• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
Perhaps read the post I quoted in agreement to then as that is not what I was saying.

Well I read it as you saying prices are cheap but when you add import duty etc it usually levels out, as in you thought it did with tax but in this case it does not just letting you know ;).

Soldato
Yeah LMAO, arguing gets boring. This is much more fun.
Be honest Gavin, even you can't defend this utter tosh from Intel, even in your wildest Intel fantasy land wet dreams this launch is an atrocity.

I bet your keeping a low profile so you don't get called out on all the Intel bs you spout lol ;)

On a serious note though, are you upgrading to the latest and greatest Intel offering? I am guessing not, as I don't expect it to even best your 8700k in any meaningful manner

Associate
Be honest Gavin, even you can't defend this utter tosh from Intel, even in your wildest Intel fantasy land wet dreams this launch is an atrocity.

I bet your keeping a low profile so you don't get called out on all the Intel bs you spout lol ;)

On a serious note though, are you upgrading to the latest and greatest Intel offering? I am guessing not, as I don't expect it to even best your 8700k in any meaningful manner

I have been intel for the past 20 years (probably even longer actually, maybe 25), and I really like their features (optane, iGPU, IPC, higher clocks etc), if the price points were the same I'd go intel, if the price was 100 to 150 more I'd go intel - but at 600 I am really struggling to think of any reason to go intel... I'm actually now looking seriously at an AMD system for the first time since I can even remember.

Soldato
I have been intel for the past 20 years, and I really like their features (optane, iGPU, IPC, higher clocks etc), if the price points were the same I'd go intel, if the price was 100 to 150 more I'd go intel - but at 600 I am really struggling to think of any reason to go intel... I'm actually now looking seriously at an AMD system for the first time since I can even remember.

Likewise. Even if AMD is a little behind, it's not by enough to warrant the price difference.

Soldato
I have been intel for the past 20 years, and I really like their features (optane, iGPU, IPC, higher clocks etc), if the price points were the same I'd go intel, if the price was 100 to 150 more I'd go intel - but at 600 I am really struggling to think of any reason to go intel... I'm actually now looking seriously at an AMD system for the first time since I can even remember.

Lol you been saying this the past few days but it sounds like your waiting for someone else to make the decision for you!

Either buy Intel now, buy AMD now or keep what you have until the price of a product you must absolutely have comes along.

There is no right or wrong decision that you can get from others, the decision must come from you. Just weigh up all the pros and cons and decide.

It's a bit lame but I will often write down all the pros and cons on a bit of paper, watch a load of reviews and then make a decision, if the pros outweigh the cons that's normally enough. The trick is how much you value each pro and con though.

Associate
Lol you been saying this the past few days but it sounds like your waiting for someone else to make the decision for you!

Either buy Intel now, buy AMD now or keep what you have until the price of a product you must absolutely have comes along.

There is no right or wrong decision that you can get from others, the decision must come from you. Just weigh up all the pros and cons and decide.

It's a bit lame but I will often write down all the pros and cons on a bit of paper, watch a load of reviews and then make a decision, if the pros outweigh the cons that's normally enough. The trick is how much you value each pro and con though.

I'm not waiting for someone else to decide, I'm basically just chatting it out on forums, so I don't just rush into something like most people would do to buy something on day 1 - i'm interested, and i'm weighing it up in my own mind on what I want... The options really are wait a bit longer, spend a ridiculous amount of money on intel, or spend a lot less on AMD - I can't currently figure out in my head if AMD is fully what I want, but it is a serious consideration... I am happy to wait on reviews, I am happy to see where the market goes, or to see what others say.... patience for me is fine, I am typing from a fully working computer right now that games just fine, so I have no need to rush into something. That doesn't mean I won't speak my mind about my shock on intel prices.

Associate
£599.99 is $788 that's $300 above msrp. I was ready cash in hand as soon as I saw some good benchmarks. Now I'm sticking with 4970k until I see something of good value

Associate
I wanted to do some upgrades this year, just for fun...nvidia...too pricey ( was willing to pay £900 tops for ti), when this didn't work out I thought about playing with Intel ( was willing £600 with mobo)... I guess times when I could upgrade to top parts are gone for me :/ I'll wait for ryzen3 but this is still min. 6 months of waiting. It's good that I could change my case, this gave me some satisfaction.

Soldato
I've been looking to upgrade my 4790k to something more modern, but Intel are having a laugh with these prices. For the first time since I had a AMD Athlon 64 I'm now actively considering going to AMD for my next build.

Associate
Also, one of the best prices not now available to pre order, started as low as $499, missed that!

To be honest I was going to pull the trigger on a 8700k but even at 370 I really can't be bothered anymore. Think I've finally lost me patience with getting ripped off by manufacturers and retailers.
Think it's time for to let some muppet pay these silly prices and I'm going 2nd hand.

Soldato
why not go for an 8xxx series cpu?
I have been intel for the past 20 years (probably even longer actually, maybe 25), and I really like their features (optane, iGPU, IPC, higher clocks etc), if the price points were the same I'd go intel, if the price was 100 to 150 more I'd go intel - but at 600 I am really struggling to think of any reason to go intel... I'm actually now looking seriously at an AMD system for the first time since I can even remember.

Soldato
To be honest I was going to pull the trigger on a 8700k but even at 370 I really can't be bothered anymore. Think I've finally lost me patience with getting ripped off by manufacturers and retailers.
Think it's time for to let some muppet pay these silly prices and I'm going 2nd hand.
Where is an 8700k available for 370?? :)

Soldato
Ok for anyone who is interested - obviously I have no clue what the retailers actually buy for - but through my work contacts and suppliers of retailers I have access to, they said they would sell it to a retailer for £441 ex. So that's still higher than the US cost once you add VAT - I've also been told that the 600 pre-order price in most cases is a best guess for them not to lose any money on the pre-order due to intel having production issues which they are just throwing money at to try and solve.

Edit: this is for i9 9900k pricing.

There is no special factory for UK retailers, supply issues is the same globally.

Also are you trying to say that they dont even know what they buying the parts for yet?, That to me is not a way to do business, there would be some inclination from intel what purchase cost is else pre orders could not be taken without knowing your own costs.

Sorry its just gouging. There is a way to hide it more effectively which is to at least not gouge to the point that someone could buy from an american retailer and then undercut the UK market using american retailers as wholesalers. I could buy chips from america and sell them for £550 and be making a profit, whilst undercutting the retailers here by £50. Thats just embarrassing.

Soldato
There was an ASUS tech guy on a stream yesterday, from what he said no unless you count no hyperthreading for 9700k being a fix. He said basically they have the same security fixes as the current gen built in, so nothing hardware but software/microcode.

That’s what I understood anyway!

I believe the shipped microcode has the spectre and foreshadow stuff pre enabled, and some sites are deciding to count this as a hardware fix.

Back
Top Bottom