• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
Doing some benches compared to my old R9 290. The FPS is about 1.75x. Not bad, but it is twice the price of the new R9 290 4 years ago.

How did you get on with the temps on the Vega. I have the same case and a ref v64 with one HDD on the lower shelf, I had to cut about 4" off on the psu tray, as the gpu intake was too close to it and starving itself of air. Once I did that I saw much better temps.
IMG_20180806_093528.jpg

Associate
How did you get on with the temps on the Vega. I have the same case and a ref v64 with one HDD on the lower shelf, I had to cut about 4" off on the psu tray, as the gpu intake was too close to it and starving itself of air. Once I did that I saw much better temps.
IMG_20180806_093528.jpg

Ah yes, that area infront of the PSU only has a few PSU cables in it in my case. I just have an SSD in my PC (my mass storage is in a 2 bay external RAID 1 enclosure). It's much cooler where I am at the moment and the card is running at 36 degrees when idle and the fan at 10% (stock fan curve). Under load it settles at 70-75 degrees with the fan at 35% (stock fan curve again). It's cooler than my R9 290 with slower fan speeds! The cooler on that is the XFX "double dissipation" - the 2 fans on that were blocked by the PSU shroud. The hot air coming straight out the back of the vega is HOT, but obviously that hot air is not in my case crucially! I think the decision to go with a blower cooler was a good one. Not many reviews of this MSI Airboost variant of the Vega 56, but I would recommend it.

Also interesting that if GPU-Z is correct, the card is only pulling 163W under full load. Photo below is mid game in Planet Coaster @ 1440p high preset - all the video memory is being used!

(Not sure why the fan says it's spinning at 36% and 2121 RPM. That means 100% is 5892 RPM. Hmmm)

yZmce6m1iHmAeMyKQARBF1u0QjnY_rIcHU4WainpUsGH1cR3ZUmXTePwMrzufjaJ6EArsiGa78ly4_sxMdAfGeuXwUZwviuC3x8vj8v83Wkvux1t4YXLmxWc5SDjo1YpGxwftvSy_BrAHILrVOMIGIBub3LYn5GHJvQlmXWqQovzHo6ASjcvyjLvaRtjvVV8i9zHpnJvvSrAlWm1HXBSyss228LVwmoq05qq7mJbD66OUNu83xEAg28DCnJfo_FWtZIdzN76oV8MBol4wwVYMcOQ8NYGga-HAXftZvTthOZ0DEvFm6038A0UUjJGgDNHRtAWbCnvcEKze4wFEoXBgrevQ1AEOSkid0Hqt2eP251AiLBeDaLt_1QFH1XjKvrYrvNd3TS5KtCsMq3vneN4SfGR4Zzl5ZnmHsiqut_3Rh7BiXB1bjituu0eDGTeFBqsQRfhSSuU59uwu8ofHPZ0dLJnu-UBbCajBHU2ttUyCXV1HkDp2Lqr82HaVjf6mEloaFhtBvKdkPEZlT7ssr0ULg-kNpq1RAPQes90bf73uVmXFW41bKXWg-FskoGefllk8t6c1g1CsPEnbUWGYbiH-Nr8JZi45UHaYf2UG8A=w722-h1283-no

Soldato
Here are my settings:

MSI Vega Air Boost
Frequency overclock: 5% (runs at ~1600Mhz)
Core volts: 1010
Mem: 990
Mem volts: 990
Fan profile: stock
Power limit: 50%

I ran 3Dmark stress test for 20-30 mins and my temps were 72-75'c.

If it's any use my best 3Dmark score was just under 24k for the Vega, default clock on my Ryzen 2700x. Stock score was around 22k. So around a 10% gain for less heat, noise and power usage!

Associate
Oh I didn't realise you had the airboost as well. Nice feel to it isn't there? A very high quality product with that weight and solidity that feels, right. Cheers for the settings. Will start messing with volts and frequencies soon.

Soldato
Oh I didn't realise you had the airboost as well. Nice feel to it isn't there? A very high quality product with that weight and solidity that feels, right. Cheers for the settings. Will start messing with volts and frequencies soon.

Yeah considering it was the cheapest, it feels anything but. It's also similar to reference so I hope that's a good thing, and the fan isn't too loud in normal use either.

Associate
If it's any use my best 3Dmark score was just under 24k for the Vega, default clock on my Ryzen 2700x. Stock score was around 22k. So around a 10% gain for less heat, noise and power usage!

That 2700x is a monster. My overall score is 14654. Graphics 19639, physics 9901. 4 threads doesn't really cut the mustard these days. I need to get a 7700k (best I can get on Z170).

Associate
Has anyone flashed a Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ to a Vega 64?

I've tried twice using a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ bios but when the PC reboots, I get no display output, even though the computer appears to be booting (judging by hdd activity).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong (quite likely) or maybe the bios isn't compatible due to the 56 using Hynix and the 64 using Samsung memory.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Associate
Has anyone flashed a Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ to a Vega 64?

I've tried twice using a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ bios but when the PC reboots, I get no display output, even though the computer appears to be booting (judging by hdd activity).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong (quite likely) or maybe the bios isn't compatible due to the 56 using Hynix and the 64 using Samsung memory.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I falshed my Vega 56 Nitro+ with a Vega 64 Nitro+ bios yesterday. If you are using windows 10 (build 1803) you have to use Atiflash 2.84.

The memory on my card won't run anything above 945 MHz, but it's still an upgrade compared to before.

Associate
Hello everyone, has anyone had issues with Vega 56 crashing at idle? I've just got a Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56.
Perfectly stable under load...

Caporegime
Try using an Afterburner profile to lock the clocks at the lowest they'll go you can use for idle.

Had to do that on my old 290 as it kept crashing at idle on the desktop, when just browsing etc..., but was solid as a rock under load (gaming), i found when just opening programs, like ff etc..., the clocks would go ape, randomly spiking and dropping, sometimes massively, so figured it may be when it does a random massive spike or drop, it just can't handle it, so crashes, so i made an idle profile to lock the clocks with Afterbruner, and it never happened again.

Associate
It didn't "suck" in the first place. Prices were high, but look at Nvidia now!
The issue was AMD were bringing a card over a year later to the party at the same price with the same or less performance at much higher power consumption. That is a fail.

Nvidia however, yes their pricing sucks and I'm against the RTX series cards but at least they bring new technology and performance to the table whilst AMDs best cards are still offering 2016 performance heading into 2019....

Back
Top Bottom