• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Lately have been Looking for 2nd hand vega 64 at the moment because I thought with the new lower prices and the fact mining is dead there might be a few for sale but it seems that everyone that is selling is looking for almost the retail price. I assume this is because they paid a huge price for them. I just cant stretch at the moment to pay for a new one.

Should I just wait until christmas/january sales and hope theres a similar deal running and scrape the extra few pound for a new one? Or should there bd more on the 2nd hand market.

Associate
I had a nice little performance boost to, going from a i5 7600k and a 1070. Thinking back average fps 60 odd

So I'm happy :)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Setting up my 2700x today, will rebench everything and see what's up! WOOOO!

Not promising it'll be stable but I reckon you can achieve that clock speed with lower voltages than that! :)

Once I get my new 2700x setup dialed in I will attempt to go lower on the voltages. Here's hoping!

Associate
Hi,
I bought a second hand vega 64 LC a few months ago (with a 2 year warranty etc etc) and set about repasting & undervolting. I decided to log the GPU to see if it was finally stable and was shocked to see that the coreclock would quite often boost to 1980mhz, this was on both GPU-Z and AMD's own Wattman. Funnily enough the HBM2 does not want to go past 1050mhz.

Is this normal? I kept the max frequency at 1752(stock)

How does the boosting work?

Associate
Hi,
I bought a second hand vega 64 LC a few months ago (with a 2 year warranty etc etc) and set about repasting & undervolting. I decided to log the GPU to see if it was finally stable and was shocked to see that the coreclock would quite often boost to 1980mhz, this was on both GPU-Z and AMD's own Wattman. Funnily enough the HBM2 does not want to go past 1050mhz.

Is this normal? I kept the max frequency at 1752(stock)
seems to be common that if everything is at an acceptable level for it to do so i/e temps etc, it will boost past the max set frequency of the p7, however ive not seen any reports of it going this high without crashing(reports on overclock.net of some people in earlier days seeing spikes causing crashes)
what drivers are you using?

Associate
seems to be common that if everything is at an acceptable level for it to do so i/e temps etc, it will boost past the max set frequency of the p7, however ive not seen any reports of it going this high without crashing(reports on overclock.net of some people in earlier days seeing spikes causing crashes)
what drivers are you using?

Most recent 18.9.3. My p6 @ 960mv/1667mhz, p7 @ 1160mv/1752, HBM @1050 920mv, +50% power.
I was going for quietness expecting the card to underclock at these settings.

Associate
Most recent 18.9.3. My p6 @ 960mv/1667mhz, p7 @ 1160mv/1752, HBM @1050 920mv, +50% power.
I was going for quietness expecting the card to underclock at these settings.
does it sustain these speeds or does it spike for a second or two? might be worth testing the most recent driver 18.11.2 and seeing what happens.
edit: the lower your volts the higher vega will push the clocks as it has more room to breath. its definitely not what people are used to :)

Associate
does it sustain these speeds or does it spike for a second or two? might be worth testing the most recent driver 18.11.2 and seeing what happens.
edit: the lower your volts the higher vega will push the clocks as it has more room to breath. its definitely not what people are used to :)

Yes not what I expected. It can sustain 1850mhz all day long it seems, 1900mhz+ for about 60 seconds before down-clocking and 1950+ for about 5 seconds.

On the heaven benchmark it stays at a consistent 1850mhz.

I think I may know why this is happening, I have been testing the stability on old games MGS:revengence/Vanquish. When the memory is clocked down (which is quite often because these games are old) you get really high clock-speeds 1900mhz - 1950mhz comfortably. I suppose this is one of the consequences of putting the hbm next to the core.

Tbh I'd be happier with more HBM headroom, but one gets what one gets.

Will try 9.11.2

Last edited:
Associate
Yes not what I expected. It can sustain 1850mhz all day long it seems, 1900mhz+ for about 60 seconds before down-clocking and 1950+ for about 5 seconds.

On the heaven benchmark it stays at a consistent 1850mhz.

I think I may know why this is happening, I have been testing the stability on old games MGS:revengence/Vanquish. When the memory is clocked down (which is quite often because these games are old) you get really high clock-speeds. I can also deduce that when the memory is clocked down the clock stays at 1900mhz - 1950mhz comfortably. I suppose this is one of the consequences of putting the hbm next to the core.

Tbh I'd be happier with more HBM headroom, but one gets what one gets.

Will try 9.11.2
sounds like you've got a good one there, try pushing the HBM further and lower the core slightly; as you see more gains from the higher HBM speeds and as you say you get more room on one when the other is lowered slightly (you can try and balance these until you get the right combo for you). ps mine will push to about 1800 core but doesnt like higher HBM clocks regardless of core clocks, im currently on ref and limited by cooling to test any further really. got a feeling i can push a lot harder on the core but to be honest i get more than enough performance just by lowering volts and increasing the core (did have the highest vega timespy score on here at one point).

