Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Best all rounder is the 2335. Need to remember where exactly you plan to use your cams. In an area at night with objects close by, the 2385 can work decent enough as the IR bounces of the objects. A better improved lit scene is created.

Don’t be afraid to buy each and test in your environment and flog the one if there is one you don’t want to keep.
When you say nearby, how useful would a couple of cars be about 15m away? Too far?

Soldato
You're right, didn't spot that earlier! Been reading to much into this lately and getting confused.

Would you not be put off from the lack of updates? Apparently it hasn't received any updates in the last 6 months, and still stuck on the old v3 firmware.
To be honest I didn't know there was anything above v3, never looked into it that much. Just installing 3.4.9.8 as we speak (from 3.4.9.6).

Not sure when it was released though as they all say 24 May on the site for some reason regardless of the actual date. Guessing they moved / migrated file servers and it is showing the date they dumped everything back on there from
i'll try it out this evening :)
Thanks!

Soldato
When you say nearby, how useful would a couple of cars be about 15m away? Too far?

It helps quite a bit. That’s why when you are testing cameras at night, objects in the cameras path interferes with the testing giving false or inaccurate results.

Point a camera into open space and the results can vary massively. This separates the ultra low level light cams from the rest of the bunch.

Soldato
It helps quite a bit. That’s why when you are testing cameras at night, objects in the cameras path interferes with the testing giving false or inaccurate results.

Point a camera into open space and the results can vary massively. This separates the ultra low level light cams from the rest of the bunch.
Cool thanks!

Man of Honour
sorry for the delay - been off on holiday - there are essentially two modes, low light and all IR - the distance becomes an issue for the all IR side of things as you can see from the second photo:
o03PZTl.png
tvBq0sg.png
That being said the image is right at the edge of the frame, at the centre the image is a load brighter & clearer:

elDR8ld.png

Associate
Where is the best place to get Hikvision cams from these days? I heard there are problems getting support via certain vendors...

Soldato
sorry for the delay - been off on holiday - there are essentially two modes, low light and all IR - the distance becomes an issue for the all IR side of things as you can see from the second photo:
o03PZTl.png
tvBq0sg.png
That being said the image is right at the edge of the frame, at the centre the image is a load brighter & clearer:

elDR8ld.png
That's not too bad... Thanks!

Soldato
Hi All

I need to update my CCTV at work, we have no landline or internet there and i want to be able to tap in so i suppose i will also need a 4G router and datasim.

will need to run 6 cameras in total.

Any advise? 2 will be outside 4 will be inside.

Oakpark - CCTV System
 1 x Dahua Network Video Recorder, 8-Port, 4TB with USB backup
 1 x 22inch LCD Monitor.
 1 x External IP HD Anti Vandal 4.0Mpixel Dome, 2.8mm positioned to the front right.
 1 x External IP HD Anti Vandal 4.0Mpixel Dome, 2.8mm positioned to the left side.
 2 x Signs.
 1 x 4G router
 1 x NSI Certificate of Compliance.
Cost as per above supply & install £1,490.00 + vat
Additional Cameras at time of installations £290.00 + vat
Annual Sim Card Contract (5GB per Month) £340.00 + vat

seemed a bit lively.

cheers
Ross

Associate
Hi All

I need to update my CCTV at work, we have no landline or internet there and i want to be able to tap in so i suppose i will also need a 4G router and datasim.

will need to run 6 cameras in total.

Any advise? 2 will be outside 4 will be inside.

Oakpark - CCTV System
 1 x Dahua Network Video Recorder, 8-Port, 4TB with USB backup
 1 x 22inch LCD Monitor.
 1 x External IP HD Anti Vandal 4.0Mpixel Dome, 2.8mm positioned to the front right.
 1 x External IP HD Anti Vandal 4.0Mpixel Dome, 2.8mm positioned to the left side.
 2 x Signs.
 1 x 4G router
 1 x NSI Certificate of Compliance.
Cost as per above supply & install £1,490.00 + vat
Additional Cameras at time of installations £290.00 + vat
Annual Sim Card Contract (5GB per Month) £340.00 + vat

seemed a bit lively.

cheers
Ross

Does seem a bit steep. If pricing as one of my jobs I wouldn't be too much more than the first price for all 6 cameras. Have they specified a model number of the camera?

Soldato
First thing I notice is the 2.8mm lens. These cams will be located basically at the door, so close you could touch them with your hand. Is this true and hence the anti-vandal?

Also, at night, unless there is good lighting, these domes will be pretty crap.

I would be going for good lighting and a higher MP cam but tbh, depending on cam location restrictions, I would be sticking up a few Dahua 2MP Starlights. Cracking cams.

Last edited:
Associate
What's the best way to attach these cameras to external brick wall?
Embedding the cable in\through the wall seems impractical and difficult and the official hikvision camera mount \ junction mount seems really big compared to the cameras.
My plan was to run the cables up the wall to the eaves and up in to the loft space.

Soldato
The junction boxes for the turrets are big. Stupid big. There are 3rd party junction boxes in the States which are much smaller but haven’t been able to source a supplier here.

You need to use conduit or relocate the cameras under the sofit. Better if you live in a Bungalow as two storey houses mean you are looking down on the top of peoples heads obstructing a facial image. Maybe change lens size to compensate. If you can’t, then you will just have to bore through the wall.

If the camera is near a gutter down pipe, run the cable up the back of it into the attic.

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi,
Can anyone recommend me a trusted cat5e reseller for 100m ideally black to run outside on a wall. I am struggling with eBay as the sellers are either selling inferior non solid core or cheaper copper which causes ghosting.

Thank you

Soldato
Hi,
Can anyone recommend me a trusted cat5e reseller for 100m ideally black to run outside on a wall. I am struggling with eBay as the sellers are either selling inferior non solid core or cheaper copper which causes ghosting.

Thank you
306m from comms express and keep the rest for future?

Associate
Do people on here recommend dedicated cameras (Hikvision or the like) vs something like Netgear Arlo? Looking to get a setup in my house but not sure where to start!

Associate
I Have done a 'very' crude drawing of how I plan to in stall some cameras. is it safe to drill a void behind where the camera will be mounted to the external wall to put the PoE and dc connection, run the cat 5 cable up the external wall to the loft space/ eaves if i put a 'drip loop at the camera? see the drawing.

2w57w5w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom