouldn't touch a coil fork without it being very good. Straight away if the spring rate isn't correct, your going to be diving everywhere or the other scale have pretty much no suspension.

Either should be fine for something like the above though, aslong as your not doing it one day! Or have legs bigger than my waist :p

Or go full XC/Adventure type bike.

Soldato
I mean I am like 75-80 kg which I understand is pretty close to the range they tend to set up coil forks for, but I guess the option to change it for carrying a bikepacking load would be welcome.

I think the way one of the discounts works is that it has to be in stock on the Trek website, which led me to consider the X-Cal 8 that I think I could get for around 400 but I'll have to check... think the frame and 29ers make that worth spending a little more on than the Pinnacle?

Caporegime
I mean I am like 75-80 kg which I understand is pretty close to the range they tend to set up coil forks for, but I guess the option to change it for carrying a bikepacking load would be welcome.

I think the way one of the discounts works is that it has to be in stock on the Trek website, which led me to consider the X-Cal 8 that I think I could get for around 400 but I'll have to check... think the frame and 29ers make that worth spending a little more on than the Pinnacle?

If you can get the X-Cal 8 for £400 then it doesn't seem as bad a deal. Infact it's pretty decent. The coil fork won't be great, it's one of the lowest RS do, but it doesn't sound like you're wanting to descend like a border line idiot. So you'll be fine.

Most other bikes that price range come with a hell of a lot less spec and are heavier.

Evans site is weird for the 8 (2018 model), it list different components to the trek site and shows pitcures of different components. The component list for the 2018 (on the trek site, and in the photos is better). But of course it's a fair price jump.

Soldato
Yeah I noticed that but it's a fool's errand trying to get them to fix stuff on their website :D Pretty sure going to the 8 gets you the air sprung version of the RS 30 Silver, Deore 10x2, Race Face cranks and Duster Elite rims.Same brakes but they seem decent enough. I asked them to get me a quote and check the stock anyway, fingers crossed.

Caporegime
Yeah I noticed that but it's a fool's errand trying to get them to fix stuff on their website :D Pretty sure going to the 8 gets you the air sprung version of the RS 30 Silver, Deore 10x2, Race Face cranks and Duster Elite rims.Same brakes but they seem decent enough. I asked them to get me a quote and check the stock anyway, fingers crossed.

If it's the 2018 version for £400 do it!

Soldato
My continental King tire has a bit of a gauge out of it. What's best to replace it with? its a 27.5 wheel. tire iirc is 2.2. bikes only used for trail centre riding.

Soldato
Need to bleed/replace the fluid on my dads Trek 8000, sadly they're Avid/SRAM Juicy 5, thankfully I have Elixir R on mine so already had the bleed kit, but its a PITA and I hate DOT fluid. Only thing is I rebuilt my Elixirs last year with new internals, I cannot find any of the Juicy 5 internal kits in the U.K, none on ebay UK (can only see them from the U.S).

Soldato
I'm glad I dithced my Juicy 7 brakes for Formula (yeah I know) a good fwe years ago, great brakes the juicy 7's were, when they worked. Bleeding them was an absolute PITA like you are experiencing @VaderDSL

Shimano now on both my bikes and the Mrs. Bleeding is a doddle.

Soldato
For reference I'm interested in doing this and similar sorts of riding, for which it seems like 29ers could make a big difference.

https://deesidetrail.co.uk/route/

I know air forks are all the rage but I think I'd appreciate the relative simplicity of decent coil forks, and the overall weights of the bikes seem almost identical.

I've been looking at that too but there's another race I want to do on the same date as the group start so Deeside might have to wait until next year (or an ITT).

29er would definitely be the better option for that type of riding.

Looks like there will be a bit of hike-a-bike so less weight on the front wheel really makes a difference for dragging it over rocks. Especially if you're planning an overnight stop and you've got the bike loaded with sleeping kit.

Caporegime
I'm glad I dithced my Juicy 7 brakes for Formula (yeah I know) a good fwe years ago, great brakes the juicy 7's were, when they worked. Bleeding them was an absolute PITA like you are experiencing @VaderDSL

Shimano now on both my bikes and the Mrs. Bleeding is a doddle.

Just a shame the new XTM8000s are awful.

My rear brake is either needing rebuilt or put in the bin :(

I need to sort it out really, but it feels dreadful. The front is ok, but the modulation isn't the best. But the back sticks, squeals like mad randomly, has awful lever feel. Sometimes it's normal and then the next lever pull it barely moves to lock up the rear wheel.

I'm sorely tempted to just get a whole new groupset, this is now the 2nd XT mech I'm on and the clutch mech has died on it. I mean the whole mech is at an angle! But the amount of chain drops I'm getting from it now is just stupid. But with a new wheelset, my fork and shock needing serviced and a new groupset on top. I could've bought a new bike :(

Soldato
Just got back from an afternoon at Leeds Urban Bike Park. Fantastic place. Thoroughly enjoyed the pump and jump tracks and then rode the woodland trails nearby which were excellent!. Such a nice flow to them.

They are developing what looks like a hell of a technical downhill trail too.

Definitely recommend it. Free parking and great coffee and food in cafe.

Soldato
Not good to hear, I was keen on the whole groupo, but now not too sure anymore.

I just swapped my leaking XTs (they are 4/5 years old and have been well used) to Zee brakes which are excellent with better modulation despite being 4 pot. Weight wise they seemed very similar to the XTs, they must be getting replaced by Shimano soon as they were only £80 each which was less than new XTs.

I have Saints on another bike and cannot tell the difference performance wise over the Zees, they seem a bargain at the current prices.

Soldato
I'm looking at ordering the Guide RE for my new bike. Code calipers with Guide levers, and they're getting some really good write ups for normal trail bikes. Looks like a set can be had for £160 as well!

Soldato
Just a shame the new XTM8000s are awful.

My rear brake is either needing rebuilt or put in the bin :(

Not good to hear, I was keen on the whole groupo, but now not too sure anymore.

Early M8000's had a bad reputation for some sets being problematic even after a proper bleed. I believe Shimano were replacing them and have now sorted the issue out, whatever it was.

Both of my M8000 XT Brake sets are flawless. They're spot on, only need one bleed (when I shortened the hoses) and they're been on the money ever since. They stop me and the new Shan rather promptly :D

Associate
I was washing my bike down today and discovered some damage to the rear drop out, it's where the carbon frame attaches to the alloy drop out, it still feels absolutely solid, no flex or give at all.

What's anyone's thinking, knackered frame or superficial?

https://ibb.co/eVMXbT

https://ibb.co/cBmXbT

cBmXbT

eVMXbT

Back
Top Bottom