Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
@baloney @Atom80 Hello. I've found this thread through google and noticed you guys replying so I've thought I'd try my luck here:
For some time now I've been having a BSOD issue with my x5v7. I get occasional stutters in games, and sometimes during one of these stutters the laptop crashes with a BSOD (DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION). This issue persists through Windows reinstalls. I've made sure to have the windows driver verifier disabled, and all the drivers on the system are the latest versions from the drivers update utility. I've contacted Aorus Support through the website, but they haven't been helpful.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Hi [USER=207460]@PandaMadness
- Sorry to hear of your problem, we have spoken to R&D this morning,,,, can you please confirm;

1) - are there certain games this is happening with?

2) - have you installed any driver not from our Smart update utility?

3) - are you using any Peripheral devices like KB or mouse, and installed the drivers for those devices?

4) - Could you provide us the screen capture of Driver Update utility?

Please post answers and image, and we will endeavor to solve your problem.

Regards,

Team AORUS[/USER]

Associate
@Atom80 Thank you for the response!
1. I've had issues with the following games: Fallout 4, Metro: Last Light Redux, Metro 2033 Redux, Rise of the Tombraider, Dota 2. Games that I've NOT had issues with: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Mad Max. It's worth noting that the issue only happens in games, I've tried stress testing my machine on both the CPU and GPU (both separately and at the same time), but have not been able to force a crash (ran Furmark and Intel XTU's CPU stress test).
2. I've had the latest NVIDIA driver installed before, I've since then replaced it with the one from Drivers Update. Other than that the machine is a clean install, with only a couple of games and the Aorus utilities.
3. I am using an external KB, mouse, and a display via HDMI, though I've not installed any special drivers for them, they are as generic as peripherals go.
4. https://imgur.com/a/qCvinar

Here are some of the things I've been able to observe:
1. Crash dump files don't always get generated, sometimes the machine restarts at 20% of the BSOD.
2. I tried diagnosing the machine with Window's Driver verifier, but the farthest I could get to was a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION pointing to hal.dll, which is not very helpful.
3. This might be anecdotal, but I seem to get less crashes if I disable G-Sync in the nvidia panel, even though I play on a non G Sync display.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
1. I've had issues with the following games: Fallout 4, Metro: Last Light Redux, Metro 2033 Redux, Rise of the Tombraider, Dota 2. Games that I've NOT had issues with: Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Mad Max. It's worth noting that the issue only happens in games, I've tried stress testing my machine on both the CPU and GPU (both separately and at the same time), but have not been able to force a crash (ran Furmark and Intel XTU's CPU stress test).
2. I've had the latest NVIDIA driver installed before, I've since then replaced it with the one from Drivers Update. Other than that the machine is a clean install, with only a couple of games and the Aorus utilities.
3. I am using an external KB, mouse, and a display via HDMI, though I've not installed any special drivers for them, they are as generic as peripherals go.

1. Crash dump files don't always get generated, sometimes the machine restarts at 20% of the BSOD.
2. I tried diagnosing the machine with Window's Driver verifier, but the farthest I could get to was a DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION pointing to hal.dll, which is not very helpful.
3. This might be anecdotal, but I seem to get less crashes if I disable G-Sync in the nvidia panel, even though I play on a non G Sync display.

Hi @PandaMadness - sorry for the delay, we missed your reply. Has been forwarded to Tech team, hopefully hear back on Monday.

Apologies again.

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Hi again @PandaMadness - Our R&D department have run tests overnight, on the Game titles you mention, and cannot replicate the fault.

They are using exact same machine version, but with the "environment" as it would have been shipped, only Windows update hotfixes installed( and drivers updated accordingly)

So - have you made a System Recovery Disk? If so, can you boot from that and use original image?

If not, our advice would be to send into our service centre for deeper analysis and fault resolution.

