Road Cycling

Soldato
Average power will include coast time, normalised power will ignore coast time and do other data tricks... I think (I'm also new to power meters)!

cricklesorg.wordpress.com is free and will give you useful info including FTP based on 95% of your best 20mins.

power-meter.cc/home is free, linked it to Strava this week, power specific info and seems good so far.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en is a free plugin for Google Chrome on Windows Strava site, lots of info about rides including power.

Associate
Soldato
Average power will include coast time, normalised power will ignore coast time and do other data tricks... I think (I'm also new to power meters)!

cricklesorg.wordpress.com is free and will give you useful info including FTP based on 95% of your best 20mins.

power-meter.cc/home is free, linked it to Strava this week, power specific info and seems good so far.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...strava/dhiaggccakkgdfcadnklkbljcgicpckn?hl=en is a free plugin for Google Chrome on Windows Strava site, lots of info about rides including power.

Thank you, just had a quick look at the STRAVA add-on, looks interesting :)
Garmin Connect has given me an approximation of my best 20 min avg... Which seems low given it thinks my VO2 max 58 (Superior)
I will certainly do some tests

Ramp test, is a more efficient way to estimate your Threshold. TrainerRoad have moved from the 20min/8min FTP test to this recently and changed it within all their plans.

http://blog.trainerroad.com/new-ramp-test-makes-ftp-testing-more-efficient-and-less-stressful/

I have done 3 minute ramp tests... Failed at 350w, x0.75 =262w... Way beyond what my blood lactates dictate as threshold ( 235w)
I will try a 1 minute ramp test just out of curiosity, I'd expect a result way north of 350w though TBH which throws my FTP way out?

Soldato
This is absolutely shameful. Wait for it...

You have to be utterly mad to go up the inside of a horse.

I was out riding solo last Tuesday evening and a lady coming the other way was walking with a horse. I slowed down, but once the horse spotted me, he started getting a bit frisky so I completely stopped. I don't want to fight several hundred kilos of horse!

Soldato
That is madness BennyC. I give horse riders so much room and usually they're very nice in nature. However it's the ones with the horses that they can't control that are always the rudest and no matter what you do seem to find something to moan about.

Soldato
It was the Windsor Tri event today. I roughly know that road. Absolutely stupid behaviour but I can't help but think it wasn't intentional to pass up the inside. It doesn't excuse it at all but my bets are on a) they were drafting other riders and didn't realise until last moment / no one called out the horse(if it's draft legal? some of them are..) b) head down aero mode and they look up at last minute to see horse and riders passing them on the right so nowhere to go.

I always give horse/rider plenty of room and generally they're thankful. A fiesta driver pulled out on me earlier to immediately get stuck behind a horse 5 seconds later. She had time to wait and go round the horse at 2mph, with thanks from the rider and crew, but not to wait for me at the junction :confused:

Soldato
I slow to slightly faster than walking pace, freewheel if approaching from behind so they're aware I'm there and then pedal past (should the freewheel cause the horse to spook) on the far side of the road.

If you overlook the fact they were 'racing' and obviously unwilling to slow, there's zero justification for not passing as far over as possible on the right hand side on what looks to be a perfectly reasonable surface. Cutting in unnecessarily quickly in-front just smacks of tosspot.

Soldato
Is the road closed? I heard it was a long established tri, is there any reason they couldn’t use the other side of the road?

My personal opinion is that you shouldn’t be allowed to have an animal so large you cannot control it especially on the road, but I wouldn’t be a dick to someone riding a horse, herding a cow, with a massive dog etc for this very reason: you have no idea what it could do.

Soldato
I slow to slightly faster than walking pace, freewheel if approaching from behind so they're aware I'm there and then pedal past (should the freewheel cause the horse to spook) on the far side of the road.

If you overlook the fact they were 'racing' and obviously unwilling to slow, there's zero justification for not passing as far over as possible on the right hand side on what looks to be a perfectly reasonable surface. Cutting in unnecessarily quickly in-front just smacks of tosspot.

I'm the same slow right down as I don't fancy getting on the wrong side of a horse or having a serious injury to the horse rider on my conscious. Incidentally an old school friend who rides horses said she likes people to wish her the time of the day of coming from behind as it alerts her and more importantly the horse with noise they are familiar with as opposed to a noisy freewheel.

In my experience never cone across a rude or ungrateful horse rider yet :)

Soldato
Not closed roads.

So it's now on BBC News and it seems local residents have chimed in.

BBC News said:
Amanda Coyne, who lives near the route of the race, said she had encountered cyclists riding "dangerously" while driving shortly before 09:00.

"I nearly had a heart attack as I nearly got hit by a car which had been forced to overtake cyclists who were riding four-abreast," she said.

"They were riding at such speeds and didn't care who was coming in front of them and who was behind them and I really worried there was going to be a terrible accident."

She said she stopped to speak to a race official who she said dismissed her fears.
Wait. What?! The car was forced to overtake the cyclists? Yeah, sure. So even a driver that was almost hit by a dangerously overtaking car doesn't believe the other driver was at fault.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-44512967

Soldato

That’s not quite right, normalised power includes coasting time but effectively gives more weight to efforts above FTP to reflect that (e.g.) a 400w effort is a lot more than twice as hard as a 200w effort.

Associate
I mean nobody is in the right in my opinion the guy undertaking is just plain stupid. However what posses you to take your horse out on those roads when their is going to be a race on.

Personally, horse riders are just as bad as the cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road but people treat them better because a horse is a living animal.

Soldato
Came up with some good man maths over the weekend...

I've found a new Synapse (2018) with 105 for £1500. Buy that, strip it down bar the chainset. Get an Ultegra Di2 groupset (Vanilla bikes seem cheapest, Bike24 list a long lead time), along with new cockpit and Cannondale SAVE seatpost to build the frame back up with. Loads of choice (as previously mentioned) for a set of good disc wheels.

At that point I've got a load of spare parts, so it would be silly not to get a cheap frame to put it all on. Planet-X have a Holdsworth steel disc frame for £150 (post mount brakes though), or Dolan have a nice looking alloy frameset for £340. Both take mudguards, so ideal winter bike :D

Soldato
heh yeah it seems the cheapest way to get a new frame is to just get the cheapest full bike and strip it. Crazy then don't sell the non hi-mod frameset for say £1k.

Cannondales pricing is very werid this year. The jump in price to go from say ultegra to ultegra di2 is crazy.

synapse ultegra £2700 rrp
synapse ultegra di2 £3800 rrp

Some parts go from C3 to C2 but that's still very heavy kit and the wheels and frame are the same.

Soldato
Cannondale know how to charge, lets be honest. Same with most of the big names. Change the tyres and paint job for the new year model, stick another £100/£200 on.

Soldato
Cannondales pricing is very werid this year. The jump in price to go from say ultegra to ultegra di2 is crazy.
It's the same with most other brands. Looking at over £1k to go from Ultegra to Di2.

Examples :
Giant Propel disc mechanical - £2999 : https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-propel-advanced-disc-2018
Giant Propel disc D-2 - £4499 : https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-propel-advanced-pro-disc-2018

Canyon Aeroad is also similar - the site is currently down so can't post the details.

Soldato
Di2 does seem to be the manufacturers favourite way to gouge at the mo

Canyon ultimate CF, the 105 specced bike is only like £350 more than the bare frameset. Seems crazy to buy the frameset...

Back
Top Bottom