This Business and Moment...

Soldato
Thought IR35 was universal?

The rules themselves haven't changed, it's who has to apply them. Currently public sector entities themselves have to assess whether the rules apply, whereas in the private sector it's the intermediary company that makes the assessment.

Man of Honour
Bored, bored, bored. I knew it'd be bad going back into BAU support with a little bit of project work. I need to be back on projects full time I think!
Just had an interview for a VMware/Microsoft design & build role on a project, £50 more a day, 40 minute versus 75 minute commute each way and much more interesting work. The interviewer pretty much said the role is mine on the phone, just a few admin points to tie down. Happy!

Commissario
Just had an interview for a VMware/Microsoft design & build role on a project, £50 more a day, 40 minute versus 75 minute commute each way and much more interesting work. The interviewer pretty much said the role is mine on the phone, just a few admin points to tie down. Happy!
Win win all round by the sounds of it, congrats :)

Commissario
Cheers @Maccy! I just hope that the role is as busy as what they say as I easily get bored.
Sadly I'm in that situation at the moment - was hoping coming back to the UK and working for the government would keep me busy but in reality I've not done much for the past couple of weeks except chill and bill!

Man of Honour
Sadly I'm in that situation at the moment - was hoping coming back to the UK and working for the government would keep me busy but in reality I've not done much for the past couple of weeks except chill and bill!
That's pretty much what I'm doing. I'd just finished a very interesting project with an insurance client when they ran out of money, so I was without work for a bit. The client I first started contracting with asked if I wanted to go back so I agreed but it's BAU and very quiet. Keep calm and keep on billing has kept me going for 5 months!

Caporegime
Still nothing from my interview, also nout after asking the recruiter, so I won't be using them again.

Deadline for another job is tomorrow, so hopefully I get contacted sooner rather than later, as I'm also waiting for another job to get back to me after an interview this week...

My predicament atm is, the interview I had this week is for an insurance firm, completely new industry/role, the money is less than I'm earning now. The new job I applied for is potentially a lot more (for me) than I earn now, so if push comes to shove and I get offered both I'll need to decide if I want a new career or just more money atm as we'd love to get our own place, but just can't afford to at our current wages :/

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Just started my hunt now I have completed all my ACCA exams.

I think where I currently am (manufacturing) they want me to take the Financial Controller position in the next couple of years, but I really don't think manufacturing is for me so feels a bit pointless staying. I just need to try and decide what I want to do and what path I want to go down, decisions decisions.

Soldato
I'm not in a position of leadership at my work, but the team I work with (10 people including me and my line manager) basically all come to me for guidance and assistance with their roles and daily activities (bar a couple of individuals). Yes, even the line manager told me he basically makes all/most of his decisions based on what I say and advise. Two individuals I basically head up and monitor all of their work, and they never approach the manager. However, we've had a new member of staff start within the last 6 weeks and, again, they bring everything to me and we work together on their workload. This particular member of staff approached our manager, in confidence, and asked who they actually report to as it seems to be this person (me). This staff member told me this in confidence a few days later, and apparently the manager effectively said "Why would you think that? I'm your line manager, you report to me, not (wingman)".

I've been told by our line manager that I am the "number 2" (hate that phrase, but whatever), and effectively when he's not around I'm the one running the team (and this has been the case for three years). But he's never explicitly said that to anyone, and I've noticed others have brought it up in the past, because they don't like approaching him and would rather come to me, that he's always been a bit coy about it.

What I'm asking, once I finally manage to get round to saying it, is, am I being mugged off here? Effectively being expected to serve as a team leader/assistant manager, but with none of the recognition and benefits? I appreciate this happens basically everywhere, but just wanted to run a sense check via you guys.

Edit:

I should also mention I am responsible for keeping those two employees busy and providing them with work.

Just started my hunt now I have completed all my ACCA exams.

I think where I currently am (manufacturing) they want me to take the Financial Controller position in the next couple of years, but I really don't think manufacturing is for me so feels a bit pointless staying. I just need to try and decide what I want to do and what path I want to go down, decisions decisions.

Congratulations on finishing ACCA. I've just got the final papers to take now, any tips on which options to go for? Did you do the SBR and SBL? I'd like to get them all finished off in 2019.

Last edited:

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Congratulations on finishing ACCA. I've just got the final papers to take now, any tips on which options to go for? Did you do the SBR and SBL? I'd like to get them all finished off in 2019.

Cheers, it's a great feeling, these PER write ups are no fun though!

I did P1 and P3 (so Governance, Ethics etc and Business Analysis) before they merged, I also did the old P2 but as far as I'm aware there isn't much difference (if any) of P2 and SBR? Options wise I did Advanced Performance Management and Advanced Tax, I found APM a lot like P3 and found it okay, but a lot of people seem to hate it and fail it multiple times.

If you did the F level papers I'd recommend going with the advanced options of whichever you found easiest or most fun, I chose Advanced Tax as I thought it'd be the most useful in a career but it was a complete pig!

Hope I've not discouraged you too much, but keep at it :D

P.S I found www.acowtancy.com a lot better than the likes of BPP for lecturing.

Soldato

I'd echo doing the ones you think you'll enjoy/benefit from the most. I did the Advanced Tax and Advanced Performance Management (i think!). P5 and P6 from memory.

Soldato
So after being rejected from the two IT roles I interviewed for Munich 2 weeks ago, I had another 4 phone interviews last week. 2 for the same company.

One was for a IT role in Düsseldorf, I got the times wrong, I was called an 1 hour earlier than expected. So I was completely unprepared, 30mins of questions I didn't have the answers to as I didn't have time to print my paper work off. Might aswell right off that interview as not successful.

2 interviews for a role I originally applied for in Germany but they want me to go for the same role in Ireland. I dont see the point moving from England from Ireland as that's not going to help me learn a 2nd language. But I see what happens if I get called up for an 3rd interview.

Applied for an Technical IT Manager role in Switzerland, had a phone interview last week. The lady was impressed with my CV. Got the confirmation she had forwarded my CV and certs to her bosses and will be in touch for another interview. Got a phone call this morning from them, me thinking if they are calling me then it must be good news. Same lady was on the phone, very apologetic. She tried to convince her bosses otherwise but they said they dont want to continue with my application because they feel I am over qualified for the role, I will get bored after a few months and leave :(

Over 2 years I spent self studying for my MCSA's and MCSE. For that to come back and bite me on the arse.....I am so annoyed :mad::(

Man of Honour
I can sympathise - I appear to be veering from overqualified to underqualified and back and forth for jobs which, on paper, are borderline identical.

Keep chipping away, law of averages and all that.

Soldato
Do you have any new training/qualifications since we last spoke about this?

Have you got a cleared idea of anything you want to aim for?

Back
Top Bottom