Let us know,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi. After my x5 v7 was with mendit for nearly 2 months it finally came back yesterday with a new motherboard installed. I received my laptop back yesterday afternoon. It was all working great, so I set about reinstalling windows and updating all of the drivers etc. through the Aorus driver update software, everything was fine until I updated the bios and now the computer will not boot. It powers on and I get lights on the keyboard and the fans turn on but I don't get the bios splash screen. I have left it for several hours and there is no change to the status. Can you please advise me if there is anything I can do with it to fix the issue?

This is getting so frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
So, my £2500 door stop is back off to mendit again. Seems a very high price to pay for a machine that i haven't been able to use properly since June :(

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
So, my £2500 door stop is back off to mendit again. Seems a very high price to pay for a machine that i haven't been able to use properly since June :(
Hi. After my x5 v7 was with mendit for nearly 2 months it finally came back yesterday with a new motherboard installed. I received my laptop back yesterday afternoon. It was all working great, so I set about reinstalling windows and updating all of the drivers etc. through the Aorus driver update software, everything was fine until I updated the bios and now the computer will not boot. It powers on and I get lights on the keyboard and the fans turn on but I don't get the bios splash screen. I have left it for several hours and there is no change to the status. Can you please advise me if there is anything I can do with it to fix the issue?

This is getting so frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Listy77 - Can we ask, if the machine was working when received back from the service centre (and should have had updates done in line with our HQ guidance) - why you needed to re-install Windows?

Regards,

Team AORUS

PS - sorry we missed your initial post on the 4th Oct.

Associate
Hi, @Atom80. Yes of course.

I had reset the laptop to factory settings using the F9/Bios function several times when I first encountered the BSOD issue. I then set up windows as normal and updated all of the drivers to test everything again to see if this would fix the fault. When I had to send it to mendit I removed my windows account and set up a new user account with the password disabled so that it could be accessed by the mendit engineer. They warned that if they couldn't access the computer then they would not be able to guarantee their work. When the unit came back it was working just fine but the piece of paper that i had written the new user account password down on had since gone missing so I couldn't remove the new account and re-add my original windows account without resetting windows again. Which this time I couldn't do using the F9/Bios function as it had ceased to work. So I reset it using the normal windows reset method and loaded the Aorus drivers and programs from the USB stick that came with the unit. All was working fine until I updated the drivers for the bios to the recommended version in the driver update app and now here I am.

I don't mean to lose my temper but this whole situation is so frustrating... The mendit tech says he thinks it is going to need another motherboard so I'm guessing that will be another 6 weeks and today I have not received any instruction as to what to do next.

Thanks for your reply though, it's nice to know I am not just screaming into the void :)

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

I had reset the laptop to factory settings using the F9/Bios function several times when I first encountered the BSOD issue. I then set up windows as normal and updated all of the drivers to test everything again to see if this would fix the fault. When I had to send it to mendit I removed my windows account and set up a new user account with the password disabled so that it could be accessed by the mendit engineer. They warned that if they couldn't access the computer then they would not be able to guarantee their work. When the unit came back it was working just fine but the piece of paper that i had written the new user account password down on had since gone missing so I couldn't remove the new account and re-add my original windows account without resetting windows again. Which this time I couldn't do using the F9/Bios function as it had ceased to work. So I reset it using the normal windows reset method and loaded the Aorus drivers and programs from the USB stick that came with the unit. All was working fine until I updated the drivers for the bios to the recommended version in the driver update app and now here I am.

I don't mean to lose my temper but this whole situation is so frustrating... The mendit tech says he thinks it is going to need another motherboard so I'm guessing that will be another 6 weeks and today I have not received any instruction as to what to do next.

Thanks for your reply though, it's nice to know I am not just screaming into the void :)

Hi @Listy77 - OK clear.

Are you in contact with Mendit now? Shouldn't be such a long turnaround time for motherboard switch (if that's what's required).

Do you have you last Mendit repair reference number, and we will try and get R&D to look at this from behind the scenes and see if they can add anymore insight.

Let us know,

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

HI @Listy77 - can we also ask, have you installed any additional RAM modules?

