Mountain Biking

Soldato
I'm looking at ordering the Guide RE for my new bike. Code calipers with Guide levers, and they're getting some really good write ups for normal trail bikes. Looks like a set can be had for £160 as well!
I've used a few brakes now on various demo bikes and my own and I've come to the following conclusions:

XT's are powerful but far too on/off, there's no modulation.
Deore brakes (my own) have much better modulation but are lacking a bit of power, however sintered pads and a 200mm front disc would probably sort that.
Guide R's are decent, loads of modulation but not huge amounts of power.
Code R's - loads of power AND modulation!!

However, every set of SRAM brakes I've tried I haven't been able to get the lever bite point far enough out, even with the adjuster to the limit. It might just be that the pistons needed pushing out a bit but I prefer a bike point quite far out, my motorbike habits are too ingrained - the ability to have a feather touch on the brakes and not have them have 3" of play is a big deal.

I've yet to try Hope tech 3 E/V4's but I think they are going to be the best mix of power, modulation and adjustability. Just so happens they look brilliant too :D

Caporegime
Not good to hear, I was keen on the whole groupo, but now not too sure anymore.

TBF my front brake is fine. Just the rear, but I don't get along with them as much as I did the Zees. Losing two mechs so far has been a disappointment mind, this one is a mixture of the two (hence why the clutch doesn't quite work so well). It took a spoke out when it went bonkers too, gentle incline into about 30km of riding after a few tough steep stuff. So not poorly indexed or setup (which I thought was the issue with the first).

I'm tempted to put my Zee calipers onto my XT levers.

Soldato
I've used a few brakes now on various demo bikes and my own and I've come to the following conclusions:

XT's are powerful but far too on/off, there's no modulation.
Deore brakes (my own) have much better modulation but are lacking a bit of power, however sintered pads and a 200mm front disc would probably sort that.
Guide R's are decent, loads of modulation but not huge amounts of power.
Code R's - loads of power AND modulation!!

However, every set of SRAM brakes I've tried I haven't been able to get the lever bite point far enough out, even with the adjuster to the limit. It might just be that the pistons needed pushing out a bit but I prefer a bike point quite far out, my motorbike habits are too ingrained - the ability to have a feather touch on the brakes and not have them have 3" of play is a big deal.

I've yet to try Hope tech 3 E/V4's but I think they are going to be the best mix of power, modulation and adjustability. Just so happens they look brilliant too :D

I never used to like Avid brakes previously, but these seemed to tick all the boxes I was after. Now I just need a bike to put them on!

Soldato
Zee brakes .

I'm not overly concerned with weight, but my frame's a bit on the chubby side, so would prefer to try and keep it down where I can, without diminishing returns. Think the Zee would add 140ish gram over the Xts iirc.

Both of my M8000 XT Brake sets are flawless. They're spot on, only need one bleed (when I shortened the hoses) and they're been on the money ever since. They stop me and the new Shan rather promptly :D

I've personally only ever had great experience with Shimano, so would prefer to stick with them - certainly won't be thinking of going Sram Guide or the like.

I'm tempted to put my Zee calipers onto my XT levers.

Frankenbrakes rule!
Pretty good thread on the subject here: http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/frankenbrakes-and-brake-improvement-discussion.274164/

Caporegime
I'm not overly concerned with weight, but my frame's a bit on the chubby side, so would prefer to try and keep it down where I can, without diminishing returns. Think the Zee would add 140ish gram over the Xts iirc.

I've personally only ever had great experience with Shimano, so would prefer to stick with them - certainly won't be thinking of going Sram Guide or the like.

Frankenbrakes rule!
Pretty good thread on the subject here: http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/frankenbrakes-and-brake-improvement-discussion.274164/

New XT 4pots seem good. Not sure on weights etc. Not that I normally look at weights.......as I'm not some xc weight weenie ;)

Hoping mine need a bleed. But I loved the zees, but prefer the XT levers. Plus Ispec II. Nice link! Looks like it should work easy enough.

Soldato
Mate has just changed his 2pot xt callipers out for the new 4pot callipers... awaiting his shock back from Fox for Shan no.5 and I'll report back when I've managed to have a go of them!

Caporegime
I think there are better value bikes. The jeffsy stood out to me two years ago but now it doesn't seem so special.

Value doesn't always = good though.

Those Jeffsys get great reviews, and although not incredible value for the kit. The frame + kit do make them quite the bargain.

Soldato
They are good bikes no doubt but when I look about and see deals on things like the Commencal Meta Am last week, the vitus this week and some great deals on nukeproof megas I can't justify 3k for a jeffsy.

I'm in a humming and harring phase right now i think. 2019 bikes will be round corner and 2018 reductions will be inbound in a few month.

Damnit I want one though.

Caporegime
They are good bikes no doubt but when I look about and see deals on things like the Commencal Meta Am last week, the vitus this week and some great deals on nukeproof megas I can't justify 3k for a jeffsy.

I'm in a humming and harring phase right now i think. 2019 bikes will be round corner and 2018 reductions will be inbound in a few month.

Damnit I want one though.

Last review I read, it got compared to his Hightower LT. Which is an awesome riding bike. Though I've not ridden the YT yet.

The ally one is £2000, obviously not as good specced as the commencal the other week though.

Back
Top Bottom