Prescription swimming goggles

Soldato
Prescription swimming goggles
Has anyone purchases full prescription swimming goggles, rather than ones which estimate to nearest dioptre and don't help with astigmatism?

I've had a look online and price seem to range from £80 upwards to £150.
Anyone bought cheaper or has company they would recommend?

Do specsavers do full prescription or just the nearest dioptre stuff, the person in store wasn't entirely clear when i phoned?

Associate
Wear lenses. But normal goggles over top. Problem solved. That's what I've done lots of times with out any issue.

Although thats exactly what I do I am constantly being told off by my optician, the problem is if you get a significant amount of water in your goggles and it gets behind the lens it can contain a specific bacteria which can destroy the optic nerve within something stupid like 48hrs if not treated quickly, what she suggests is wearing one set of lenses to swim then change them out for a fresh pair once you are finished, obviously though this can be very expensive.

I swim a mile every day and have yet to have a problem just wearing one pair.

Didn't even look at prescription goggles as that would mean having to wear glasses to drive to the pool and home then putting in lenses which sounds like too much aggro to me :)

Caporegime
Why do you need prescription goggles? Surely all you need to see is that thick black/Blue line under you?
Maybe the backstroke flags above.

Last edited:
Associate
How much astigmatism do you have? Most people get by with a best vision approximation. Also, if you're short sighted and do a lot of swimming perhaps you could consider Eye Dream/Ortho-keratology.

Soldato
I used to wear lenses for cycling and swimming. Then, rather foolishly, I slept in them and ended up with a terrible eye infection. I can now no longer wear lenses. With that in mind, my advice is; bionic eyeballs.

Associate
Have you tried the speedo mariner goggles? I have slight astigmatism but I’ve found them to be great. Even if they’re not quite perfect does it matter for swimming anyway?

Soldato
look in swimming thread - have disscussed several times

40605724494_932a157e19_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Been twenty years since I wore lenses.
That is what i used to do.
Really don't think i could be bothered with getting used to them again.

20 years is a long time, they've changed a lot.

These days they are made of fancy new materials and fairly thin. You don't even really notice once they are in aside odd little bit of dry eyes.

Soldato
OP
look in swimming thread - have disscussed several times

40605724494_932a157e19_o_d.jpg

Is this not simple a separate diopter lens as one can get all over the place, i don't see anywhere to correct cylinder or axis in this prescription.
I have a set of diopter goggles, I want something more accurate.

Soldato
I wear dailies when in the sea and immediately take them out once out of the sea... Like countless others have had no issue doing this for many years. Guess if you don't wear glasses and insist on wearing contacts then this could end up expensive but that's personal choice

Back
Top Bottom