Banks: wtf?

Caporegime
Well today I tried to withdraw cash from a cash point . The cash point swallowed the card and rebooted to the bios post screen and spent 10mins rebooting.

No card. No dice.

I call my bank and it's going to be 5-7 working days till I get a new card. What am i meant to do I the meantime ? Dhnjzgjbcxhjk

Caporegime
OP
"Unknown Exception".. so the fact that something went wrong.. but they don't know what .. and rather than help they simply report it.

Also "Active" button.. shouldn't that be "Activate"?

Their site is full and I mean full of errors I would expect on some filthy immigrant's blog, I think we should let them sort out the more important stuff first, like how to be a bank.

Caporegime
Well today I tried to withdraw cash from a cash point . The cash point swallowed the card and rebooted to the bios post screen and spent 10mins rebooting.

No card. No dice.

I call my bank and it's going to be 5-7 working days till I get a new card. What am i meant to do I the meantime ? Dhnjzgjbcxhjk

Don’t you have another account full of cash you immigrant? :p

Soldato
Working for a bank and dealing with calls from people with similar issues on a daily basis, I find it hard to sympathise. It works both ways and I'm sure you would be the first to kick up a fuss if someone managed to take that money fraudulently.

I do agree that the process of setting up online banking with most banks is a convoluted but it is a one time process and isn't something that needs to be done each time.

Soldato
Its easy in that situation

1) Obtain your passport

2) Close the account

A debit card is not proof of ID, and fair enough the £50 limit, but if you tell them you want to close the account, then you will have ALL the money!

1. Create a savings account
2. Link it to your current account
3. Install the app with fingerprint login, which can access both accounts
4. Rainy day occurs (normally 360 out of 365 days per year in rainy England)
5. Use the app to transfer X amount from savings account to linked current account
6. Withdraw said X amount using debit card
7. ??????
8. Profit

And you've used a cheque as recently as 2 years ago? Hell, my granny is 89 and she's not used cheques on this side of 2010. She does everything online!

Associate
Its easy in that situation

1) Obtain your passport

2) Close the account

A debit card is not proof of ID, and fair enough the £50 limit, but if you tell them you want to close the account, then you will have ALL the money!
can't close an account without a bank card or ID though.

Man of Honour
Got to say that I would also expect better from my bank. I've banked with Barclays for some 30 years with absolutely no issues. Since I have been with the wife so 11 years or so I have also ended up with accounts with HSBC and Santander. The only one that I think still really does customer service is Barclays but at the same time they are also the only bank I have never had any issue with. I went through a absolute nightmare with the wife over xmas a few years back with HSBC blocking all of our online and in store purchases for no apparent reason, their online banking is pretty terrible, phone banking the same it's just never really feels like a good experience, I find santander similar tbh.

With Barclays they couldn't be better. In store even without a card they will print you one there and then if you have some ID or if you have the barclays app which is superb by the way and actually really easy to set up unlike most of the others. Say you do lose a card or have no ID they will still find you in the system, ask a load of questions and then serve you like they should. I find they give me a courtesy call at least once a year to offer account reviews etc and to be fair they are normally very helpful. To me that feels like the sort of service a bank should be giving.

Edit: The funny thing is that while I was using HSBC my wife had also worked for them for 10 years. Even the service she was getting as an employee... utter rubbish.

Soldato
they are another bank, they are a division of HSBC without the branches.
Yes they are owned by HSBC, well done.

But just a division of HSBC without the branches? No.You have missed the key point that they operate to a completely different level of customer service compared to HSBC. Try calling HSBC and you'll be put through several layers of menus before speaking to someone. Call First Direct and you'll be speaking to someone before the phone has had a chance to ring.

Soldato
Banking in the USA is quite interesting. It's a mix of antiquated technology (cheques, credit card swiping and signatures (lol!)) with some modern technology (good online banking, Apple, Samsung and Google Pay, etc). There's no free Faster Payments service in the USA, unlike the UK.

I can send money to another bank account in the USA for free via ACH but the money takes several days to arrive and (with my bank and likely others) it's a massive faff to add new recipients to my online bank account. It's just not worth it for the most part.

I used a cheque as recently as earlier this week. Sadly, people still use cheques in the USA because it can be far more convenient than sending money online. Also, my bank credits cheques into my account immediately.

My wife uses Square Cash to send and receive small amounts of money to other people and it's very easy, although it takes quite a few days to withdraw money from Square Cash into her bank account.

Soldato
Whether he had the details or not if he takes I'd e.g. Passport or driving license that should be enough to let him have his money.

Not like there easy items to fake surely they Could also ask him other questions.

Back
Top Bottom