Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
If by regular tasks you mean like web-browser, bit of image editing then laptops tend to pull around 30-40watt but if you are doing something like video editing and/or it is charging the battery probably more like 70-80 watt.

EDIT: https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/m...f2-w-pantone-screen-gtx-1070-max-q-review/12/

Between 38 and 99 watt for this model from idle through to max out everything gaming.

Thanks @Rroff - please also refer to the review of the 8th gen version, although the FHD Screen, not UHD version: KitGuru 8th Gen AERO15X review.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Soldato
Hi @Conbat squirrel,

Thanks for your interest. Please see below for replies to your points:

1) Whats battery life on this model:

- Approximately; 12hr for power saving idle, 6hr for video playback with Windows Media player, 9hr for high performance idle.

2) Whats the average power draw from the wall with this running doing regular tasks?

- Will check this and come back to you, need R&D to confirm it.

3) Out of curiosity how colour accurate is the 144hz 1080p screen? (just incase I am curious)

- you will be aware that all the panels are Pantone calibrated :eek:

- Colour accuracy of FHD 144Hz panel is 72% NTSC (100% sRGB) - you can find Media reviews that will give you independent measurements on this element.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

This is fantastic thanks....I'll be going for the 4k as I need 100% adobe rgb for my photo editing, but was just curious :)

The power draw is a biggy as I'll be running it off a leisure battery from my van......is there any plans to make a 12v dc charger for people like me? I only ask as you've made literally the perfect content creators mobile device and if u made a 12v dc Input charger you would have made the perfect mobile studio........I do have an inverter but it's less efficient to go 12v to 230 back down to the usual 19.7 laptops usually run on (or whatever this one runs at)

I'd guess 8-9 hours battery life then from photo editing which is great.

Soldato
If by regular tasks you mean like web-browser, bit of image editing then laptops tend to pull around 30-40watt but if you are doing something like video editing and/or it is charging the battery probably more like 70-80 watt.

EDIT: https://www.kitguru.net/lifestyle/m...f2-w-pantone-screen-gtx-1070-max-q-review/12/

Between 38 and 99 watt for this model from idle through to max out everything gaming.

Cool thanks gives me a ball park figure....my 120 watt solar might come in useful here then.

Associate
Hi, has anyone had any experience sticking Linux on this? I'm specifically interested in pentesting functionality. Any gotcha's I might expect (putting the wifi nic into monitor mode etc).

Associate
BSOD - it happens, and yes probably hardware related, possibly caused in transit (difficult to assess, so that's just a general comment)

I'm getting BSODs every couple of days (it's always the NVidia driver) and I'm not convinced it's hardware-related. I'm also still having the system-hanging issues I reported before with Slack installed. Both of these started happening after I upgraded Windows to Pro. I also found that when I did the April Windows Update (before I went to Pro), it asked me a load of questions you'd expect it to ask on first startup.

I have a theory that Windows isn't quite installed correctly on these laptops. I'm probably going to do a complete reinstall from ISO this weekend and see if that fixes things before I start blaming hardware.

I'll report back when I have more info, but that may be a couple of weeks away (because the BSOD is so random).

Associate
Hi, has anyone had any experience sticking Linux on this? I'm specifically interested in pentesting functionality. Any gotcha's I might expect (putting the wifi nic into monitor mode etc).

I got mine yesterday and tried fedora 28 via live usb on it - everything worked out of the box (and I was getting better battery life than on windows). I'm waiting for my m2 drive to arrive before installing it properly. The only slight niggle is that the screen's adaptive brightness was a bit distracting (personal preference) and I didn't seen an option in gnome to turn it off - but I expect with a bit more prodding I'll find how to disable it.

With regards to wifi monitor mode - not sure, but its a standard intel 8265 wireless card.

It is pretty cutting edge hardware though so I wouldn't recommend trying a distro that uses older kernels - the latest kali rolling release uses 4.15, and fedora 28 is on 4.16 so it might be OK though.

Man of Honour
I'm getting BSODs every couple of days (it's always the NVidia driver) and I'm not convinced it's hardware-related. I'm also still having the system-hanging issues I reported before with Slack installed. Both of these started happening after I upgraded Windows to Pro. I also found that when I did the April Windows Update (before I went to Pro), it asked me a load of questions you'd expect it to ask on first startup.

I have a theory that Windows isn't quite installed correctly on these laptops. I'm probably going to do a complete reinstall from ISO this weekend and see if that fixes things before I start blaming hardware.

I'll report back when I have more info, but that may be a couple of weeks away (because the BSOD is so random).

I dunno what software you use but in my experience combinations of these seem to be causing a lot of issues lately.

Spotify
Firefox (especially 60.0.1)
nVidia GPU driver
Windows 1803 update
Certain tools like EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner

I've seen a few systems where having both Spotify and Firefox configured for hardware accelerated rendering = stutter, random nVidia driver crash and occasional BSOD.

Associate
I dunno what software you use but in my experience combinations of these seem to be causing a lot of issues lately.

Spotify
Firefox (especially 60.0.1)
nVidia GPU driver
Windows 1803 update
Certain tools like EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner

I've seen a few systems where having both Spotify and Firefox configured for hardware accelerated rendering = stutter, random nVidia driver crash and occasional BSOD.

Thanks for that. For info:

I don't use Spotify but it is installed.
I don't even have Firefox installed.
I switched hardware-accelerated rendering off in Chrome; that was my first suspicion.
I'm not using Precision or Afterburner.

What I have installed and use a lot is a bunch of development tools (Visual Studio, Docker, GitKraken, SourceTree, Notepad++, Paint.NET) and Steam with a handful of games that I've barely played recently. I did have Slack, but it makes all window-sizing animations randomly hang the system.