As you know, its not a warranty voiding situation with us, but our R&D sight RAM modules (mixed brands) or maybe not seated correctly as being a possible reason for the boot failure.

If you haven't, its certainly not that. If you have, since receiving unit back (some customers do remove additional hardware that they have installed if they return devices for service), then it maybe worth removing and re-seating to see if that cures it.

Awaiting you reply. You can also TRUST message us.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

OK - further to the information above - R&D have suggested that the RAM initialization process may fail for a number of reason, so they do advise to remove and re-install it, irrespective of whether you have added more yourself.

However, if you haven't opened the chassis in the past, and do not feel confident to do this yourself, you could take to local independent computer shop and ask for "help", or of course it can come back to Menidt to do it, and if not successful would probably mean a new motherboard required.

Let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Last edited:
Associate
OK - further to the information above - R&D have suggested that the RAM initialization process may fail for a number of reason, so they do advise to remove and re-install it, irrespective of whether you have added more yourself.

However, if you haven't opened the chassis in the past, and do not feel confident to do this yourself, you could take to local independent computer shop and ask for "help", or of course it can come back to Menidt to do it, and if not successful would probably mean a new motherboard required.

Let us know your thoughts.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Hi @Atom80, thank you for following this up on your end.

I sent the unit back to Mendit yesterday (Repair ID 67238) Fingers crossed it is just a case of re-seating the RAM then, the Mendit tech suggested this as well, although I have not added any extra RAM as I wasn't sure exactly what is installed on the other side of the motherboard and didn't want to remove it to find out. I am very worried about the reliability of the laptop as I am entering the last year of the warranty. If it isn't the RAM it will have already gone through 2 motherboards...

I will let you know when I get a diagnosis.

Kind regards

Listy

Associate
Hi Aorus/Gigabyte team,

I want to know if you guys had any insight into why the design decision was made to limit the X5 MD's 1080 max q to the core clocks of 1227/1366 instead of using the allowed 1290/1468 of the max-q 1080? Your chassis design can cool a 1070 with a TGP of about 115w just fine. A full max-q 1080 has a TGP of 110w, still below the 1070, so why hold our laptops back? I like everything about my X5 MD, but this design choice disappoints me and probably many other owners. Can this ever be corrected in a bios update?

Soldato
Hi Aorus/Gigabyte team,

I want to know if you guys had any insight into why the design decision was made to limit the X5 MD's 1080 max q to the core clocks of 1227/1366 instead of using the allowed 1290/1468 of the max-q 1080? Your chassis design can cool a 1070 with a TGP of about 115w just fine. A full max-q 1080 has a TGP of 110w, still below the 1070, so why hold our laptops back? I like everything about my X5 MD, but this design choice disappoints me and probably many other owners. Can this ever be corrected in a bios update?

from my experience with Aorus laptops, it's probably because all the heat pipes are shared between cpu and gpu. The CPUS already run crazy hot out of the box without liquid metal. So limiting what the gpu can do will subsequently result in lower cpu temperatures stopping it from throttling as much.

EDIT : along with that my battery was never capable of powering my 1070 version (X5V6) it had loads of power issues so run at a very stutter ridden 20-40fps on games i could get 100+ fps when plugged in.

I would suggest you see if that is still an issue on your machine as i bet they have saved some power headroom by doing this also.

Associate
from my experience with Aorus laptops, it's probably because all the heat pipes are shared between cpu and gpu. The CPUS already run crazy hot out of the box without liquid metal. So limiting what the gpu can do will subsequently result in lower cpu temperatures stopping it from throttling as much.

EDIT : along with that my battery was never capable of powering my 1070 version (X5V6) it had loads of power issues so run at a very stutter ridden 20-40fps on games i could get 100+ fps when plugged in.

I would suggest you see if that is still an issue on your machine as i bet they have saved some power headroom by doing this also.

Thanks for the feedback, I haven't really tried to game on the battery, but I believe this may always be a limitation. At stock clocks my CPU runs in the 70s-80s and GPU is low to mid 70s which is fine for me. I think Aorus made some thermal upgrades to the X5v7 and MD chassis after the V6.

