TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
That's incorrect you can potentially need a licence for Amazon. It all depends on what you are watching on Amazon. Most of it doesn't require a licence but some of it does.

From the TV Licence site:

Subscription channels like Netflix, Amazon Prime/Instant Video and Now TV are television services that are normally paid for on a monthly basis via cable, satellite or the internet. ... But you don't need a TV Licence to watch on demand programmes (other than those on BBC iPlayer) on paid-for subscription channels.

Man of Honour
We have a change in pattern!

Previously all letters have been sent to "The Legal Occupier"
Now it has my name. I wonder if this has come from the electoral register?
The envelope is also red in colour, I assume this is supposed to seem more menacing.

"Dear Mr Lopez,

As you have not responded to our letters yet, you have left us no alternative but to proceed with the final stages of our investigation (These investigations must have a LOT of stages)
An Officer has been scheduled to visit Lopez Villas to find out if TV is being watched, recorded or downloaded illegally. The Officer may visit your property any day of the week, morning or evening.

The information below explains the procedure. You may refer to it during a visit from the Officer.

Yours sincerely

S.Simms
Enforcement Manager"

Soldato
We have a change in pattern!

Previously all letters have been sent to "The Legal Occupier"
Now it has my name. I wonder if this has come from the electoral register?
The envelope is also red in colour, I assume this is supposed to seem more menacing.

"Dear Mr Lopez,

As you have not responded to our letters yet, you have left us no alternative but to proceed with the final stages of our investigation (These investigations must have a LOT of stages)
An Officer has been scheduled to visit Lopez Villas to find out if TV is being watched, recorded or downloaded illegally. The Officer may visit your property any day of the week, morning or evening.

The information below explains the procedure. You may refer to it during a visit from the Officer.

Yours sincerely

S.Simms
Enforcement Manager"
Juicy! Let us know how you get on please. I like the red letter bit :D

Caporegime
Positively furious to have just read that the BBC are proposing to axe "established" shows such as Gardener's World, in favour of more "new-format" shows like bleddy Strictly Come Dancing.

The BBC of late have made it clear that they just want to chase ratings.

But hold on, aren't they ostensibly a public-serving broadcaster? How much public service does a show like Eastenders or Strictly provide?

And actual, useful shows like Gardener's World are now undesirable?

Screw it, if this goes ahead I'm not paying the license fee ever again. BBC clearly engaged in a race to be the best LCD broadcaster it can be.

Man of Honour
I think you might have the definition of "Public Service" a little too tightly defined. One of the BBC's remits is entertainment, which is where Strictly would fall under, as is culture, which it would also fall under. Providing entertainment to millions every week ("chasing ratings") is part of the BBC's job.

Strictly is something like 15 years old, is that really "new format"?

Caporegime
I think you might have the definition of "Public Service" a little too tightly defined. One of the BBC's remits is entertainment, which is where Strictly would fall under, as is culture, which it would also fall under. Providing entertainment to millions every week ("chasing ratings") is part of the BBC's job.

Strictly is something like 15 years old, is that really "new format"?
Well can they still be a public service broadcaster if they do nothing but entertainment? I understand that "The Bodyguard" was well received lately (not my cup of tea), but those kinds of shows can't be the whole purpose of the Beeb.

Gardener's World is one of the few truly educational shows they produce now outside of BBC4.

Are BBC1 and BBC2 to be nothing but soaps & game shows?

Caporegime
They don't do "nothing but entertainment", you are being dramatic.
Well if they go ahead and cut all the shows they are proposing, then they will be moving in that direction.

Also I used the word "if" for a reason. There is no doubt the direction of travel, even if we are not arrived at the destination.

e: Anyway, a little bit more info. The Beeb in an internal memo said they they need to be more commercially successful, and that they should style themselves on Netflix or Amazon Video, in an effort to increase revenues.

The plans/proposals to ditch GW (etc) obviously stem from their belief that other shows will sell better commercially.

It's a shame.

Soldato
You just have to look at the paltry selection of content on the iPlayer, in comparison to say 4OD, to see how shoddy the BBC is. They have their entire back catalogue just sitting around somewhere unavailable to the people who funded it.

Man of Honour
Well if they go ahead and cut all the shows they are proposing, then they will be moving in that direction.

Also I used the word "if" for a reason. There is no doubt the direction of travel, even if we are not arrived at the destination.

e: Anyway, a little bit more info. The Beeb in an internal memo said they they need to be more commercially successful, and that they should style themselves on Netflix or Amazon Video, in an effort to increase revenues.

The plans/proposals to ditch GW (etc) obviously stem from their belief that other shows will sell better commercially.

It's a shame.
Where did you read this anyway? I haven't heard anything recently about scrapping Gardener's World?

Caporegime
You just have to look at the paltry selection of content on the iPlayer, in comparison to say 4OD, to see how shoddy the BBC is. They have their entire back catalogue just sitting around somewhere unavailable to the people who funded it.
Yes I also found out today that you can only go back 30 days for most shows. If I want to watch the GW programmes from March this year I have to look to YouTube or DailyMotion. Which are basically hosting these shows illegally.

Tbh I can't see a future in which I pay my TV License. The BBC does not seem to represent the kind of programming that I want to see, and I'll be damned if my hard-earned goes to fund "commercially viable" programming like the other **** they churn out. They seem to want to be a broadcaster that sells shows to Dave for a living.

Where did you read this anyway? I haven't heard anything recently about scrapping Gardener's World?
Google. Whilst looking for the earlier GW shows from March this year. Dated around May 2018.

Man of Honour
Given that the same articles from that time period also say:

"
A BBC spokesperson said: ‘Recommissioning decisions are always made on a case by case basis, and we are committed to finding the very best new ideas as well as keeping long running shows at the top of their game.’

‘The review last year reiterated what has always been the case – tendering existing programmes is not the only way to deliver competition, decommissions are another option. The conclusions specifically said we should only decommission if it makes sense from an audience point of view. If it doesn’t – we don’t.’

‘Gardener’s World is a much loved and popular BBC Two show and there are no plans to retire it.’"

perhaps you should save your outrage....

Soldato
Agruably though theres plenty of shows with low viewer figures that they keep on as filler.

Really annoys me, in the year I've been paying for the license at home, I reckon I've watched maybe an hour's worth of BBC programming. I would happily see it go to a subscription model instead, there would be plenty of people willing to pay for exactly what they want to watch and it would lean all the crap out

Caporegime
Agruably though theres plenty of shows with low viewer figures that they keep on as filler.

Really annoys me, in the year I've been paying for the license at home, I reckon I've watched maybe an hour's worth of BBC programming. I would happily see it go to a subscription model instead, there would be plenty of people willing to pay for exactly what they want to watch and it would lean all the crap out

I got rid of Sky in January so I got rid of my license. All i watch now is Prime and Netflix

Back
Top Bottom