• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel - Going Nowhere, Fast.

Soldato
Good analysis. They've had a fire lit under them so they'll be back with a vengeance. Given Intel's resources AMD should never get close to them but most of this decade they've rested on their laurels. Feels like we're beginning another phase of rapid progress in PC technology.

Soldato
I think everyone is underestimating Intel's mindshare. Even when AMD had an clearly superior product in server and workstation (and they arguably do now too), they were't able to capitalise on it due to the ties (R.E. bribes/threats) Intel have with OEMs. It's a slightly different world now with big tech companies/cloud, not that they ever paid the Intel list price anyway. Epyc will make AMD some nice cash but Intel, even with a daft lineup of under-specced CPUs will make more.

2019-2020 are key for AMD, they need to break into server/OEM like never before to have a chance of market parity. This would be a good thing for everyone (except Intel shareholders)

Caporegime
I think everyone is underestimating Intel's mindshare. Even when AMD had an clearly superior product in server and workstation (and they arguably do now too), they were't able to capitalise on it due to the ties (R.E. bribes/threats) Intel have with OEMs. It's a slightly different world now with big tech companies/cloud, not that they ever paid the Intel list price anyway. Epyc will make AMD some nice cash but Intel, even with a daft lineup of under-specced CPUs will make more.

2019-2020 are key for AMD, they need to break into server/OEM like never before to have a chance of market parity. This would be a good thing for everyone (except Intel shareholders)

Intel's mindshare is in decline, everyone who matters knows thier CPU's are riddled with security holes, everyother week there is a collection of new holes discovered in Intel's architecture.
AMD have doubled their share in the server space since Zen, granted its starting from an almost none existent base but their share continues to grow at a good pace.

Associate
Return to the fold then.
http://www.amigaos.net/
Last Christmas I bought this thing still in it's original shipping box ;)
Amiga_Box2.jpg

https://s25.postimg.cc/w0ra7wkgv/Amiga3.jpg
This Amiga was made over 20 years ago and it still looks and runs games like magic! :eek:
Been trying out some classics like Cannon Fodder, The Chaos Engine and Desert Strike.
And I must say the Lotus 2 soundtrack still sounds good!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Everytime MS tries something new everyone ends crying. PEOPLE DONT LIKE CHANGE

Some things, that were different but ultimately a good idea, people have come around to - other things were simply bad decisions by MS.

Removing the traditional start menu in 8 for instance was just stupid - OSes didn't evolve to that style by accident (and it was adopted by more than just Windows - in many cases before Windows did it). For a significant proportion of users the pop up menu atyle is simply the most efficient system for how they use an OS - just like for some users the system in 8 will be the most efficient for them (so implementing it isn't a bad thing in isolation) and for other users nothing will replace being able to efficiently search/filter by text.

Windows 10 is just bad - a few potentially great ideas, which could have been an evolution of how people use an OS, poorly implemented while a lot of useful/normal functionality is lacking, unfinished or fragmented and all too many areas that have a pants on head approaches that they are too stubborn to undo despite the obnoxious impact on the end user.

The increasing number of mitigations they are having to implement for things which weren't traditionally a problem until they made them a problem really should clue them into that they need a serious rethink.

Soldato
Everytime MS tries something new everyone ends crying. PEOPLE DONT LIKE CHANGE
Well, when their focus is on data mining rather than improving the user experience then I think it's understandable when people get upset. Some people have stuttering issues in games on Windows 10 related to the standby memory being full and other stutter issues which still haven't been fixed after two years, see the Nvidia forums.

Permabanned
Good analysis. They've had a fire lit under them so they'll be back with a vengeance. Given Intel's resources AMD should never get close to them but most of this decade they've rested on their laurels. Feels like we're beginning another phase of rapid progress in PC technology.

I think it isn't about Intel resources but about the approaching the physical laws limits, which make every next shrink more and more difficult.
It is in the hands of the suppliers of lithography equipment, too.

Man of Honour
I think it isn't about Intel resources but about the approaching the physical laws limits, which make every next shrink more and more difficult.
It is in the hands of the suppliers of lithography equipment, too.

Other foundries seem to be managing a bit better than Intel - who with their resources and experience really should be leading the game.

Caporegime
Other foundries seem to be managing a bit better than Intel - who with their resources and experience really should be leading the game.
TSMC/GloFo 7nm and Intel 10nm are pretty much the same but yes certainly TSMC seem to be pulling ahead of Intel.

Intel have been throwing their weight behind trying to get 10nm ramped up for 2 years knowing everyone else was catching up and still failed.

Of course Intel still enjoy Mindshare and market share but they are no longer the process leaders or the architectural technology leaders, right now i would argue AMD lead in technology.

Soldato
TSMC/GloFo 7nm and Intel 10nm are pretty much the same but yes certainly TSMC seem to be pulling ahead of Intel.

Intel have been throwing their weight behind trying to get 10nm ramped up for 2 years knowing everyone else was catching up and still failed.

Of course Intel still enjoy Mindshare and market share but they are no longer the process leaders or the architectural technology leaders, right now i would argue AMD lead in technology.

Im wondering how or where Intel go from here... wouldnt suprise me if they try and refine 14nm to ++++++++ or something, given that moving to 10nm is actually a regression for them vs their current 14nm stuff as its so refined, 10nm is actually a step backwards.

Could imagine Intel keeping 10nm to low tier products why they refine it up over the next 1-2 years to get to 10nm++ to then actually surpass their 14nm stuff, meanwhile AMD are going in on a competitive 7nm (about the same as 10nm) and will refine from there, im guessing Intel are convinced AMD's 7nm is not going to be as competitive as Intels current 14nm products, especially if Intel refresh again on 14nm to try and eek out the last bits of power from that node.

From that video it seems to me Intel wont release 10nm anytime soon in really popular products and we probably wont see a new gen i7 8700k type chip until Intel hit 10nm+ or possibly 10nm++

Back
Top Bottom