I generally trust this guy's reviews and I don't know if he had a pre-production model, but the graphics scores he got are not what we are getting in the consumer model. I bought the X5 MD believing I would see similar performance, but something seems to have changed between when he had it, and when it was released. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIc6v4C0_-w

Associate
@Atom80 or anyone who can help :D

Hi
I have a quick question about replacing the OS hdd in my X7 DT V8. Im thinking either to clone the drive with the new drives software or a fresh install on the new drive. What im wondering is how do i go about doing a fresh install?

My current thinking is I install windows from a usb drive(created through the microsoft site) then download the "GIGABYTE System Recovery Fix Tool" to bring it to the same state as out of the box, is this right? Or can you shed any more light on it thanks.

Associate
@FrostFox you can use aorus system backup, which should already be installed on your system to create a windows install onto an external drive big enough to hold it.
and use that to reinstall the machine back to factory default after installing the new drive.

do note, that system backup wont backup any of your personal files so make sure you manually backup anything you dont want to lose before doing it.

Associate
@FrostFox you can use aorus system backup, which should already be installed on your system to create a windows install onto an external drive big enough to hold it.
and use that to reinstall the machine back to factory default after installing the new drive.

do note, that system backup wont backup any of your personal files so make sure you manually backup anything you dont want to lose before doing it.

Thx , I cant seem to get the Aorus backup tool to see an external drive, from what ive read as well the win 10 system image doesnt work as well anymore as its not maintained. So im looking at either maybe a possible clone/system image software alternative or going for a clean install but im weary about getting the aorus software on a clean install.

Associate
Hi, Iʼm trying to find what can be the issue with my temps on my Aorus X5 V7 while undervolting both CPU & GPU. Nothing seems to work even with everything set to low graphics...

Does anyone have an idea on what I should try else?

I didnʼt repaste with LM yet as I should get better result before... My laptop is on a big egg box so airflow is even better than just on the legs provided.

XTU is 6.4.1.15 as latest update doesnʼt install (crashing the program while installing)

Iʼm getting 95° with those setting, I completely lost...

Here are my settings including temps:

nwm0AK842UWMOMKpoT4LW3vD0GdS1QLhUJ4tcIzvZsbK0VNLe2KXs6kFK4g1ty0rjUzs7PBhBDpht1Hg_gN6opiPQQIWjkTgbynsr5F7iP6RjsV80jTwcBviTXxWih_IqyPg5AyQo9I2DpumAg1WevUbgfxUPMSpyDAKRMavqx2w0k7KmNmS6R87bTDsArqj92cCqRbfN5SHDi5rDQFEUDd4aWMo2fWQ4L2BIJuQy8tX5aAcWcJTLriq7b86LU8CNufa7Wfj1g9s5Bgb2oXCVo8pYSh-c7VjIVP8jcToWmyBd7HDYxUQl8Suz1sR3eAaVGxMVXop7M3dgHxJ-fiaT15aZSjiln5kxyZhOiNH-wWmUgrRrKbpOOKGEQDyeD0J0mcXAF7seyfAoBuxAJk3JyCYmiOBt-Cx8mqTKBW44zyCG4tHOvPHwqvrnDfk130czEEj4Wh64CcvPinZ2Ez1AmTXKcBtAJUExYRqWKR-X7_wvRMwywBct3CwwYq-AFpveF6rPZSxQghs2UpV5KceznrQAx9oAt9UCtpMQyS_TVvS5Nf548gbA_frZEvZNSGYE6yqkPLzbgS6WQoN8zjybuYxOgOzjjv2TF_eg2ETKJt1mvDUZizfclaTvQkXnsfcUXnKydkeByOIGfqJ1iGb3NzD=w1572-h884-no

