Banks: wtf?

Soldato
I'm with HSBC, loved them for years then they released that login code generator and things went downhill.

Not needed that for some time now. Mine went flat years ago, can generate codes with the app if needed.

Been with them for over 20 years now, never really done me any harm. They randomly block my card once a year for suspect activity but no biggy.

Don't really see the benefit in moving to be honest.

Man of Honour
Yes they are owned by HSBC, well done.

But just a division of HSBC without the branches? No.You have missed the key point that they operate to a completely different level of customer service compared to HSBC. Try calling HSBC and you'll be put through several layers of menus before speaking to someone. Call First Direct and you'll be speaking to someone before the phone has had a chance to ring.
This. I've called before and they've answered so quickly I've forgotten why I called. :D

Soldato
Not needed that for some time now. Mine went flat years ago, can generate codes with the app if needed.

Been with them for over 20 years now, never really done me any harm. They randomly block my card once a year for suspect activity but no biggy.

Don't really see the benefit in moving to be honest.

Don't you need a different password/code to log into the app than you do the internet banking? Or can you now use the same?

Soldato
Don't you need a different password/code to log into the app than you do the internet banking? Or can you now use the same?
Nope. For the desktop website need your long IB id, your security question answer, then a password (same password as mobile app). App just needs tying to your above details first time and then just needs the password each time after.

Soldato
If you have trouble in the branch of a bank, just say 'OK, I'd like to close the account please'. Suddenly, avenues previously unavailable seem to open up.

Soldato
Not in my experience. There'll be just as much paperwork and ID required, if not more, and if the account is anything like the one off detailed by the OP they will have zero interest in making any effort to retain you as a customer in a positive way.

Caporegime
After numerous hair pulling incidents with NatWest, I’ve recently changed to First Direct, the difference is night & day better, any issues are sorted over the phone, they bend over backwards to help, not to mention a fee £500 overdraft (could have had more had I wished) and a £2.5k 0% credit card (NatWest offered £1k @18.9%)

Couldn’t recommend them highly enough.

Soldato
Listening to the folks on here - how did banks ever let people access money before a bank card - Oh, thats right, you took ID (like a passport or "driving license") and they let you have your money!!!!!!!

I've been with TSB for over 25 years and the local Hanley (Stoke) branch is now a shadow of it's former self with 1-2 till staff only, no one on reception, only 1-2 managers, 0 business managers, meeting rooms being rented out because they're standing empty now 75% of the staff have left etc and the Burslem branch has just shut down leaving a town without a single bank and only 1 cash machine (a Link one) etc - TSB is on the way out looking at this and customer service was the first thing to be thrown out the door!

Associate
Just use first direct. Can ring them 24 hours a day and no problems like this.

Why people use other banks no idea. Simply cannot beat first direct for customer service and no indian call centre either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yes they are owned by HSBC, well done.

But just a division of HSBC without the branches? No.You have missed the key point that they operate to a completely different level of customer service compared to HSBC. Try calling HSBC and you'll be put through several layers of menus before speaking to someone. Call First Direct and you'll be speaking to someone before the phone has had a chance to ring.
Hate to break it to you, but the lack of branches and their tie to HSBC is their Achilles heel.

A few years ago I set up a FD account and was happy with the service. So much so, I asked my fiancee if she'd like to switch away from Natwest and get a joint account with FD.

Called FD who explained that all I would need to do is apply online to make my current account a joint account. Several minutes of clicking on the website later and the application was done... so far, so good.

Weeks later, I checked on the status and it was still sat pending so I called FD again. "Oh noes, you need to go to a solicitor and provide proof of ID" they told me. I refused on the principle that a) that wouldn't be required if she applied for her own account online b) it would cost me money to get proof. A compromise was reached when they advised that we could pop in to a local HSBC store with a passport/driving licence etc and get it countersigned by the branch manager... annoying but fair, so that's what we did.

Several more weeks passed when I queried what the hold up was, only to be told that they didn't recognise the signature and were rejecting the proof of ID. After informing that it was the BRANCH MANAGER that had personally witnessed, scanned and signed the document they wouldn't budge. They wanted me to get in touch with the branch and chase the manager to write a letter... it was at this point I pulled the plug and transferred away from them.

The customer support people were friendly, but the insistence that I could do stuff through HSBC when a problem arose and then asking me to do all the chasing, totally undermined them. Sometimes you need a branch to get stuff done.

Soldato
Yes, but you needed it to set the app up, or at least you did last time I tried.
Mine went flat, to be honest I can't remember if it was before or after.

But if needs be just use to register then return it for recycling. Don't need it at all after that, if at all these days.

Soldato
Mine went flat, to be honest I can't remember if it was before or after.

But if needs be just use to register then return it for recycling. Don't need it at all after that, if at all these days.

yeah I need to find my local branch, request a new one through them then phone up and get something reset so I can activate it then get it setup online to actually work.

New account on Barclays, everything through the post in 3 days, and they have amazeballs online chat help :D

Associate
Awwww Diddums...

Come on people 36 posts in!

This was the first thing I thought, haha!

I have to say that I sympathize with banks making it hard for people to get money. It helps people to trust them. I'd hate to know that someone could easily go into a bank and without my card, access large sums of my money. It's a bit of a pain for me but as I have what I need, it's worth it.

Soldato
If you have trouble in the branch of a bank, just say 'OK, I'd like to close the account please'. Suddenly, avenues previously unavailable seem to open up.

Requires at least as much ID verification. Especially as it likely involves transferring the entire balance somewhere.

Caporegime
some banks are terrible though.

bro walked in a bank tried to deposit some money. the women wouldnt except the money as she said it was street money ! cause it was 4 x 20 then a 20 sideways to wrap it to a hundred :p

he said are you really not going to take it ? what if i straighten it out so no sideways notes? " oh yes that will be fine ! " :confused::D

Back
Top Bottom