Sky Q opinions?

Don
Nope - it's a few new gimmicks (voice search, fluid viewing) plastering over fundamentals that still haven't been addressed (still poor quality "SD" channels for the most part, poor quality hardware, expensive subscriptions)

Caporegime
OP
Nope - it's a few new gimmicks (voice search, fluid viewing) plastering over fundamentals that still haven't been addressed (still poor quality "SD" channels for the most part, poor quality hardware, expensive subscriptions)

Fluid viewing ?

Thought the Q2tb box was decent ?

I don’t know what do...I have until the 14th to cancel my install...currently with Freesat and my humax box is playing up and I no longer can get channel 4 HD due to freesat licensing

Don
Fluid viewing ?

Thought the Q2tb box was decent ?

Fluid viewing is continuing a program on another box in another room.

2tb box is decent in terms of spec, with 4k, HDR potentially, 7 tuners. But in terms of reliability and compatibility it's standard sky fair, built to a cheap price point (psu issues on early boxes), and personally I've had issues with the box locking up completely, no video randomly when hdmi control is turned on, and audio hitching (noticeable on music channels), although better with WiFi turned off.

If it wasn't for the ease of use / wife approval factor, then I'd be looking at something else.

Caporegime
OP
Fluid viewing is continuing a program on another box in another room.

2tb box is decent in terms of spec, with 4k, HDR potentially, 7 tuners. But in terms of reliability and compatibility it's standard sky fair, built to a cheap price point (psu issues on early boxes), and personally I've had issues with the box locking up completely, no video randomly when hdmi control is turned on, and audio hitching (noticeable on music channels), although better with WiFi turned off.

If it wasn't for the ease of use / wife approval factor, then I'd be looking at something else.

What else is there ?

Caporegime
OP
Hdhomerun and Plex based solution then maybe?

My plusnet was hitting for £40 per month and my sky q 2tb is £62 per month with fibre max and 2 x minis so I’ll give it a whirl for the next 18 months...

20 quid a month for three independent rooms and 4 k in my main longe is better than buying 3 free view boxes or equivalent.Sky Q 2tb has to be better than my 5 year old humax freesat boxes...the gui drives me mad it’s so slow.

I have Plex in every room ....I’m currently paying 7.99 for Netflix and Netflix is coming to sky for £10 and you get box sets so for an extra 3 quid I’ll get box sets and Netflix all on the sky box.

Don
My plusnet was hitting for £40 per month and my sky q 2tb is £62 per month with fibre max and 2 x minis so I’ll give it a whirl for the next 18 months...

20 quid a month for three independent rooms and 4 k in my main longe is better than buying 3 free view boxes or equivalent.Sky Q 2tb has to be better than my 5 year old humax freesat boxes...the guy drives me mad it’s so slow.

Sounds like it will definitely be an improvement on the humax boxes - the Sky Q EPG is very responsive.

I'm being overly critical - it is by and large very good, and a noticeable improvement over the older HD boxes (indeed having a 2nd mini box is not something I would have bothered with if it wasn't for Q), it's just £62/month over 18 months does give you the budget for a few alternatives (although arguably there will always be some compromise - hence why I still have Q)

Caporegime
OP
Sounds like it will definitely be an improvement on the humax boxes - the Sky Q EPG is very responsive.

I'm being overly critical - it is by and large very good, and a noticeable improvement over the older HD boxes (indeed having a 2nd mini box is not something I would have bothered with if it wasn't for Q), it's just £62/month over 18 months does give you the budget for a few alternatives (although arguably there will always be some compromise - hence why I still have Q)

I even looked at all other internet providers and they all came in at around £30 so I think that £62 is not bad for three rooms plus fibre...haggled with plus net and they wouldn’t budge for some odd reason despite new customers getting a better deal.

I’ll see what’s what in 18 months...if only now TV was 1080p with the option of 4K

Man of Honour
You do know that 4K is only upscaling 1080i/p for the HD channels (and 576i for the SD ones) except for downloaded movies, some box sets and the UHD sports channel?

Caporegime
OP
You do know that 4K is only upscaling 1080i/p for the HD channels (and 576i for the SD ones) except for downloaded movies, some box sets and the UHD sports channel?

I do now...but box sets in 4K is enough...not got sports...

My reasoning is that sky q offers an upgrade over what I have for 22 extra a month over plusnet alone and I don’t have to spend £600 on standalone boxes in each room

Soldato
And yet in other ways it hasn't - while the Sky Q app is a great idea for tablets and mobiles (and indeed with Q you can have 4 mobile devices) - but why isn't there a PS4/Xbox version?

why would you need an app for ps4/xbox?

why watch it via your ps4 on the tv when you can just watch it on the tv direct from your q box anyway :confused:

Back
Top Bottom