The England Cricket Thread

Soldato
Went on too long partially I’m sure because he wanted to bed another opener in to be the experienced one when he’s gone bit like Strauss did with him. Sadly all our other openers are hopeless!

Soldato
I’m pretty confident even a poor opener would have done better than him this series. His highest score has been 29.
Jennings has scored 130 runs in this series at an average of 18.57 I believe. Highest score of 42.

Cook has 109 runs at 15.57. Admittedly both players should have scored more runs, had at least some 50s in there and an average much, much better than the teens!

Cook's career average is 44.88. I reckon that for Cook to get an average of 45, he'd have to score 121 runs in his last match, assuming he loses his wicket in both innings! Knowing Cook he'll probably get a triple hundred score now he's announced his retirement!

Caporegime
OP
Lol, Alistair Cook just joked that his friend had rung him to check he was still alive. I thought that when I was listening to sky sports news. All the constant talk of tributes was like he had popped his clogs!

Soldato
Saw an interesting stat this morning - over the matches in which Cook opened and averaged 44.88, the three other openers (ie his partner and the opponents) averaged 34.1.

Soldato
Jeez man, Cook does a good job opening, Jennings failed again as per usual, but Ali helped build the innings, and then Cook goes, Root goes almost immediately and Bairstow out for 0. Good work team!

Caporegime
Century needed for Jennings in the last innings or we'll never see him in test cricket again.

I'd actually stick Jos Buttler up there to open and see how he did.

I'm actually quite surprised we've won this series with room, given our poor top order and military medium swing bowlers.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Can't see them dropping Jennings. Where are they going to find TWO brand-new openers :confused:

I think things need to be taken into perspective. The best team in the world turned up with arguably their best-ever pace attack, and were beaten with a test remaining.

So yeah we need an opener, a #3, and most certainly a proper fast bowler, but we've done alright without them.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
The tail's wagging again.

Butler seems to be letting Broad actually face deliveries and he's playing with much more confidence. No issues with Broad taking a single off the 6th ball.

Back
Top Bottom