Associate
[QUOTE="ps mine will push to about 1800 core but doesnt like higher HBM clocks regardless of core clocks,[/QUOTE]

This card may have been used for mining considering the memory seriously artifacts at 1100mhz and there are murmurs of HBM2 degradation on some forums. Possibly this is why the card was sold. Although I know very little about mining so I could be completely wrong. My stubbon HBM will not pass 1070mhz but I keep it at 1050 for 24/7 stability (like yours it doesnt matter about the core speed)

This may make me sound stupid but..... I wonder - what takes precedent the core or the ram - the drivers/circuitry of the board could favour the boost of one over the other. If you have a card with a strong core this may hamper the temps/stability of the hbm seeing as they are so close. Especially considering the core just boosts itself over the max p7 state anyway. I know HBM is a complete redesign of the ram package but how well can it deal with fluxes of temps from a strong (silicone lottery) core next to it?

You are completely right about balancing the OC, it seems very very sensitive like a racing car, this is an upgrade from a gtx 1060 which was... hit it with a spanner oc

Last edited:
Associate
[QUOTE="ps mine will push to about 1800 core but doesnt like higher HBM clocks regardless of core clocks,

This card may have been used for mining considering the memory seriously artifacts at 1100mhz and there are murmurs of HBM2 degradation on some forums. Possibly this is why the card was sold. Although I know very little about mining so I could be completely wrong. My stubbon HBM will not pass 1070mhz but I keep it at 1050 for 24/7 stability (like yours it doesnt matter about the core speed)

This may make me sound stupid but..... I wonder - what takes precedent the core or the ram - the drivers/circuitry of the board could favour the boost of one over the other. If you have a card with a strong core this may hamper the temps/stability of the hbm seeing as they are so close. Especially considering the core just boosts itself over the max p7 state anyway. I know HBM is a complete redesign of the ram package but how well can it deal with fluxes of temps from a strong (silicone lottery) core next to it?

You are completely right about balancing the OC, it seems very very sensitive like a racing car, this is an upgrade from a gtx 1060 which was
just to throw a spanner in the works, in regards to HBM and your older games, set the min and max iboth on the p3 state in your game profile in wattman and go and see what happens. ;)
edit: for clarity p3 on the memory.

Last edited:
Associate
So have had my 64 installed in my brand new build since beginning with this week, and so far impressed overall.
I followed the WM settings @Panos has posted and like the higher clock under load, working great in the original Tomb Raider I've been playing.

Can anyone guide me on how to set up my settings for Fortnite to keep a solid 144fps though?
I play with all settings bar draw distance on low, and can easily exceed the 144 when uncapped, and have it locked via FRTC and Freesync is switched on.
I noticed the issue last night after about half hour or so of playing, and it seemed to back off to about 35-60% load and only rendering about 80fps on average.
Obviously thats still great but doesn't have the feel and benefit of 144 which I'm after and have experienced initially.

Associate
So have had my 64 installed in my brand new build since beginning with this week, and so far impressed overall.
I followed the WM settings @Panos has posted and like the higher clock under load, working great in the original Tomb Raider I've been playing.

Can anyone guide me on how to set up my settings for Fortnite to keep a solid 144fps though?
I play with all settings bar draw distance on low, and can easily exceed the 144 when uncapped, and have it locked via FRTC and Freesync is switched on.
I noticed the issue last night after about half hour or so of playing, and it seemed to back off to about 35-60% load and only rendering about 80fps on average.
Obviously thats still great but doesn't have the feel and benefit of 144 which I'm after and have experienced initially.
untick the cap and use chill instead, set both sliders to 144, the cap will be re enabled, disable it. this should be smoother than using the framerate cap.

Associate
just to throw a spanner in the works, in regards to HBM and your older games, set the min and max iboth on the p3 state in your game profile in wattman and go and see what happens. ;)
edit: for clarity p3 on the memory.

Set the p3 state to 800. now getting consistant (over 5 mins) 1930mhz - 1960mhz on core

I wish AMD had taken Vega more seriously at launch, could be these new drivers.

Last edited:
Associate
Set the p3 state to 800. now getting consistant (over 5 mins) 1930mhz - 1960mhz on core
holy cow! not seen one boost this high consistent are you on water? you could now try upping the hbm slowly to 1100 or 1095 if your concerned about degradation, and see which gives your better performance. core or memory.
edit: what are you using to monitor the core? are you using the radeon overlay or something else

Last edited:
Associate
untick the cap and use chill instead, set both sliders to 144, the cap will be re enabled, disable it. this should be smoother than using the framerate cap.
Where is this chill setting? I've heard it mentioned around but can't seem to find it in my Radeon software?

Also tried these Wattman settings (his 1595/1100 result):
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...king-undervolting-information-guide.18793012/
And it crashed about a third of the way through Heaven...despite being lower voltage :confused:

Back
Top Bottom