Your pet peeves at work?

Man of Honour
Male colleagues who moan about time wasting and sticking to the schedule but then we lose two hours of the production because they can't stay hard.
Female colleagues who like to have a competition between each other showing off how much they enjoy their jobs by making the most noise.
Anyone in the crew who starts w**king! Do that in your own time!
Producers/directors who think they're entiltled to do what they want with you - if you wanna have a go on my snatch you should become a performer!
People who wan't to talk about work when I'm on my break. No I don't want to talk about spit roasts while I'm eating my hotdog!

Sounds stressful :) what do you work as? :)

Soldato
Got this one colleague, classmate from uni, started the job at the same time I did, sits next to me... Every couple of weeks he comes to work wearing the same blue shirt as me. Git :mad:

Associate
  • Saying about 100 words when 10 will do, usually accompanied with OTT body language to words such as "convey" or "provide".
  • Meetings like the TV series W1A where a meeting goes on for ages and at the end of it nothing is decided on.
  • In my old job in "a supermarket" the idea of cutting hours in stores and creating regional jobs being a good thing, and these regional roles are people new to the business or have little knowledge of what is required of them so something new is implemented and causes chaos to the people that have been doing the job - had this issue in "a supermarket" where someone had the idea of bringing iPad's into stores, sounds great on paper but utterly pointless for daily jobs.
  • Similar to above, change for the sake of it rather than what is needed.
  • The unfortunate fact that it's not what you know it's who you know - previous job they were known as the untouchables - terrible at running their department, but were friendly with the manager so it was OK.

Caporegime
Male colleagues who moan about time wasting and sticking to the schedule but then we lose two hours of the production because they can't stay hard.
Female colleagues who like to have a competition between each other showing off how much they enjoy their jobs by making the most noise.
Anyone in the crew who starts w**king! Do that in your own time!
Producers/directors who think they're entiltled to do what they want with you - if you wanna have a go on my snatch you should become a performer!
People who wan't to talk about work when I'm on my break. No I don't want to talk about spit roasts while I'm eating my hotdog!

:D

Soldato
May have already been mentioned but in my office it’s got to be the group of women who whisper when having their daily bitch meeting at their desks then look offended when you walk close by because how dare you. Just go in a bloody meeting room or “breakout area”.

Associate
1. Meetings which have no value and/or are nothing to do with my role.
2. 90 minute Department meetings every month because someone complained that we weren't getting the right level of comms from our management team.
3. Giving 100% during my contracted hours (7 per day) and then being asked if I could stay later in the working day because others choose to do more than their contracted hours.
4. People who leave work hours early because they have to go home to watch the football.

Soldato
Where I used to work, there was one person who was absolutely insufferable. Singing loudly, whistling, clapping, shouting, being unable to do even basic maths without a calculator, being generally obnoxious and rude/confrontational to people including the technical director. There was nothing we could do about it because he was the MD's son. I worked there for 10 years, and spent 4 of those driven by sheer rage and determination, doing night classes to get a HNC and leave.

Anything where I work now pales in comparison, and nobody really does anything to annoy. Perhaps stinking fish lunches, but that's really about it.

A couple of people have tried to obviously step on/over people to further themselves, but nobody in any level of management tolerates it and they've ended up upsetting the wrong people and being slung out.

It's actually a great place to work TBH.

Soldato
Yup, my boss continually rigs the rota so I'm subject to her and another girl waffling on in Polish all day. Really is the height of rudeness and what's worse is they'e doing it deliberately to try and get a reaction out of me.

My wife is Polish, I can teach you some super easy remarks to throw in at entirely random points on the conversation.

For example, next time they start speaking Polish, say 'Soh?' in that pronunciation. It's spealt 'co'. It means 'What?'.

This will freak them out and make them think you're learning Polish. Then maybe come in super cheerful on a Friday morning, 'Gine Dobre!' (good morning essentially, pronounce like that, spelt dzień dobry).

