• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why do people chase 4K gaming?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Because I differentiate between the average and the enthusiast/informed, I thought my post where I put in my arguments for different resolutions would have inferred that.

Just from this quote alone, you can see that I caveat each option with the type of person I think it would be best suited to. This option is best IF this is true. Then I make a generalised statement, and even clarify "average consumer" to make this clear.

You seem to be attempting to dismiss my arguments because my generalised statement is at odds with my caveated statement, while ignoring the fact that one is a generalised statement and one has the caveat.
I conceded already that your post was answering the question in the thread title rather his question about his nephew.

You have yet to answer my questions however. To help make it a bit more clear:
  • Where in this thread have a I attacked anyone?
  • Where in this thread have I ignored 21:9?
  • Where in this thread have I shown bias?
These are things you have accused me of and told me to go have tea and calm down. Lol.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think you’ll find it’s not wrong, it’s a difference of opinion. We are entitled to our own after all.
Sure we are.

But rather than saying something is wrong, at least please explain to me why, that way I and others reading this here can learn. If that statement in this context was wrong, I and many others would not be wasting our money on 4K for the same image quality :p

Also I understand about difference of opinion. But I am not sure that applies to everything. Like say if someone said to you 1+1= 3 and you disagree and he says it is a difference of opinion man... That's what I feel just happened :p

I always like to learn and if proven wrong happy to hold my hands up and say so. I would even thank you, as you would have helped me :D

Soldato
I used 3 x 24" 1080p monitors for about 6 years and it was awesome. A year or so ago I changed to a cheap single 40" 4k monitor and love it. The size means I feel like I've got extra height rather than lost width (even though I had lost width). Crucially, I've never tried any monitor running higher than 60Hz, so I don't know what I'm missing - the same reason I've never tried VR! :D

I'm one of those who loves pretty graphics and really struggle to put settings below the highest. I never play online, only ever single player or LAN.

Everyone is different, and the resolution/aspect ratio/refresh rate question is always going to be different for different people. If you're happy with what you have, good on you and enjoy it.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Also I understand about difference of opinion. But I am not sure that applies to everything. Like say if someone said to you 1+1= 3 and you disagree and he says it is a difference of opinion man... That's what I feel just happened :p

Guess you must be wrong then.

Soldato
I conceded already that your post was answering the question in the thread title rather his question about his nephew.

You have yet to answer my questions however. To help make it a bit more clear:
  • Where in this thread have a I attacked anyone?
  • Where in this thread have I ignored 21:9?
  • Where in this thread have I shown bias?
These are things you have accused me of.

1. I never said you attacked anyone, I said you attacked every opinion that differed from your own. To be clear, I'm making a distinction between disputing opinion and attacking opinion - you are doing the latter.
I will walk back the second accusation, re-reading the thread you have at least acknowledged 21:9 - although not for the aspect ratio itself but the increased refresh rate over 4k, which is the less important attribute but still - I'll concede it was overreaching to say ignored, my bad.
The third point ties a little into point 1. Earlier in the thread, page 2, you were more nuanced and accepted options other than 4k could be more appropriate - but from, essentially my post, you've been less accepting that someone (me, specifically) could possibly recommend anything but 4k. Maybe this impression came from the misunderstanding of my post - thus your posts were countering a narrative that wasn't put forward - and maybe now you understand my posts this will dissipate and will accept reasoning for other options instead of dismissing them because you prefer 4k.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
1. I never said you attacked anyone, I said you attacked every opinion that differed from your own. To be clear, I'm making a distinction between disputing opinion and attacking opinion - you are doing the latter.
I will walk back the second accusation, re-reading the thread you have at least acknowledged 21:9 - although not for the aspect ratio itself but the increased refresh rate over 4k, which is the less important attribute but still - I'll concede it was overreaching to say ignored, my bad.
The third point ties a little into point 1. Earlier in the thread, page 2, you were more nuanced and accepted options other than 4k could be more appropriate - but from, essentially my post, you've been less accepting that someone (me, specifically) could possibly recommend anything but 4k. Maybe this impression came from the misunderstanding of my post - thus your posts were countering a narrative that wasn't put forward - and maybe now you understand my posts this will dissipate and will accept reasoning for other options instead of dismissing them because you prefer 4k.

I agree that some points may have been misinterpreted to the way they were constructed. This is getting into semantics now. Lol. If you please, where did I attack "opinion" of yours/others?

As you admit, I said it "could be better" never said for sure it is. I cannot know for sure his nephew's preference.

From my point of view I have maintained that 4K image quality is better. Hence my reply to easyrider. Nowhere have I said it is most suitable for anyone. I agree UW ratio is a superior experience to some. That is subjective, so why would I argue that?

Soldato
I think you’ll find it’s not wrong, it’s a difference of opinion. We are entitled to our own after all.

Math isn't opinion. The 1+1=3 example is really no different to what's being said here about PPI. More pixels in any given area create a sharper and more detailed image. This is just scientific and mathmatical fact, there is no opinion about it.

Of course, there is no certainty the human eye will always see it... the difference in PPI obviously factors in and it's extremely unlikely that anyone would notice the difference between, let's say for example, 60 and 70ppi. A 27" 1440p monitor with 109ppi vs a 27" 4K monitor with 163ppi however... if someone can't see the difference there then there is something wrong with their vision.

Image quality doesn't mean all that much to everyone though, and obviously we game in motion, and the fluidity and smoothness of that motion is essential to the experience. Also, some people are far more sensitive to motion speed than others, which is why a 60Hz monitor to one person is more than adequate, while to another it's abominable and virtually unplayable. This is all separate to the point though... higher PPI will always equate to sharper and more detailed imagery. The only 'opinion' that enters in to that is whether it's important to someone or not and how much it effects their gaming experience... that's entirely subjective.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Math isn't opinion. The 1+1=3 example is really no different to what's being said here about PPI. More pixels in any given area create a sharper and more detailed image. This is just scientific and mathmatical fact, there is no opinion about it.

Of course, there is no certainty the human eye will always see it... the difference in PPI obviously factors in and it's extremely unlikely that anyone would notice the difference between, let's say for example 60 and 70ppi. A 27" 1440p monitor with 109ppi vs a 27" 4K monitor with 163ppi however... if someone can't see the difference there then there is something wrong with their vision.

Image quality doesn't mean all that much to everyone though, and obviously we game in motion, and the fluidity and smoothness of that motion is essential to the experience. Also, some people are far more sensitive to motion speed than others, which is why a 60Hz monitor to one person is more than adequate, while to another it's abominable and virtually unplayable. This is all separate to the point though... higher PPI will always equate to sharper and more detailed imagery. The only 'opinion' that enters in to that is whether its important to someone or not.
+1 well said mate.

Earlier in the thread before this debate started I even said monitors were a very subjective thing :)

Soldato
It's getting a little off topic, but if claiming opinions to be closed minded, don't make sense, a load of rubbish, strawmen, not an attack - fair enough.

And yep, you've definitely maintained that 4k IQ is better - which I totally agree with. However IQ is not the sole factor and I thought my argument nuanced that enough for you to not argue the point so vehemently :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's getting a little off topic, but if claiming opinions to be closed minded, don't make sense, a load of rubbish, strawmen, not an attack - fair enough.

And yep, you've definitely maintained that 4k IQ is better - which I totally agree with. However IQ is not the sole factor and I thought my argument nuanced that enough for you to not argue the point so vehemently :p
Heh :p

I only said that in reply to what you way saying mate. You said my bias was getting in the way, so I said that was a load of rubbish etc. Not attacking you, or your opinion regarding UW being better suitable for you or others ;)

Anyway. For me this is just a friendly debate (well started as one anyway), I do not mean to offend anyone, if I have, I apologise :D

Back
Top Bottom