UfQxn1OEkF5FjpxTawZgL2EoWxULYETxxBTa2CfEMYrXT7xaIEi5gMTMENX131bEdUt6-tILsgYRcM-TD7KjEO1dE9zMUXW4NASTzsQTIgK1zwMjEadJT4SP0GJbXGYKDVvRvVyv2Memq2Isxw33u4yfH5VbPPgk_qRZc__9d7CMfpoQCsL59_aj7bUWIU-y3iSAOS1t8dVXnjgHka9bFlbdOLKT_7NtyP3kpBCneB2av-IqxPFYjYBq44ZifWj5ggEgwb2MTkJpO4Go8M7EkTCgPCGKTpPwYgrHFieGzGd22f5fqmqCAB7X9wjZsrRWzYS4wUs4MKHT2cYMXG7gedLVF0WjL2ly9qgll6J_YG-A-Pmm10YhXwdMgrnXRzVAVixBVYj5NfZzpDuz44jiBnYK2ZGfonStX_CGRISZoTv3HuY_Lgu7W3iUmZDHyyhPLMOJ4sOU4y7qPBWpF9ANN95tt5aCGzQHBIFil41_qERWBKNFjZN4WavdB5Z6Ni6MMlQ83zTkf2lIAf1NCWUwnCLrCU9J8Tpo93Wc5LqafWQ54w2P7cJGWCCiCbMqOXmAzDsA6WB1Xd_tIqFcxZQ4ScLAtLG_6BYVd-p79a4CwyYBWCvPFOLew_ht1GedMLpF-KhfOGlASjQiL3_PeyOSzfRp=w1801-h592-no

FH-6Tc1fHIlhuXTF4k1zcRkHbrdfcjEx2-LhWKNSUEm3JUtXcSsoJoyiu9feavArruB_HbjOpVHmXADshkCTsn2KagNK52ael-Op0pksO2uhbxSOaxNKKgSb6kuC9zkXLgc0wJWPIAb6SaQ67SYUwPHl9d8XddeONITzDFQciZrGDRVrBXqyDT_mshIq12-hMq_voFtWo6iUsr1tnzgSk_QCF-chY66DgqB5x-6xQe2TJEexAfbLEaeNJ9gmpuXW3h5JSUcWgmlGhNm_41P4zRE0a95igdhUFtvgc9kd9diq9JUZ_upQFYuAioBQKeMM5iGZNiNkZKleGxmhKnDZgKEfXg1Yhy-owl05Cw-7gef-8KrJWInkevJRc_WVvgXzNeZmFbb8cKIWQfi54eXjcLgzyAOoL8SxKuktzcmMZKlmSxtOZaaBxgoP6Z3LzSEpoQCRJghX_hIc2IostcYlXDfhyw3yHQvkZCzL93_Fc68ZHpx4GIg6rRXA1IEUWest8Tf8RdbVUeHibIQJ7rpyD5Ui2najSjX7wSgheTuuD0NmE9p3cND759k4Labis2ED4ZLlEKuStqM2BAhR-aW3V-5xhiVpds93aMCnroBhtURKtnBOm31_WuuvuLjEv3H85kvt4pry5CI43BQu7837a7JJ=w678-h884-no
mfuvGAuTCjlqHreDS-LIQu-iXuCIoW3c-GE6sNH1aV82HEcupgrsQBzyTZ9D7wJ2gXbYxqTn9QypApvOsJP9DQvCKfmHEaP9DX2yiRS51Z1XqVBfeeN_Wmrb80G9VXMPcE9Xkk5zZYgprvmNh-Gj8sbvS2KUbCLSPCfJkcntjGU8PiiKo7FP7qT8fDVgENdbyDQbwVLfQseIe63_sSWUB784gL_a62KcermVz0F3V6yVLhR_5aIzIhJhPwDNEZjHryjc88EcQqwmxwr4IG_9cBrPqGapW23EhlzV3E6OmAJ_hbrzqHZOXAzVJr6_fZdDOJleUcBr9yxnuHKvKDmZT1Vb4cZjfI8g90gQdshAV4hLb6p96LWs2FZD1j3huZOHrKt89BfcbX3x55ckW5hd5qtVSxHTdOrk1eqeMRQ1XgkrdW78bTgnKfhMbdts7PyrkUcI_dzBz-DzM4aHc4m3RWI7XPVmwcqUn0pla3SWyDGkvz0hqR8GGFgihOGgISW9uLMDmwRvOMYO-5ECfQcDoUyMfAqE4cFLsOIZNhjE7WgbW2kubZd1_0ulGX-8b4RfjV3KYivlZgN2c7uJktzb4NppBo-vH2bi38myh3Mfq3Gf7M1ZbPM8W1zFTajnpBY-KNR79EXK-OJXfTQmB3KNjaHd=w740-h647-no

