Apple becomes most valuable firm of all time

Soldato
Doesn't that then require separate cabling to keep the device charged, and doesn't it mean you can't have an integrated dock on the dash to connect the device?

Why could you not have an integrated dock but having micro-USB instead of the Apple dock? The rest of the connection will be taken care of with Bluetooth.

The next question would then be the physical dock - could all phones actually FIT into the dock with differing dimensions but then the question also applies to iPhones due to the differences in sizes of the different models (3, 4 and the new 5 which is supposed to be taller)

Permabanned
Fun one for you all to read: *** link full of swearies, please do not repost ***

Never screw with jumped up shop assistants. THEY'RE GENIUSES, REMEMBER.

Soldato
I am baffled by those defending Apple's proprietary connector. It's no different to Sony's weird shaped plugs.

mrochester said:
If MicroUSB can do everything the dock connector does, then why is that the case? (And that question is directed towards the people who are wondering why Apple don't just use a MicroUSB connector)
OhEsEcks said:
This benefits 3rd party addon makers because it keeps the cost of development down for them not requiring to make something that needs to process and translate the incoming signal with drivers.
Bingo.
It also benefits Apple because if all the standard connectors in modern cars (for instance) change from being line-in to Apple docks... How can you connect any other phone? Apple are leveraging all their technologies by offering it as a 'one size fits all' connection in hardware.

OhEsEcks said:
5 pin micro USB is capable of nothing but USB data transfer and power.
The same could mostly over the MicroUSB bus (All except analogue video and audio, better quality digital equivalents are cheaply available). There isn't one large company pushing such a system to compete with Apple's connector (and it's docking ecosystem).

Apple appear to be moving away from it (to a 19 pin connection). I'll take a punt now they're removing all of the FireWire elements as well as the analogue audio and video, and doing exactly what I've just mentioned - do it all digitally. A lot has changed since they first conceived the 30-pin connector.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's amazing how people will buy something for 2x the price when you make it shiny white and remove connectors :D

Less for more.

Caporegime
Was reading something today about how the biggest money maker by far (double the revenue over the iPhone which is in 2nd place) is the money they make from services.

Like iTunes, iCloud, Apple Music etc.

And you get the best experience of those services on their hardware...

However, hardware sales are down significantly. Unless they change their tune in the next year. My next machine is windows.

Soldato
Congratulations Apple, well deserved. Whilst I don't actually own any of their products (android/google fan) I do admire their technical expertise. That said, I am thinking about buying an ipad pro and macbook pro soon. Keeping my android phone though :)

Soldato
Was reading something today about how the biggest money maker by far (double the revenue over the iPhone which is in 2nd place) is the money they make from services.

Like iTunes, iCloud, Apple Music etc.

And you get the best experience of those services on their hardware...

However, hardware sales are down significantly. Unless they change their tune in the next year. My next machine is windows.

Change their iTune you mean?

Soldato
I've compared Macbook to other non Apple laptops on the market and Macbook is definitely more stylish. Same goes for the iPod, iPad etc. For the sake of argument in style, what other computer company goes as far as sourcing the most aesthetically pleasing type of screw for us in their products? Only Apple do that, and it's only a bloody screw for crying out loud.

However before someone misquotes me, what I'm not saying is non-Apple products are not stylish, because some of them are - however a vast majority aren't.

I still have an issue with this, everybody seems to forget how blazingly fast their chips are - or how great the cameras are. I just don't see Samsung etc as more "powerful".

I get the walled garden stuff, and yes that can be annoying - but if you define powerful as being able to reskin it, I don't agree.

If I ditched Apple, I'd only consider pure android, such as the pixel 2.

Also, I think everybody likes to forget that apple are usually part of the working group for most things, like USB-C, thunderbolt etc. Wouldn't surprised me if they went to USB C.

Back
Top Bottom