• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper on Zen+ 32 Cores - Launching Q3 2018

Soldato
Probly means 2970WX seeing as that and the 2920X are the ones that just launched.

2970WX is much the same as 2990WX in only sometimes being able to show advantage over other CPUs at least partly due to software not knowing what to do with them.

2920X and 2950X are good all rounders.

Yeah my bad speed typing, too many X’s story of my life ;)

2920X more interested in given pretty limited reviews so far.

On Order? Had a 2950x since August.

Search through this thread and you'll find a big spreadsheet with about 30 benchmarks where I compare the 1950x against the 2950x.

Cheers, will take a look later!

Soldato
Am I right in thinking the 2950X is about the fastest Zen+ chip going (single core)? Curious what headroom would be given to PBO if you disabled half the cores...not having tried one though and finding no way to push my 2700x, I suspect "not a lot" might well be the answer.

Associate
Yes it is, though the difference is minimal. 4.4 vs 4.2 on Zen isn't that noticeable outside of benchmarking.

For instance my 1950X isn't worth changing for a 2950X as the perf is essentially the same. OC wise I may be able to squeeze a 4.2GHz all core OC vs a 4.0GHz, but it's not worth the money to change CPU.

IMO unless you need the productivity of the 2950X then stick with the normal Ryzen. Personally waiting on Zen 2 for my next potential move. If the ThreadRipper 3xxx are still compatible then a 3950X may well be on the cards due to the die shrink and potential for much higher single core performance. Should be interesting next year at least in the CPU sphere. 2020 maybe the year for GPU's ;)

Back
Top Bottom