In no time, they will start thinking you understand and won't bother talking around you. Also, learn key words like "Maybe, I don't know, we will see" etc so when they clearly try to catch you out by looking at you and speaking Polish, you can answer "I don't know, maybe?"...

DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Caporegime
Office environments, construction sites, catering, retail, HGV drivers... we all have our pet peeves. What are yours?

I have 2 main peeves (office environment):

1. Corridor-hoggers. This is where 2 or more people hold a "meeting" at a choke-point. That could be right in front of an entrance, corridor corners, outside an office (so blocking it), a fire exit, or in the corridor where it is at its narrowest. In the building where I work, the corridor is wider (indented) every approx. 2nd or 3rd door. Use it! Or use an empty room... plenty of them. It happens at my current workplace and every previous place I've worked, both private sector and public sector. CORRIDOR-HOGGERS ARE ALWAYS MALE!

2. The food police. For those who eat in the office, the food police will ask what they've had, even if it's in plain view. It's the same obsessive-compulsive conversation every day without fail, that it cannot be good for their mental health. For those who don't bring food to the office, it's still the same conversation except that it's past tense. Just buy the bloody thing if you are that inclined, it's only £2.75 from the canteen. The menu's on the intranet. THE FOOD POLICE ARE ALWAYS FEMALE!

And when I am in the canteen... chair-scrapers. People who press the chair legs hard against the floor while dragging them to deliberately produce a louder noise than the room's accoustics is designed for. CHAIR-SCRAPERS ARE BOTH GENDERS! :p

your first one doesn't even need to be at work. you could be literally anywhere and people decide the best place to hold a meeting is right at a choke point. an entrance, doorway, elevator, etc. i usually just barge right through them on purpose.

Soldato
My wife is Polish, I can teach you some super easy remarks to throw in at entirely random points on the conversation.

For example, next time they start speaking Polish, say 'Soh?' in that pronunciation. It's spealt 'co'. It means 'What?'.

This will freak them out and make them think you're learning Polish. Then maybe come in super cheerful on a Friday morning, 'Gine Dobre!' (good morning essentially, pronounce like that, spelt dzień dobry).

In no time, they will start thinking you understand and won't bother talking around you. Also, learn key words like "Maybe, I don't know, we will see" etc so when they clearly try to catch you out by looking at you and speaking Polish, you can answer "I don't know, maybe?"...

DUN DUN DUNNNNN

Nah, learn some useful Polish phrases from Polish dash cam videos on YouTube.

Soldato
Our office culture is such that you bring in cakes etc. on your birthday. Often my wife will bake the night before so I can bring treats in to work (shes's lovely). Now without fail, it's the usual suspects that rock up first to indulge. Do they ever, ever bring in any treats on their respective birthdays? No. They even brag about how they refuse to do it. I once ordered 10 pizzas for the office and was accosted by said individuals before I'd even put them out.

The worst bit is when they sometimes have the gaul to critique the selection or quality of those cakes/treats on offer. Luckily they are in the minority and everyone else appreciates the gesture and reciprocates in kind.

Sorry for the rant :(

Soldato
Our office culture is such that you bring in cakes etc. on your birthday. Often my wife will bake the night before so I can bring treats in to work (shes's lovely). Now without fail, it's the usual suspects that rock up first to indulge. Do they ever, ever bring in any treats on their respective birthdays? No. They even brag about how they refuse to do it. I once ordered 10 pizzas for the office and was accosted by said individuals before I'd even put them out.

The worst bit is when they sometimes have the gaul to critique the selection or quality of those cakes/treats on offer. Luckily they are in the minority and everyone else appreciates the gesture and reciprocates in kind.

Sorry for the rant :(

I don't bring in cakes for my birthday, despite it being the office culture. I certainly take no pride in it, it just seems like a collosal waste of money and effort.

However, I don't indulge in the cakes when they are brought in.

Soldato

DUN DUN DUNNNNN
Kurwa is one we use a lot at work :p

Back
Top Bottom