This Business and Moment...

Caporegime
Got a meeting with a manager of another team to talk about potential opporunities. He is heading up a new and rather exciting team which sounds right up my street. So may give it another 6 months here and then switch!

Man of Honour
Ha I've seen this as well; company takes so long, thinks they found the one they want and that candidate took another role due to the wait. Companies are idiots.
Here's a recent timeline for me, just been back over my emails to check it :

June 16th - Application sent and auto-response confirms it has been received.
July 1st - Closing date.
July 17th - Interview invite received.
July 30th - Interview - where I was told I would definitely be informed in 5 days whether I was unsuccessful or successful.
August 14th - I sent a polite note asking if there was an update in the recruitment process. This was never replied to.
September 21st (!!) - I receive a decline email from someone who I had not previously corresponded with at the company, telling me that my background is not what they are looking for.

So that's over three months end to end for an unsuccessful application.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ha! Yes, I have had this fairly recently with novartis too when I applied for internal roles. Well over 3 months for a response, which was unsuccessful. I had clearly written it off, but the fact that they take that long in the process must put off so many people in the selection process.

Man of Honour
Bored, bored, bored. I knew it'd be bad going back into BAU support with a little bit of project work. I need to be back on projects full time I think!

Man of Honour
I have a job interview via Skype next week with a company in Austria, for a role as Worldwide CRM coordinator. They are looking for someone who has a level of Salesforce technical knowledge, experience of rollout management & implementation, worked in multiple countries, participated in UAT/BAT, carried out Early Life Support, ongoing adoption support and someone who is a confident trainer. Well that's pretty much exactly what I have spent the last three years doing so let's see how it goes.

I did not meet their minimum qualification stipulations but I "did a Trump" and applied anyway, in the hope that my profile would get their attention.
My girlfriend lives in Austria already and has an apartment which makes that side of things nice and simple, I can just move in with her - but the thought of tying up everything here (mainly what to do with my cars and all my junk!) is a bit overwhelming.

Still, let's not count our chickens - there's a long way to go before I think properly about all that stuff. The company looks great from my research, and the prospect of an £18,000 pay rise is also rather enticing.

Glad I didn't count those chickens - rejected.

Virtually no reason given, just "we have decided not to progress your application" even after asking for feedback. The email was very polite but also to the point and as vague as possible.

The interview went very well as far as I could tell, both on a chemistry level and a work-based level, so I'm not sure what went wrong really.

My guess is it's one or more of the following factors:

• I don't interview as well as I think I do
  • I'm not as good as I think I am
  • It was a token advertisement and they already had an internal candidate in mind
  • Brexit. It was mentioned by them more than once in the interview, and I wonder if the prospect of Brexit affecting my residence in Austria had an impact on the decision

Soldato
Glad I didn't count those chickens - rejected.

Virtually no reason given, just "we have decided not to progress your application" even after asking for feedback. The email was very polite but also to the point and as vague as possible.

The interview went very well as far as I could tell, both on a chemistry level and a work-based level, so I'm not sure what went wrong really.

My guess is it's one or more of the following factors:

• I don't interview as well as I think I do
  • I'm not as good as I think I am
  • It was a token advertisement and they already had an internal candidate in mind
  • Brexit. It was mentioned by them more than once in the interview, and I wonder if the prospect of Brexit affecting my residence in Austria had an impact on the decision

Crap when that happens. Had two Skype interviews last week with one company in Munich, the 2nd interview with them was for 1hr 30mins. Then yesterday got the email to say I wouldn't be invited for the 3rd interview as they found better candidates. I didn't bother asking for feedback because I know what was wrong, they wanted someone with scripting knowledge in Python and I had never seen Python coding in my life. Scripting was only mentioned at the end of one line in the job description compared to rest of the requirements which was a long list and I didn't know it was Python scripting till the 1st first interview. Oh well, on to the next one!

Man of Honour
I've been a victim of that sort of thing too.

Apply for job that makes no mention of coding
First question "Can you write Apex code?"
"Err no, I'm not really a developer"
"Ah, we need someone who can code"

THEN PUT IT IN THE JOB DESCRIPTION!

Man of Honour

Quite often it's the recruiters as well. I've had it this week, I've effectively been shunned for a job because the recruiter doesn't understand the technology. They've gone into ignoring phone calls and emails mode and have apparently sent my CV through to the client. Yeah right! Asshats.

Soldato

Yes, that's annoying.

Had another two Skype interviews for a role in Geneva and another in Munich a few weeks back. Still yet to hear from them since the interviews so I might aswell write those off too.

Caporegime
Got a meeting with a manager of another team to talk about potential opporunities. He is heading up a new and rather exciting team which sounds right up my street. So may give it another 6 months here and then switch!
Following on from this. Had the meeting with said manager, explained why I'm looking for change and he was very understanding. He offered me a technical assessment by one of their senior engineers to see where I am and what's missing from a technical perspective. So if I do want to apply, I can study to become a more viable candidate in the meantime.

Also had a chat with someone from that team, and the work sounds awesome. Almost like a consultation role :) very very interested. Right now they're going through massive growth, and I am cautiously keeping an eye on how they handle rapid growth in a short time space. Then if all is well, I'll stick an application in early 2019 :)

Permabanned
Here's a recent timeline for me, just been back over my emails to check it :

June 16th - Application sent and auto-response confirms it has been received.
July 1st - Closing date.
July 17th - Interview invite received.
July 30th - Interview - where I was told I would definitely be informed in 5 days whether I was unsuccessful or successful.
August 14th - I sent a polite note asking if there was an update in the recruitment process. This was never replied to.
September 21st (!!) - I receive a decline email from someone who I had not previously corresponded with at the company, telling me that my background is not what they are looking for.

So that's over three months end to end for an unsuccessful application.

Don't ever wait for a job. Let the jobs come too you once you put the applications in and interview process! Apply and don't stop till you get that word accepted. Don't even wait for the company to reply just get out there and keep searching.

Back
Top Bottom