Woo-hoo, clocks go back this weekend

Soldato
Entirely agree, its ****** depressing when you wake up in the dark and get home from work in the dark.

But that's gonna happen anyway, unless you only work part time. I quite like the current arrangement of moving clocks twice a year. I don't really care if it gets dark earlier in winter, it'd dark by the time I get home from work either way.

Soldato
Lighter mornings are best mornings. Waking up at half 6 and it's still dark outside I feel like I've woken up in the middle of the night and I should get a few more hours bbbuuuuuttt time for work :/

fez

fez

Caporegime
But that's gonna happen anyway, unless you only work part time. I quite like the current arrangement of moving clocks twice a year. I don't really care if it gets dark earlier in winter, it'd dark by the time I get home from work either way.

Eventually, yes it does but you can at least stave it off for another few months if you didn't move the clocks back.

Soldato
Not that it makes it overly complex, but the minimal complexity it adds is pointless.

It's not really though, is it? The point of daylight saving time is that it allows the majority of the population to make better use of daylight. If we stayed on GMT year round, then during the summer, sunrise would be ~0345. Adjusting the clocks forward an hours means more light available in the evenings when more people can make better use of it, rather than 3 hours before they are even awake. Personally that's more valuable to me than being able to forego doing the most basic of mental arithmetic when calculating time zones (and that's coming from someone who is an early riser). Your opinion may differ, and the advantages of DST might not offer much to you, but it's by no means "pointless" :p

And before you accuse me of being biased against GMT, lighter mornings would actually be great for me. I'm hardly a layabout, usually up and about at 0530 every day, generally earlier in the summer. I like having the world to myself while everyone's still asleep, and I wouldn't even mind if we stuck to one timezone year round, even if meant sacrificing an hour of light in the evenings. But I recognise that most people start their day later, so switching time zones every six months is a compromise that benefits the majority.

Anyway, can someone copy every response in this thread to the forum clipboard, the we can just paste all the same replies again in six months :D

Soldato
Why.....?????!!!!!

Live in a rural area, the farm vehicles drop deisel and manure and all sorts of crap on the roads which if it gets wet is like riding on ice.

It's ok if you can see it you can plan for it, but you can't in the dark as there are no street lights. Literally not worth the hassle I just take the car.

Soldato
It is actually annoying some times, when we have calls from Boeing and they decide to tell is in "our time" and get it wrong. Though we always follow it up with emails confirming their time as well. But is annoying when they say 5pm British time when they really should be saying 6pm.

Caporegime
Standard clocks thread... My standard response..

Keep it +2 all year round! Super light evenings for longer!

Who cares about lighter mornings. Most people just go to work.
I think most people would rather a. Lighter evening, especially if you like doing outside stuff

Caporegime
Standard clocks thread... My standard response..

Keep it +2 all year round! Super light evenings for longer!

Who cares about lighter mornings. Most people just go to work.
I think most people would rather a. Lighter evening, especially if you like doing outside stuff
You'd think so, wouldn't you.

But some nutters want to get up at 5am and want it to be light when they do.

Back
Top Bottom