Just gave blood again, do you?

Soldato
I have only once given blood. the next day my arm came up in a bruise the entire length of it and I couldn't move it for several days so had to take time off work.

Won't be doing that again!

Soldato
I have only once given blood. the next day my arm came up in a bruise the entire length of it and I couldn't move it for several days so had to take time off work.

Won't be doing that again!
Similar story here, albeit not quite so dramatic .

It was extremely uncomfortable during the actual giving blood process, and I had bruising from mid bicep to mid forearm.

Had gone into it expecting a walk in the park, as everyone had said it was, but it was a pretty awful experience so haven't tried again

Soldato
I would do and have in the past but the NHS don't seem to like what they give me to keep me alive.
Great respect to those that can and do, I have had 2 significant operations that relied on your generosity.
Andi.

Soldato
Similar story here, albeit not quite so dramatic .

It was extremely uncomfortable during the actual giving blood process, and I had bruising from mid bicep to mid forearm.

Had gone into it expecting a walk in the park, as everyone had said it was, but it was a pretty awful experience so haven't tried again

Likewise, as nobody really mentions there being any risk associated with it like that. I know it's something you should do as it can literally save lives but it's not feasible if it means being unable to move my arm (and drive or work) for several days.

Soldato
Would love to start again but there are none that are convenient any more not without me taking a day off work and driving to it. Shame I used to be able to walk to it on my way home from work.
Plus they stopped sticking to booked times and I was there nearly 2 hours the last time I went.

Soldato
I'd love to give blood but they wont take mine as I smoke.

It's something I really want to do though. I believe if you're willing to take the blood when in need you should give it up when you have the chance. Same reason I'm an organ donor

Associate
Likewise, as nobody really mentions there being any risk associated with it like that. I know it's something you should do as it can literally save lives but it's not feasible if it means being unable to move my arm (and drive or work) for several days.

Do they struggle to get a vein? Mine is always strait in and out and I'm back in the gym the next day without even feeling anything, some people may just react badly to it, obviously the body isnt meant to be pricked for blood to be honest haha.

Soldato
Smoking doesn't stop you giving blood.

It doesn’t? I was always under the impression that if your blood had certain traces in it, they destroy it.

I’m going to look into this now! Something I’ve always wanted to do.

Silly question; does it hurt? I’ve only had blood taken for an ECG once but that was barely anything

Associate
It doesn’t? I was always under the impression that if your blood had certain traces in it, they destroy it.

Silly question; does it hurt? I’ve only had blood taken for an ECG once but that was barely anything

It doesn't hurt but the first few times it's uncomfortable as in its wierd you have a needle sticking out your arm.. definitely doesn't hurt though.

Commissario

I've never been asked if I smoke and I'm quite sure it's not one of the questions on any of the forms I've filled in.

It doesn't hurt but as @bowey said, it can sometimes be a little uncomfortable depending on who inserts the needle and how good they are. The one I had last week was a bit sore for a couple of days afterwards and I had a very small bruise but it's the only time this has happened.

Soldato
When I was able to give blood they would, on request, put a small shot of local anaesthetic where they were going to insert the "big" needle. Found that helped with the discomfort a bit, though felt a bit of a sissy for asking.

The main things that annoyed me a bit last couple of times I donated were insisting you drink a pint of water beforehand, no longer having the ten minute separate lay down afterwards and banning the rubber roller/grip to squeeze with your hand apparently on hygiene grounds!

Associate
It doesn't hurt but the first few times it's uncomfortable as in its wierd you have a needle sticking out your arm.. definitely doesn't hurt though.

As long as your physiology allows for it - I'm one of the few who has a nerve running along the vein they take the donation from on my left arm. So my second to last donation I almost passed out form the pain caused by the needle going through that which scrubbed the donation, though I am lucky in that there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage caused by it which could happen.

The donation I gave yesterday took 5 mins (in and out overall ~1 hour) and was less painful than the last blood test I had, so far it hasn't even bruised and I don't think its going to. You won't honestly know yourself until you try it.

Soldato
If I gave blood it would pour out like alcoholic snake venom.

Also why should I give someone my life blood for nothing? It does not make sense. :confused:

0.5 liters/ or 1 pint of blood for a bag of crisps, a biscuit and a cup of tea. That's Richard/Dick Turpin or John Palmerr gear. lol :D

Mods don't nail me for saying what I said. Its a very interesting story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Turpin

Last edited:
Soldato

Also why should I give someone my life blood for nothing? It does not make sense. :confused:

0.5 liters/ or 1 pint of blood for a bag of crisps, a biscuit and a cup of tea. That's Richard/Dick Turpin or John Palmerr gear. lol :D

Bet you would happily receive the blood if it would save your life for free though wouldn't you.

Associate

Well I don't personally see it as "why should I give my blood for nothing" I think, i hope one day for it to save someone's life.

Back
Top Bottom