Rmwl0lhKbqray1Cwyw0YZz1qPxKYqhD2EutTR8DrroajPbKJe_EBswAUQtkaVTTmgFWloV0o05dH2dljPpeCQnyR-WnV_17s4rCJfInOZs-tM-fAHx8eEMjmfTBHJ2YB0A2nTmmynPLR0pY7r0ZMlTyR_ttyvzONZit_yEagJgHTld5QtQFGesykbLUpLdnolwweheUNZnh58_fmweXTnxdBmr0tSPGZRKQPA_9azoaPIFXMQPnm1JfexmF-R4H-xe8-K1tSvcAQiR-IhTy96efC-cL-T7rp4wcHyj-IZDGsrztCgXPqsBNrqZKe94w5mkH9UEXgpz3SwF3Nh0z3dyiQaDOiJGgbNGxDqAImMfmETX-jIn-GYh2ujmcm9a8a8-m1PIcIWKW1U1UEiNTo77H8GLGMIa1GgrkBs1F1tGOsOXz-czDRvZQQrhGCzwVgJ-QVKw62_kRgGglpsMjHpSOJtiX184aJmtFhwaX34bBKFiW8xzfTsrLPLkgk1-B3e8e_2uD9adjbpZmPHaTwi8qQsljdqA8U4pSHXNU92PLvlVOiLOGGjcE7HgFDyZaA1sZvG_94T4dzV2r79Oo-w0IvdA61RTpStmTD1iOhs_3RA3IkhImujT-nGvftDAkv8Xn5lrXgMpqeVUCDTlz3TYr0=w732-h562-no

XBSxWKn2t8sWbbUKrCfs7MyNPyU8XlsRg906YWVdemlUahUz-Mwm5w0I-B7o28JtNgfWguVt2J6uirTi2pWrTAaBQeRxr8aYIOQH31ssJFCoosaSrixiZbhPV3avchJTW8ehU60Ce34YqWbLpXhUIGCb38x8LA8GXMK7Lhp5n2MMpz9rtg7TwQsbuE5aQU7Kg2D9eBSQsiuN7TTt2vimYRNBs31Idhj4ADUBIOq94n8LTy1QNcuVnSxqHj6NKIQjD4AcU7CUoI3R-0Vb4TKLpOaWxkvehKusi_aP-tHuaXcA6LhvrEtfpS2naODmWCyJ_I4gXFUhihcMxqZ5-d3Xd5I9QETxVEgFvZaAL3OVUpaS4Hp3jiEDvNVx9RF3L6DzPuVlHvWEYxpypVhM7OKPPK43qRcYVb4jVswe1YftoOkt7BdCEaSG7xxkPPFn2zVL9_Ynw4rwoSHgbmBgc4C6isBwLTLfYRpe87sBdIqYdzz5kuomuWfDSM670hPfLkZcU6liBYv2-eEwECX08g7JGUxMo-EJDm4zSatkOgdniKKxS2EHYNrwZ8EdKA1DKRtCv-Q9-QzeYbc4ch9r-Q1O6uM0gaDXHLpDyqF0EuYiY6X70xl23Dmv2agGR9a9e-NkLM2YP0I5hg2nFwl0Tskgjs6I=w1572-h884-no

Please help... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom