Woo-hoo, clocks go back this weekend

Soldato
It's not really though, is it? The point of daylight saving time is that it allows the majority of the population to make better use of daylight. If we stayed on GMT year round, then during the summer, sunrise would be ~0345. Adjusting the clocks forward an hours means more light available in the evenings when more people can make better use of it, rather than 3 hours before they are even awake. Personally that's more valuable to me than being able to forego doing the most basic of mental arithmetic when calculating time zones (and that's coming from someone who is an early riser). Your opinion may differ, and the advantages of DST might not offer much to you, but it's by no means "pointless" :p

And before you accuse me of being biased against GMT, lighter mornings would actually be great for me. I'm hardly a layabout, usually up and about at 0530 every day, generally earlier in the summer. I like having the world to myself while everyone's still asleep, and I wouldn't even mind if we stuck to one timezone year round, even if meant sacrificing an hour of light in the evenings. But I recognise that most people start their day later, so switching time zones every six months is a compromise that benefits the majority.

Anyway, can someone copy every response in this thread to the forum clipboard, the we can just paste all the same replies again in six months :D

Point is the dark mornings would be hell for construction workers, farmers etc. In Scotland it wouldn't be light until around 09:40 am. I'm retired and I too get up at 05:30 - I hate to 'waste the day in bed'.

Caporegime
Well I won’t be here as I’ll be somewhere nice and hot for a week, surprise bday gift from the missus and she hasn’t told me where we are going.

Only downside is that I’ll be coming back to a cold...dark at 4pm UK, where people think it’s great having to set the clocks back one hr every year. So that we can have longer dark evenings :/.

Caporegime
Point is the dark mornings would be hell for construction workers, farmers etc. In Scotland it wouldn't be light until around 09:40 am. I'm retired and I too get up at 05:30 - I hate to 'waste the day in bed'.
So once again, old people/Scottish people ruin everything :p

Caporegime
Only 14 hours to go! This is way more exciting than the Red Dead Redemption 2 launch. ;) Be dark by 6pm tomorrow night. I'm using this as yet another attempt to start a lifestyle change - be more active.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom