• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel - Going Nowhere, Fast.

Permabanned
Other foundries seem to be managing a bit better than Intel - who with their resources and experience really should be leading the game.

TSMC and Samsung have a lot of experience making smartphones chips.
Over the years, Intel lost its momentum because the others got their know-high level much up with the ARM chips and memory.

Really, really, keep my fingers crossed the Ryzen 7 3700 at 7nm hits 5GHz.

Soldato
Windows 10 ... a lot of useful/normal functionality is lacking, unfinished or fragmented and all too many areas that have a pants on head approaches that they are too stubborn to undo despite the obnoxious impact on the end user.
I can't fathom how we're what... 4 or 5 "service packs"... into Windows 10, and it still has both the Settings app *and* Control Panel! They need to roll anything that's still relevant from CP into Settings and get rid. This is emblematic of how it's obviously 2-OSs-in-1 and not a coherently designed product.

Man of Honour
I can't fathom how we're what... 4 or 5 "service packs"... into Windows 10, and it still has both the Settings app *and* Control Panel! They need to roll anything that's still relevant from CP into Settings and get rid. This is emblematic of how it's obviously 2-OSs-in-1 and not a coherently designed product.

I find it amusing how with the latest and next update they are basically reinventing the control panel as they move more stuff from it to the new settings. Increasingly the OS seems to be answers in search of a question.

Permabanned

I find it amusing how with the latest and next update they are basically reinventing the control panel as they move more stuff from it to the new settings. Increasingly the OS seems to be answers in search of a question.

Guys, escape from Windows, if you will... ;)

Google Might Be Preparing a Kaby Lake G-Powered Chromebook https://www.techpowerup.com/244543/google-might-be-preparing-a-kaby-lake-g-powered-chromebook

Acer Launches Two Premium 13-inch Chromebooks Designed for Business Use https://www.techpowerup.com/244506/...13-inch-chromebooks-designed-for-business-use

Soldato
Of course Intel still enjoy Mindshare and market share but they are no longer the process leaders or the architectural technology leaders, right now i would argue AMD lead in technology.

AMD have had a wonderful time since Ryzens debut, however I don’t think we can say definitively what company is leading in technology as if you look at the 2000x series that’s releasing it’s extremely similar to intels tick/tock it’s just a minor improvement. I think the next big batch of CPUs will give us a real indication of who is leading in the push for technology.

Whoever it is it’s nice, I feel like we’re finally entering a time of progression of hardware because of the competition!

I’d love to see and get their prices down more! They would crush intel then!

Man of Honour
Never was into the Amiga that much, was an ST owner (and rare as rocking horse **** Falcon owner)

Amiga was OK but always preferred RISC OS the GUI just felt a little more complete somehow and less like it was one step away from being a command line.

Caporegime
AMD have had a wonderful time since Ryzens debut, however I don’t think we can say definitively what company is leading in technology as if you look at the 2000x series that’s releasing it’s extremely similar to intels tick/tock it’s just a minor improvement. I think the next big batch of CPUs will give us a real indication of who is leading in the push for technology.

Whoever it is it’s nice, I feel like we’re finally entering a time of progression of hardware because of the competition!

I’d love to see and get their prices down more! They would crush intel then!

The reason i say this is because Intel still need to build monolithic dies for high core count CPU's, which yields very low results from wafers, that is a real problem in the industry and so far only AMD have the technology which gets around it.
With that this very solution is also more efficient than Intel's Mesh given that the IPC on Ryzen 2### is around 10% higher than on Skylake-X, actually about even with Coffeelake, so AMD's Infinity Fabric looses less IPC than Intel's Interconnect Mesh from standard Ring Bus type interconnects, or since AMD no longer do a Ring Bus type interconnect Ryzen's IPC may just be higher and the loss has simply brought it down to in-like with Coffeelake.
AMD's Infinity Fabric is better than Intel's Mesh and the Ring Bus doesn't afford Intel higher IPC over AMD

Intel do have the processing advantage, 14nm Coffeelake clocks higher than GloFo 12nm, that's true, for now, but its looking like Intel will lose that too once TSMC / GloFo 7nm hits.

Soldato
The reason i say this is because Intel still need to build monolithic dies for high core count CPU's, which yields very low results from wafers, that is a real problem in the industry and so far only AMD have the technology which gets around it.
With that this very solution is also more efficient than Intel's Mesh given that the IPC on Ryzen 2### is around 10% higher than on Skylake-X, actually about even with Coffeelake, so AMD's Infinity Fabric looses less IPC than Intel's Interconnect Mesh from standard Ring Bus type interconnects, or since AMD no longer do a Ring Bus type interconnect Ryzen's IPC may just be higher and the loss has simply brought it down to in-like with Coffeelake.
AMD's Infinity Fabric is better than Intel's Mesh and the Ring Bus doesn't afford Intel higher IPC over AMD

Intel do have the processing advantage, 14nm Coffeelake clocks higher than GloFo 12nm, that's true, for now, but its looking like Intel will lose that too once TSMC / GloFo 7nm hits.

You lost me at wafers... I started to think about food :( you know what I’m like @humbug please don’t use food against me :D

Caporegime
You lost me at wafers... I started to think about food :( you know what I’m like @humbug please don’t use food against me :D

:D

Wafers are the disks the CPU's are printed on, the CPU dies are cut out of these disks

Not all of the CPU's are usable, a percentage of them are broken so they yield a number per disk, the bigger the die the less dies on the disk and because defects exist on the disks lager dies cover more of the wafers area the more chance a die is defective, so its a double wammy.
The less dies per wafer the more expensive it becomes because you get less CPU's out of them.

AMD's solution its to make lots of very small dies and then 'Glue' them together, so 4x 8 core dies becomes one 32 core CPU, small dies yield much higher than large ones so they get more complete CPU's out of the wafer.

Intel have not yet figured out how to glue lots of small CPU dies together to make one big CPU.

What they need is AMD's glue :D

That 'Glue' is Infinity Fabric.

aEezZNg.jpg.png

Caporegime

I can understand getting rid of control panel for settings, however it's ridiculous how it's being handled. Microsoft are very slowly moving stuff to a more modern Ui.

Caporegime
I like the Control Panel. everything linked in one place

What i don't like is burring options within submenus of submenus of generic subcategories like Microsofts infuriating version of supermarkets moving things around to daft unrelated places because that way you are searching the whole shop and looking at other stuff they hope you might then want to buy.

Thats why Biscuits are in the same isle as Backed Beans!

Man of Honour
I can understand getting rid of control panel for settings, however it's ridiculous how it's being handled. Microsoft are very slowly moving stuff to a more modern Ui.

They seem to be basically reinventing the old control panel in feel albeit not in look with the latest couple of updates (not on public release yet). Increasingly seems to me like MS have lost a lot of the old experienced people without their knowledge being properly banked/handed down and a new generation are figuring out the tried and tested way things do and don't work all over again for themselves :(

I'm not totally against the new settings but the time it is taking and fragmentation as they work on it as well as watered down features compared to older implementations sucks and at the end of the day all they needed to do really is rework the UI and data presentation for a new generation of devices and tidy up a few bits here and there.

Back
Top Bottom