is ultrawide really worth it?

Soldato
I'm no way a "competitive fps" player, but I play BF1 most (maybe 400 hrs?) and never use my 27" gsync monitor anymore, only ever the 34" widescreen. It's just the best FPS experience I've ever seen!

Some games, when they stretch look horrible, but then I move back to the ROG Swift in that case.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Which monitor would you say is best or is there anything else in this sort of price bracket I should be looking at? I currently have an rx480 and really want freesync, my plan is to lower settings and pick up a vega 64 within a month or 2. I would switch to Nvidia but the cheapest gsync ultrawide is crazy expensive.

Anyway, are these 2 any good? Is there any in this price range I should be looking at instead?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq...hz-hdr-freesync-gaming-monitor-mo-12d-bq.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...quantum-dot-widescreen-monitor-mo-232-sa.html

Thanks!

Caporegime
Hi guys,

Which monitor would you say is best or is there anything else in this sort of price bracket I should be looking at? I currently have an rx480 and really want freesync, my plan is to lower settings and pick up a vega 64 within a month or 2. I would switch to Nvidia but the cheapest gsync ultrawide is crazy expensive.

Anyway, are these 2 any good? Is there any in this price range I should be looking at instead?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq...hz-hdr-freesync-gaming-monitor-mo-12d-bq.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...quantum-dot-widescreen-monitor-mo-232-sa.html

Thanks!

I was looking at those 2, and in the end i went for the BenQ, as i found the Samsung is prone to Black Screening, and FreeSync flickering :- https://community.amd.com/thread/220267, plus with already having a BenQ, i knew what they were like, and i havn't been disappointed, the EX is a cracker of a screen, and im having no problems at all with it :)

Soldato
I was looking at those 2, and in the end i went for the BenQ, as i found the Samsung is prone to Black Screening, and FreeSync flickering :- https://community.amd.com/thread/220267, plus with already having a BenQ, i knew what they were like, and i havn't been disappointed, the EX is a cracker of a screen, and im having no problems at all with it :)

Thanks, sounds good to me! How do you think my rx480 will cope for the next month or so? I know I'll have to drop my settings (currently playing Overwatch, Quake Champions, Fortnite and WOW).

Associate
I tried ultra widescreen for a couple of weeks and just couldn't get on with it. Although great for side by side apps, the aspect ratio felt really limited in games.

The increase in immersion when switching back to 16:9 was very noticeable. Human vision is much closer to 16:9 or 16:10 than it is to ultra-wide so I don't even know why ultra widescreen is a thing, unless used for productivity. I will be gutted if it eventually replaces 16:9.

Soldato
Imo yes, I tried 4k and it didn't do anything for me, 21:9 is ideal as it's immersive enough for gaming and plenty of desktop space without requiring a second monitor.

So much so that when I broke my first one accidentally I had a replacement 21:9 within 2 days.

Soldato
I had ultra wide and ended up selling it and going back to 27" ips 165hz screen.
There was certain things i didnt like, planets in space games, when in space and you turn your ship and the planet in the near view goes from wide left of the screen to the right, you can see the planet turn a bit egg shaped and loses its round shape.
For me also the drop to 95hz (mine wouldnt do any more) was dramatic change which for BF1 i hated.

Soldato
I bought my 34" ultrawide 3 years ago and I've found it useful for productivity but gaming support is a mixed bag. Games with support are epic but I find too many have aspect issues and graphical glitches.

If I was buying again I'd probably just buy a large 32-40" 4k monitor given they're pretty cheap these days compared to ultrawides which are still kind of niche and haven't really come down in price much.

Associate
I think it comes down to what kind of games you play. If you mainly play console ports 4k Monitors are definitely for you. If you play MMOs or racing games and Tier 1 PC games ( Games that optimise for pretty much all Pc configs ) like Assassins Creeds Origins and Far Cry 5 / Battlefield 1 / Battlefront 2 then ultra wide is just plain amazing. I have 3 monitors - Samsung 49 and Acer Predator 34 and also 4k Philips.

Soldato
aqz3v2e75cc11.jpg

Associate
The increase in immersion when switching back to 16:9 was very noticeable. Human vision is much closer to 16:9 or 16:10 than it is to ultra-wide so I don't even know why ultra widescreen is a thing, unless used for productivity. I will be gutted if it eventually replaces 16:9.
yeah and humans cant see anything about 24fps too dont forget. also you are tripping.

Soldato
I'm holding off on buying for now. I really really want to go ultrawide but it's really difficult to swallow the price of a vega 64 when a 1080 is considerably cheaper. As far as I can tell there are no reasonably priced ultrawide g-sync monitors (are there?). Argh.

May wait to see what happens to the price of Vega 64s over the next few months, happy to have one but not if it's that much more than a 1080.

Man of Honour
I was hesitant about ultrawide first, but now I wouldn't go back. Games look glorious with the extra peripheral vision on the side. I also no longer need two monitors, I can just use side by side browser pages, so I got a bit more desk space out of it. The PG348Q is a fine piece of kit.

Soldato
It is very nice but for me personally I still prefer high fps to near enough anything with M+K. Still love my 165hz 1440p even after a year with 21:9 100hz. Struggled to get used to 80-100hz.

Why im now waiting for the 200hz 3440x1440 and a suitable card to run it.

Back
Top Bottom