The day everything started running badly, I installed the 1803 update, then upgraded to Pro, so that I could install Docker. Unfortunately, the upgrade to Pro has made it very difficult to roll back the 1803 update to test that.

You've got me wondering now though ... I'm guessing Spotify was installed as part of the 1803 update (with the final demise of Groove) and it is running a live-tile. Maybe I should remove that completely and see if that helps anything.

Man of Honour
You've got me wondering now though ... I'm guessing Spotify was installed as part of the 1803 update (with the final demise of Groove) and it is running a live-tile. Maybe I should remove that completely and see if that helps anything.

I think it is only the UI with Spotify - though it does sometimes start the application with Windows and minimise it depending on settings. The live tile itself shouldn't cause a problem.

It is very noticeable in my experience if it is causing the issue as when you have two applications open that use hardware acceleration and not minimised one or both becomes very stuttery when scrolling, etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I think it is only the UI with Spotify - though it does sometimes start the application with Windows and minimise it depending on settings. The live tile itself shouldn't cause a problem.

Yeah. A bit of an unfinished thought there. I meant to say that, having installed the live tile without my asking, it might also have started running in the background.

So here's what I just did ... uninstalled Spotify completely, installed Slack and turned hardware-accelerated rendering off in Slack (who even knew that was there?). Restarted.

Now switching between windows, and window-resizing animations, have all sped up to where I'd expect them to be on a laptop with this much horse-power (as it was when I first received it). And I can't recreate the problem I've seen before with the system completely hanging up on repeated window-sizing.

That said, I've been here once before and it didn't last long. I'll report back in a couple of days.

Associate
It is very noticeable in my experience if it is causing the issue as when you have two applications open that use hardware acceleration and not minimised one or both becomes very stuttery when scrolling, etc.

As an afterthought, checked Visual Studio, which also has a hardware-accelerated rendering mode. So I'm guessing that was the second application, rather than Spotify. I'll leave that one switched on for now, cause everything is feeling pretty fast even with VS open.

Man of Honour
As an afterthought, checked Visual Studio, which also has a hardware-accelerated rendering mode. So I'm guessing that was the second application, rather than Spotify. I'll leave that one switched on for now, cause everything is feeling pretty fast even with VS open.

I've not seen anything to suggest VS with hardware acceleration causes any kind of problem like I'm talking about.

Associate
OP
If it helps in anyway, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and I've yet to have a Blue screen.

@Atom80 It would appear the supplied charger pulls too many amps or watts (whatever, i'm no electrician) to use on the power outlets found on Commercial planes (talking Boeing 777 and Airbus 380). Is there something I'm missing or is there any charger available that will work onboard? As it happens, on the recent flight I had, the battery held out for 5hrs 45mins with fusion360 which was just about enough but I was surprised that I couldn't charge even with the machine off (no load).

Just done a little more digging on this and it would appear that the aircraft power outlets trip if there's a load greater than 75 watts (although plenty of people suggesting a 90W PSU works fine) So, can you find out if the power port on the aero 15x v8 is a "smart" port or will any aftermarket 90w laptop psu work provided it has the correct plug/polarity?

Last edited:
Soldato
If it helps in anyway, I did a fresh install of Windows 10 and I've yet to have a Blue screen.

@Atom80 It would appear the supplied charger pulls too many amps or watts (whatever, i'm no electrician) to use on the power outlets found on Commercial planes (talking Boeing 777 and Airbus 380). Is there something I'm missing or is there any charger available that will work onboard? As it happens, on the recent flight I had, the battery held out for 5hrs 45mins with fusion360 which was just about enough but I was surprised that I couldn't charge even with the machine off (no load).

Just done a little more digging on this and it would appear that the aircraft power outlets trip if there's a load greater than 75 watts (although plenty of people suggesting a 90W PSU works fine) So, can you find out if the power port on the aero 15x v8 is a "smart" port or will any aftermarket 90w laptop psu work provided it has the correct plug/polarity?

Interesting information - thanks

Associate
Update: I've had none of the glitching / hanging issues, since I removed Spotify. But I have now had a blue screen. Annoyingly, this is a bit late in the bank holiday weekend to start the process of a Windows reinstall.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Update: I've had none of the glitching / hanging issues, since I removed Spotify. But I have now had a blue screen. Annoyingly, this is a bit late in the bank holiday weekend to start the process of a Windows reinstall.

Hi @YeWhoEnter - can you let us know, are you getting BSOD when unit is on battery, or AC Adapter? If you are not sure, please try to check for us.

We are in HQ at the moment, so have direct access to R&D.

Thanks and look forward to your reply,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
OP
@Atom80 Whilst you're their can you ask them if the psu plug is generic or has it got some fancy design which means we cant use aftermarket PSUs? I'd like to be able to charge the laptop whilst travelling by air (see my previous post, but i'm talking commercial airliners with 75 - 90Watt supply limits on their on board power outlets) The one supplied with the laptop is too thirsty at 230w to work whilst onboard.

Sure it won't be enough to power the machine in demanding usage permanently but it should charge whilst off/idle or at least maintain or extend whatever battery is remaining at the time of boarding.

Soldato
@Atom80 Whilst you're their can you ask them if the psu plug is generic or has it got some fancy design which means we cant use aftermarket PSUs? I'd like to be able to charge the laptop whilst travelling by air (see my previous post, but i'm talking commercial airliners with 75 - 90Watt supply limits on their on board power outlets) The one supplied with the laptop is too thirsty at 230w to work whilst onboard.

Sure it won't be enough to power the machine in demanding usage permanently but it should charge whilst off/idle or at least maintain or extend whatever battery is remaining at the time of boarding.

I want to know this also , thanks

Back
Top Bottom