Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [17th - 22nd August 2018]

Man of Honour
Zidane is apparently keen, but that's a huge risk. Then again, Mourinho and LvG shouldn't have been risky appointments, but both have ultimately failed. Moyes was hopeless but that was just bizarre.

I'm not sure who stands out, I think Poch would definitely be better than Mourinho (which isn't difficult), but it's a total mess at the moment.

I don't think it's as big a job as some are making out - on the pitch the team fail at even the simplest things quite often. You don't need to be Pep to sort that out. A Director of Football in place would help too, Woodward isn't ideal.

Caporegime
Err, it is. I said the two major things he achieved - part of what you chose to quote. Playing good football and overachieving with a fraction of the budget... you can't just cherrypick out of that. That's a package.

Dude I quoted your entire post, I didn't choose to quote part of anything. Please try harder.

Caporegime
Not really, you're praising Poch for doing well with a limited budget. Moyes did the same thing, except he didn't have a squad full of international talent. Assuming Poch could make the step up just because he's done ok at Spurs is the same kind of leap. Maybe he continues going after the same kind of players and ends up achieving the same amount at United as he has at Spurs. His 'good football' isn't anywhere near as good as you're making it out to be.

Soldato
What's your point? You said we were in the decline. A club in the decline doesn't go from 6th to 2nd. We also reach a major final.

My point being that each year Man Utd have looked less and less like a title winning side.

Even talking about “reaching a major final” shows how far the club has fallen. No Man Utd fan would have spoken like that under Fergie.

Caporegime
My point being that each year Man Utd have looked less and less like a title winning side.

Even talking about “reaching a major final” shows how far the club has fallen. No Man Utd fan would have spoken like that under Fergie.

So a club that finishes second looks less like winning a title than a side that finishes 6th? Well that is crystal clear.

And actually I lived through fergie's reign, so I know exactly how a Man Utd fan would have spoken, being that I am one :)

Caporegime
Yes we would like trophies but the main thing we want is good football that we enjoy watching. All the other top teams in the league play good football. We are the odd one out.

IMO City, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool and even Arsenal have much better technical players. Mourinho would rather win ugly than lose looking pretty and with his ego he wouldn't want months of poor results on his CV whilst coaching the team to play more excitingly. I think I've said before but you should have stuck with Van Gaal.

fez

fez

Caporegime
IMO City, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool and even Arsenal have much better technical players. Mourinho would rather win ugly than lose looking pretty and with his ego he wouldn't want months of poor results on his CV whilst coaching the team to play more excitingly. I think I've said before but you should have stuck with Van Gaal.

LVG was awful. Yes he had a style but it was pure possession with 0 tactics for the final third. He admitted as much. Keep possession and rely on your strikers to pull something out of the bag.

I don’t see how getting sacked from job after job is better than having a few months of slightly worse than usual results.

All of our recent managers have been sacked due to awful football which eventually results in poor results which is all the excuse you need to fire them. You can see that Liverpool have stuck with Klopp because he has them playing good football even if they haven’t had the results they want until perhaps last season.

It’s really simple, if you are a big team that is prepared to spend money and you have a manager that has the team playing good football then you will win stuff and fans will be happy.

If you are a big team and play boring football you are literally going to have to win something good every season to keep fans remotely happy.

Soldato
What hard expectations do we have. Play entertaining football. That’s literally it. Every manager we have had since Fergie has been disliked by the fans almost entirely for the football they played. Look at the criticism when we lose games and it’s that we are playing crap and being outplayed by rubbish teams.

Yes we would like trophies but the main thing we want is good football that we enjoy watching. All the other top teams in the league play good football. We are the odd one out.
what did you seriously expect from Mourinho when he was appointed?

Soldato
So nothing then?

Even the year that all the big clubs had a bad season they still flopped and Leicester won the title. They are perennial losers, they've not won anything. If you want to praise that then sure, go ahead. You're acting like he's managing a bunch of nobodies. His squad is full of international stars, he should have won something by now.
You talking about arsenal who won 3 fa cups in 4 years?

Soldato
He's on about Spurs isn't he?

Too much is going on at United for this to continue for much longer really. Mark Goldbridge is most definitely the highlight of all of this.

Don
He's on about Spurs isn't he?

Too much is going on at United for this to continue for much longer really. Mark Goldbridge is most definitely the highlight of all of this.
He's the one Utd supporter that's definitely 'Jose In'. Another season of Mourinho and he'll be as rich as Robbie from AFTV.

Soldato
So a club that finishes second looks less like winning a title than a side that finishes 6th? Well that is crystal clear.

And actually I lived through fergie's reign, so I know exactly how a Man Utd fan would have spoken, being that I am one :)

Every season since Fergie retired Man Utd have looked less and less like a title winning side. Whether they finish 2nd or 6th is irrelevant. The gap last season between them winning the league was greater than the season before. I don’t mean the number of points they won, but the changes needed to the side.

Caporegime
Every season since Fergie retired Man Utd have looked less and less like a title winning side. Whether they finish 2nd or 6th is irrelevant. The gap last season between them winning the league was greater than the season before. I don’t mean the number of points they won, but the changes needed to the side.

City literally had a record breaking season, such things sometimes happen. We were still better than the previous season in every single aspect. Saying we look less like a title winning side than the season before is not an opinion, it is just factually incorrect.

Soldato
City literally had a record breaking season, such things sometimes happen. We were still better than the previous season in every single aspect. Saying we look less like a title winning side than the season before is not an opinion, it is just factually incorrect.

City have moved on and left Man Utd behind.

This is the first season since Fergie has retired when I wouldn’t consider them as being in the running for the title.

There are going to be many unhappy fans throughout the Home Counties at the end of the season.

I live in Brighton and their fans thought they had a great chance of winning before the game.

Back
Top Bottom