Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Is conduit a requirement?

I don't have external grade cat5e, was just going to run the cable in the loft and the use a coupler and use a new piece just before it goes outside. So it is easy to replace the outdoor bit if it fails in future.

Seemed much neater and cheaper than conduit?

Thoughts appreciated :)

Associate
Hi all,

Have had a read through the thread and have some questions before I make a purchase.

Currently have an old analogue system installed with 10 camera's each having there own 12V power supply, wired locally, and coax cable ran from the DVR.

Looking at replacing all of them with IP camera's so will be running Cat 6 to 9 of the existing camera's and using a PoE NVR.

The 10th camera has around a 250m coax cable underneath the ground to a camera at the premises entrance. I want this to be an IP camera so I'm looking at using an ethernet over Coax adapter because rewiring with Cat 6 is out the question. Is there another solution to this?

I'm able to buy HikVision equipment through the company, so suppliers shouldn't be an issue.

Is Dahua or Hikvision the way to go now these days, what's the consensus?

Was planning on purchasing the following:

8 x DS-2CD2335FWD-I Hikvision 3MP Turret camera's

1x DS-76161NI-K2/16P Hikvision 16CH NVR

Looking at recommendations for 2 higher quality camera's which cover a fairly large area of 30-40m, they will be effectively facing each other at a slight angle, night time viewing will be crucial because of the distance but that compromises the amount of MP you can get. They also each cover an entrance.

Anyone used the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, as that has some good reviews as well?

Associate
Can anyone help me with this idea? I think I've settled on how i want to do a set up.
Can you assist me in choosing an NVR for 8 cams and a separate PoE box, my idea is this.
Have the cables from the external cams go up the wall the the attic where they plug in to a PoE box, then a single cat5 cable going to the bedroom.
The reason for this is, I have no power in the attic and wanted to have the nvr in the bedroom.
Would an NVR such as the Hikvision 7608 work like this even though it has all the PoE ports?

Associate
Can anyone help me with this idea? I think I've settled on how i want to do a set up.
Can you assist me in choosing an NVR for 8 cams and a separate PoE box, my idea is this.
Have the cables from the external cams go up the wall the the attic where they plug in to a PoE box, then a single cat5 cable going to the bedroom.
The reason for this is, I have no power in the attic and wanted to have the nvr in the bedroom.
Would an NVR such as the Hikvision 7608 work like this even though it has all the PoE ports?

The PoE box/switch will still need power. In which case you may as well keep the NVR up in the attic too.

Man of Honour
I'm not too happy about having any electronics running in my attic so i've got the POE switch and all cabling coming down into the top of one of our built in cupboards, not hard to do as you can generally drill up with ease.

Associate
With NVR recorders can you login and record from a smart phone? I would be concerned that should the NVR be stolen, all video evidence will be gone as well, defeating the object of having cctv in the first place.

Soldato
With NVR recorders can you login and record from a smart phone? I would be concerned that should the NVR be stolen, all video evidence will be gone as well, defeating the object of having cctv in the first place.

But... If a burglar is savvy enough to climb into your attic, find the NVR, disconnect it all then they surely deserve to rob the house just on the basis of effort?

I can't imagine most burglars are this savvy.

Associate
All setups will be different but having the DVR/NVR in the attic is regarded as being more secure because of the visibility aspect and also generally requiring a ladder to access it. The downside is of course the extreme temperature conditions.

Some NVRs will have the option of cloud storage. I've built a custom NVR in the past which had a live sync with my Google Drive and that worked pretty well. You can also setup an independent camera with email or cloud motion detection pointing at the NVR/DVR. That way, if your recording equipment is stolen you have some form of evidence.

Soldato
I recently installed a Foscam 4 camera & NVR system - 3 covering the front of my home (Garden, Entrance and one overlooking my drive), with the fourth covering the back. It's this one: https://www.foscam.com/FN3104W_B4.html

I'm having issues with the Garden, Driveway and Rear cameras dropping out/taking glitchy footage - presumably due to poor WiFi connection between NVR and cameras.

Is there any way I can get the cameras to use my WiFi network from my router (TPLink Archer C7), which has a much better coverage?

Or could I use a plug-in booster for the NVR's signal?

I'd prefer not to have to run Cat5e to them (GFF, council), but I could if a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom