LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
So as expected G-sync version does not have any lag compared to F version. I am very skeptical about people crying about few miliseconds of input lag, but still it is an impressive feature of G-sync, to make a display have literally zero lag.

I don't have sRGB mode on my unit either which is rather unreasonable, because there is a clear oversaturation in the picture that many people may not prefer over proper sRGB. This is not something that you cannot get used to or to somewhat mitigate in games by using some desaturation, but still thats an inconvenience that may be significant for some users.

Another issue is that changing color temperature to anything else than Custom settings disables RGB adjustment menu.

Out of the box picture is looking pretty good compared side by side with perfectly factory calibrated 34UC98. Some minor adjustments in OSD make the screens very close, except for oversaturation on the 950G. UC98 also has more "pop" especially in highlights that are more pronounced, probably also because of oversaturation on 950G which makes things like light shafts "warmer" which means they are losing some power.

HDMI is 1.4 as mentioned, so 50 Hz max. Overcloking to 60 causes kind of a "moving scanlines"

Backlight bleed photo is almost exactly how my unit looks in practice, a bit of glow in top left corner and some meaningful amount in bottom left corner, which is typical because all IPS displays I have seen have most glow in bottom left corner.

I also confirm that glow pictures are similar to what I have, and as already mentioned before thats including a different glow from different sides. Moderate and purpleish-blueish when viewing from the left and massive whitish-brownish glow when looking from the right. What I cannot agree with is how it affects the viewing experience and how it compares to other displays of this type, also as mentioned before multiple times in this thread. The glow is very intensive is real viewing and gets through even moderately bright content very easily, making the display very uncomfortable to use. I also absolutely cannot agree with how the glow describtion in the 950G review throws UW4 AW3418DW in the same bag with UW2 PG348Q and Acer X34. UW2 panel displays have consistently been horrible with glow and generally black uniformity, making them effectively unusable (one of many examples would be AW34 vs PG348 in Rtings review made on retail units, look for black uniformity comparison). This was significantly improved with UW3 and UW4 panels. I myself have returned two Dell U3415W units in Feb 2016 due to unbearable glow and horrendously bad dark scene performance. This was significantly improved with my UW3 UC98 and this was the reason why I kept it. Due to the massive glow, especially on left hand side (so right side angle) I consider 950G to be a step back to the terrible dark scene performance of UW2 panel (as mentioned before, you don't even need dark scene for glow to come out), making it unacceptable and effectively unusable, not to even mention how it relates to the price that is 50% increased vs alternative solutions. I have already posted comparison pictures with 34UC98 to illustrate a point, here and here.

I have Alienware AW3418DW incoming either tomorrow (doubtful) or on Monday (certainly), making it 8th ultrawide I had in last 2,5 years, and I will directly compare it to UC98 and 950G.

Associate
Eh, 950G review was about what I expected. The lag from the freesync model is gone, which was expected. I thought it was curious that the contrast was almost 100 lower on the G. Do you think that comes down to panel lottery or is there something fundamentally different in the design?

Anyways, price and availability will still be the determining factors for me. If I can't buy it by black friday then I'll be going with the AW regardless of price. I also hope that we see it below the $1400 MSRP in the US, because I don't think that's a very competitive price point for what the 950G offers over the competition (which is largely $800-1000).

Associate
Eh, 950G review was about what I expected. The lag from the freesync model is gone, which was expected. I thought it was curious that the contrast was almost 100 lower on the G. Do you think that comes down to panel lottery or is there something fundamentally different in the design?

900:1 vs 980:1 is not a huge difference, certainly within manufacturing tolerances. You would have to measure contrast for dozes of units to really prove that there is actual difference in contrast between G and F models rather than just panel to panel variance.

Still going to buy one and see for myself in person, even if just to send it back straight after :)

Thats what you should always do. Reviews are reviews, user opinions are user opinions, but in the end the display is for you so you should always test things yourself. Especially if you live somewhere in civilized part of the world where you can return things that you couldn't test before buying, and without any return fees or other scam.

Associate
That 950G review convinced me I am getting one. Except for an irrelevant price difference (admittedly different for different people) the LG is better in almost every measure than the Alienware. Just have to make sure I buy it from a place that will accept returns (if I have a crazy amount of glow) and I’m golden. But WHEN is the question. When?!

Associate
thank you for the effort but after seeing that polish dude monitor i rather to wait and see a random bought ones not a panel picked and send by LG for a review

There is nothing unusually good about the review samples from TFT. Everything is in line with what I got, we just don't agree about how some things are affecting real viewing experience

Associate
Yeah what I got from both their reviews/feedback is that the panels seemed pretty similar and certainly within margin of error; I don't think there's any evidence to support any sort of super panel conspiracy. They just disagreed about what was acceptable/normal in terms of glow and viewing angles/environment, which is fine. Different people want different things from a monitor.

Associate
Yeah what I got from both their reviews/feedback is that the panels seemed pretty similar and certainly within margin of error; I don't think there's any evidence to support any sort of super panel conspiracy. They just disagreed about what was acceptable/normal in terms of glow and viewing angles/environment, which is fine. Different people want different things from a monitor.

I don't think that both panels were similar, nor do I think there is evidence to support that... Krzys's images and monitor are pretty unacceptable, and I don't believe Badass saw the same levels of IPS glow on his sample. There is no way to know for sure if one panel was different from the other, and whether panel lottery factored in, but it certainly appears that way. Without having the panels side by side, there is no way one person can claim that the amount of IPS glow on both panels is similar. You just can't. I am happy enough with Badass's impression given he has reviewed many many monitors, and believe that I can get a decent panel when it comes time to buy. Certainly if it comes with the amount of glow Krzys had, I would be exchanging it.

but WHEN.. November is pretty loosey goosey timeframe. November starts in 4 days.. .. Early November? Or are we talking December??

Associate
I've got one delivered today. Sorry for potato quality photos (I only have crappy Galaxy S6 camera), but I guess it's better than nothing. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet.

Associate
If the potato picture quality is not messing with me, i would say it looks good.

I ignore the pictures you took at an angle because thats not how you use the monitor.
Also give your room a bit more light! Is your room only lighted by the monitors rgbs?

May i ask where you bought it from? In germany the best i can find is 7-12 weeks delivery time.
Wish i would have yours.

Associate
I've got it from the same retailer as krzychowiec did (Poland). Here are few more potato quality photos. Last two photos are closest to how I'll be using it (small desk lamp is the only light source, plus monitor back RGBs set to lowest brightness possible) and what I'm seeing.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got it from the same retailer as krzychowiec did (Poland). Here are few more potato quality photos. Last two photos are closest to how I'll be using it (small desk lamp is the only light source, plus monitor back RGBs set to lowest brightness possible) and what I'm seeing.

looking good, so if i can see it corectly there is just a little glow in the left bottom corner and zero blb, is that so? what's the brightness and camera iso?

Associate
Yes, in dark room (except monitor back RGBs set to lowest brightness possible - I don't know how to turn it off) there is: slight glow in the bottom left and almost invisible glow in top right corner. ISO was set to 640 (first three) and to 500 (last two), f/1.9 (if that means anything for that crappy S6 camera). Monitor brightness is set to 16 and it's still bit to bright for me.

Associate
Yes, in dark room (except monitor back RGBs set to lowest brightness possible - I don't know how to turn it off) there is: slight glow in the bottom left and almost invisible glow in top right corner. ISO was set to 640 (first three) and to 500 (last two), f/1.9 (if that means anything for that crappy S6 camera). Monitor brightness is set to 16 and it's still bit to bright for me.
enjoy m8, i hope monitor will serve you well

Back
Top Bottom