Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
First go at refurbishing an alloy.

Picked a matching one up for cheap from ebay as it had a lot of scuffing.

8uLl4fw.jpg

Some large gouges and lots of scratches

ack90lP.jpg

Sanded and filled the damage

0tdek2K.jpg

then sanded again ready for primer and first colour coat.

S9WYrst.jpg

BpSVzpk.jpg

used fine line tape to mask off the edge and then put the metallic black coat on

jOJBlYS.jpg

then a few coats of lacquer

3Kfxm9G.jpg

DPYD2Kg.jpg

and finally used a DA sander with a few sponges and compound to polish the lacquer to a high sheen

pXrPSWo.jpg

uTr8x1e.jpg

It's by no means perfect but I'm pretty chuffed with the results considering it was only rattle cans.

Totally OTT for a spare wheel too but I enjoyed the project and learnt a few things along the way.

Associate
Good work.

Right, if you have a polished and sealed car, do you...…
1. Clean the grit/salt off every weekend, knowing it is creating swirls that you will need to get out at some point, or
2. Neglect to clean it through winter (or at least reduce washing) knowing there is protection underneath.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Use a pre wash and a hose to get rid of the heavy soiling and you should be ok. I personally tend to avoid jet washes in winter.

Tbh with kids and work and poor weather my car wouldn’t get a wash every week over winter as the only time I have at weekends is the early morning, it’s normally too frosty to get it done then

Soldato
Good work.

Right, if you have a polished and sealed car, do you...…
1. Clean the grit/salt off every weekend, knowing it is creating swirls that you will need to get out at some point, or
2. Neglect to clean it through winter (or at least reduce washing) knowing there is protection underneath.
Option 1, but plenty of citrus prewash and ending with a ph neutral rinse, so you don't need to dry it.
But, if you wish to top up the sealent then bouncers done and dusted works for me..

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Interior cleaning: I used to use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Wipes, but these no longer exist apparently.

What do you guys recommend? The kids have been in the golf for the last 6 weeks or so and you can imagine the state of the panels/seats.

Soldato
My grandad has recently become so ill that he's now been medically advised not to continue driving. He was driving a 2005 Fiesta, and enjoyed smoking in it regularly, mixed with ferrying around his dog, as such it's left quite a strong smell in the interior of the car.

I've now taken ownership of said car, and wondered what is the best way to get rid of the smell? I've vacuumed the car and wiped everything down, sprayed some interior odour eliminator and let it air for awhile, but it's still clearly quite pungent. Any ideas of what I can try next to lift the smell? People have advised car smellies but I'm inclined to remove the smell rather than mask it.

Any advice welcome (short of throwing a match on the car and being done with it)... :)

Associate
My grandad has recently become so ill that he's now been medically advised not to continue driving. He was driving a 2005 Fiesta, and enjoyed smoking in it regularly, mixed with ferrying around his dog, as such it's left quite a strong smell in the interior of the car.

I've now taken ownership of said car, and wondered what is the best way to get rid of the smell? I've vacuumed the car and wiped everything down, sprayed some interior odour eliminator and let it air for awhile, but it's still clearly quite pungent. Any ideas of what I can try next to lift the smell? People have advised car smellies but I'm inclined to remove the smell rather than mask it.

Any advice welcome (short of throwing a match on the car and being done with it)... :)
A decent car odour bomb like clobberiser will work. https://www.clobberizer.com/product...TllATnupJhdW5VN7M_teWYUQxuQeHcDRoCh7UQAvD_BwE

cheaper alternative at CYC: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/dakota-odor-bombs-various-fragrences

Soldato
First go at refurbishing an alloy.

Picked a matching one up for cheap from ebay as it had a lot of scuffing.

It's by no means perfect but I'm pretty chuffed with the results considering it was only rattle cans.

Totally OTT for a spare wheel too but I enjoyed the project and learnt a few things along the way.
impressive, whose primer did you use ? is it acid etch, or an epoxy primer, and (metallic) filler.
epoxy primer seems much more expensive ?

[... I have some work to do on an alloy bicycle, so had been reading up.
seems you have to do some good preparation of the alloy, special wipe (not IPA) and then apply primer quickly .... and time will tell if the layers are well adhered ]

Soldato
Just used E-Tech PRO alloy wheel paints and primer.

Nothing special about application just a lot of wet sanding between coats. Applied primer leaving 20 mins between coats, the next day I applied colour coat leaving 20 mins between 3 coats and lastly on the 3rd day applied lacquer again with 20 mins between coats. I left the lacquer to harden for a week before polishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom