Sky Q opinions?

Caporegime
OP
Just rang sky to cancel....not even activated yet...they dropped the price to £59 for Entertainment , 2tb Q , 2x minis, Fibre Max ,multiscreen and HD pack

Doubt I can get it lower lol :p

Soldato
Just rang sky to cancel....not even activated yet
clever - had you also avoided any installation charge ?

Just need a nice live TV front end (which hopefully emby will be)
looks like emby will have a subscription charge ($50/pa) as does hdhomerun - no ?
(presumably your dvbt card attaches to ps4 which will serve emby?)

I find roku ss+ , plus humax freeview box(single tuner, but can watch&record 2 if on the same mux) , plus tv tuner is adequate.

Don
looks like emby will have a subscription charge ($50/pa) as does hdhomerun - no ?
(presumably your dvbt card attaches to ps4 which will serve emby?)
Nope using an old wintv card in a spare pc.

Hdhomerun and channels app works great much better than plex or emby, have to pay for dvr service but well worth it

Hdhomerun doesn't have the wide app support in the same way that Plex/emby are available on Roku/android/PS4 etc. So if you get a hdhomerun you still need a Plex/emby server to get it into e.g. a Roku stick for a single front end for "wife approval factor"

Soldato
ok - because the homerun will attach to usb on a shield (and maybe ps4) afaik ... potentially reducing electricity.

another criteria - Do hoemrun or emby give you access to the unencrypted captured media (to keep forever, or re-encode h265) ,
since uk seems to have some degree of drm/gentlemens agreement where hd streams are encrypted to the hardware

Associate
You can use channels app instead of plex / emby on hdhome

Hdhomerun doesn't have the wide app support in the same way that Plex/emby are available on Roku/android/PS4 etc. So if you get a hdhomerun you still need a Plex/emby server to get it into e.g. a Roku stick for a single front end for "wife approval factor"

Like I posted you can use the channels app, available on android, Apple TV, iOS and fire tv, with a hdhomerun tuner works better than plex or emby but dvr is a subscription based server, its the best tv app in my opinion and the support is great

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
Cancelled again...after reminding myself about the install charge...:mad:

Dropped to £51 per month same package

They refunded me £99 to my credit card for install and credited my account £30 this covers the install .

Don’t think I can get it any lower....:p

Soldato
Don’t think I can get it any lower....:p
you mean it is really cancelled and the price is now zero

.... so is the hdhomerun dvr or plex interface good ? looks like, it looks like, top image, but I would want something like the freeview interface I am familiar with, the lower one (https://sichbopvr.com/ s/w)
I want a time line on multiple channels .. scaled correctly for 4k display too, to see maximum programmes.

45138537961_78d0790dbd_z_d.jpg

Caporegime
OP
you mean it is really cancelled and the price is now zero

Well I needed broadband as my plusnet was creeping up to £41

So I’m pleased with £10 extra Sky Q 2Tb and 2x mins...

It’s taken a few calls and pseudo cancellations...but my goal was free install and a better deal than advertised.

They just didn’t want me to leave before activation...not tried this method before as it’s usualky haggling at the end of the contract not before the contract has started.

Caporegime
The mini boxes are incapable of 4K/UHD output and the WiFi links really struggled in testing to stream UHD as it was tried very early in testing. Very few people have more than one 4K tv as well, like low single digit percentage making it not worthwhile to develop.

@HangTime the BBC control the channel numbering and they decided that due to the number of BBC regions they won’t broadcast an individual regional channel in HD as this messes up local news and local programming. BBC 2 isn’t affected because it’s just BBC 2 England, Wales, NI and Scotland as opposed to the dozens of local channels.

@Armageus many low bit rate SD channels aren’t controlled by Sky so they have limited push to improve these. Also many older programs would look worse with higher bit Rates!

Don
@Armageus many low bit rate SD channels aren’t controlled by Sky so they have limited push to improve these. Also many older programs would look worse with higher bit Rates!

But where there is a hd (or 4k) version of a channel available, couldn't it default to that. With BBC hd it could just fallback to the SD channel for local broadcasts and then back again for everything else.

Anyways haven't bothered trying Emby as found out it needs a separate EPG unlike Plex - so more cost (e.g. schedules direct etc) and another separate service (and more to go wrong)

Caporegime
But where there is a hd (or 4k) version of a channel available, couldn't it default to that. With BBC hd it could just fallback to the SD channel for local broadcasts and then back again for everything else.

Anyways haven't bothered trying Emby as found out it needs a separate EPG unlike Plex - so more cost (e.g. schedules direct etc) and another separate service (and more to go wrong)
It would involve actually changing channels on the fly. Each local station is broadcast on its own transponder and frequency.

Man of Honour
Probably going to cancel Sky soon as there is nothign I watch anymore. So it's not the future for me. But streaming services such as Neflix, now they are indeed the future.

Soldato
Most of the freesat sd stuff will probably be the exact same media stream,licensed, and being broadcast on terrestrial freeview, freeview bandwidth/channels are more limited than satellite so they could not broadcast a 1080 stream, and, more worryingly maybe a 1080 version of some of the older bbc material has never been mastered ? (old doctor whos, red-dwarf , the billl .....?)

some of the sd stuff can look much better if the mpeg decoder has good mpeg noise reduction (sd looks better directly on panasonic tv than humax, food network sd difference, is massive)

It would be interesting to know viewing figures for some of these obscure sd channels - fewer better quality 1080 streams would make more advertising revenue ? no

But where there is a hd (or 4k) version of a channel available, couldn't it
humax freeview pvrs, will propose hd version of channel (if it exists) when you switch channel or schedule a recording (i assume my old foxsat would do too)

Caporegime
Also there isn’t a UHD channel broadcasting 24/7 at the moment and what broadcasts there are are spread across multiple sports and programs. Don’t have Sky Sports Premier League but do have Sky Sports F1? Or when the F1 and football are on at the same time? The way it is now is the best way.

Back
Top Bottom