• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Man of Honour
Did you actually read the review????

It clearly shows the 8700k is faster even at 1440P. I cannot wait for the 11 series of GPU's to arrive and put this argument to bed.
This whole 8700k is pointless above 1080P argument needs to stop there are 20fps differences is some titles, that can be a GPU upgrade to some.

Again, nobody is gaming on TR.
I'm not even sure why we are discussing this in here.

Quite, I'm pretty sure you guys have discussed this to death. That shot shows a 4% difference and AMD testing showed average 6%. I'm pretty sure anybody buying one won't be disappointed with gaming performance. At 1440 and 4k threadripper puts in a decent showing.

When gaming comes second to actual productivity threadripper shines. I also think that people won't be looking at either threadripper or 8700k... 2700x vs 8700k yes.. but 2990wx vs 8700k, just no. Anybody buying this cpu doesn't care about dropping 4 to 6% in gaming.

Soldato
Btw after a long discussion with EK support today, the Monoblock for the Asrock X399, is not compatible with the X399M regardless of what the news websites are saying
The reason is the X399M has in different places the VRM screws compared to the other two ATX boards.

So full board it is. Also asked them if they are going to make monoblock for the MSI MEG, and I will let you know :)

@gavinh87 however the 8700K works at 5Ghz, 2700 at 4.2 (so 20% higher clocks) while the 8700K consumes more than 10% more power for 6% perf difference. And especially if you remove some crap 10y old engines like the one in Starcraft 2 and CS:GO the difference doesn't cover up the extra power consumption and heat. Especially given that the 2700 outperforms the 8700K on non gaming software.

So back to the discussion. That means a 2920X & 2950X going to be great for gaming :)

Soldato
Quite, I'm pretty sure you guys have discussed this to death. That shot shows a 4% difference and AMD testing showed average 6%. I'm pretty sure anybody buying one won't be disappointed with gaming performance. At 1440 and 4k threadripper puts in a decent showing.

When gaming comes second to actual productivity threadripper shines. I also think that people won't be looking at either threadripper or 8700k... 2700x vs 8700k yes.. but 2990wx vs 8700k, just no. Anybody buying this cpu doesn't care about dropping 4 to 6% in gaming.

Exactly, quite why this was even bought up in this thread baffles me. Like I've said, in some titles the difference is considerable and is worth noting.
Just not in here.

Associate
Didn't AMD France "leak" a performance chart recently? 2990WX clocked at 5.1GHz under LN2 giving Intel's 28-core stunt a bit of an ass-whooping?

But then again you'd expect 4 more cores and more extreme cooling to win, wouldn't you :p

TechYesCity had a video up the other day showing at 4.9 all core under LN2 Iirc?

Around the 5:40 mark

Associate
I doubt anyone could care less whether an intel chip is a handful of % better in crap games when we are talking about TR, the fact its only a few % is remarkable.

Still AMD are held back by the likes of Adobe who really need to get there crap sorted out, no excuse for the intel bias there software seems to command. Hmm wonder if there are folded pictures of the queen floating about causing this :p:p

Soldato
Matter of opinion, gaming motherboards for threadripper have been released from gigabyte so there seems to be some gaming interest in what is more of a workstation based cpu.

I will certainly be buying it for gaming, simply because I don't have the room for another build dedicated just for gaming. So this will have to do all for me. If it was bad at gaming I would not touch these CPU but luckily if you can get 8 of these cores to 4.00ghz plus and are on 4k monitor then it makes not much difference between this and other CPU more suited for gaming. The difference for me is negligible, few frame here and there who cares.

But what is going to be really amazing is 7nm Threadripper and possibly up to 64 cores if AMD choose such madness.

Soldato
Matter of opinion, gaming motherboards for threadripper have been released from gigabyte so there seems to be some gaming interest in what is more of a workstation based cpu.
yep and I game on a TR1950X and it's been great at that too :). It's also a general workhorse, hosts VM's etc. Bleddy marvellous I'd say.
If you want something that will cope with pretty much anything you may chuck at it now or in the future you'd just get as many cores as you can. 32 may be a little extreme but definitely 16 now moving forward. 8 is probably a great sweet spot right now for many (price too).

Caporegime

The "wraith ripper" looks to be about the same size as a bag of sugar, huge. :eek:

Think this guy thought he was building a crossfire setup, no sli bridge.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

AMD testing showed average 6%. I'm pretty sure anybody buying one won't be disappointed with gaming performance. At 1440 and 4k threadripper puts in a decent showing.

6% less game performance but 50% productivity improvement?

ccdBd5M.jpg

And all without the need of a 10 grand 28 core cpu and an electric chiller :p

I do all that on my 1950x - I can't wait to see how a 2990wx improves my workflow.

Soldato
Even without seeing the reviews you can make some reasonable guesses.

It's literally more of the same so your main concern is being sure your software can handle the threads.

Back
Top Bottom