100mm hole through wood....deep

Caporegime
OP
If it's above a door opening, it could just be a filler piece or it could be a lintel. I'd suggest getting someone in to advise before just drilling through it

My assumption is it's part lintel part filler

The way it's intending on being cut is so it affectshalf and half of another piece of timber essentially

I'll see if we can contact the original contractors

Associate
Possible stupid question incoming. Can you not use smaller ducting?
A 50mm hole can move as much air as a 100mm hole if the fan is running faster.

Caporegime
OP
Possible stupid question incoming. Can you not use smaller ducting?
A 50mm hole can move as much air as a 100mm hole if the fan is running faster.

I guess we could yes, just standard extraction ducting is usually 100mm circle, or rectangle.

Yes still applies, straight up, through the room above as well, and even then out of the wall at floor level above to avoid going through wood?

I guess, be a painting run through upstairs though as there's a bedroom and bathroom above. I contemplated about going I to the ceiling then across out the wall but I think there's a lot of pipe work under the floor boards above.

Or two 70mm holes, or three 57mm holes and a splitter of some sort. These being the same XSA as 1 100mm hole.

ALL the holes

Soldato
To be fair, I did stop at 4 50mm holes :), although you could maybe make a fairly low profile 100mm square divertor/splitter plate/box to go over 4 50mm holes in a square pattern. The outlet grill is going to be a 100mm square anyway I;m guessing. You would run 50mm plastic pipe through the holes and seal around the inlet of course. so moist air doesn't meet wood.

Caporegime
OP
Joists and lintels have completely different loadings, you should not randomly drill holes in lintels

Can you put up some pics?

Not.home for a few days now.

Think galley kitchen, door down the end with a window next to it. Above window and door is about 30cm of space,all of this is wood, but not one solid piece

Back
Top Bottom