• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
The strategy does make a lot of sense. The money is in volume sales in the mainstream. AMD can't compete at the very high end so no halo product. Instead they develop an efficient cheap to manufacture design and gain mindshare by selling affordable volume product that will have more than enough power for the average consumer.

I'd buy both the CPUs and GPUs because they are/will be/may be affordable and they will drive 1440p easily. It's easy to forget on these forums most people consider £250 expensive for any PC part.

If AMD come close to this performance/price ratio they will sell them by the boat load. There are a lot of us still on 5-8 year old hardware waiting for the right moment to jump back in.

Edit: typo

Soldato
The strategy does make a lot of sense. The money is in volume sales in the mainstream. AMD can't compete at the very high end so no halo product. Instead they develop an efficient cheap to manufacture design and gain mindshare by selling affordable volume product that will have more than enough power for the average consumer.

I'd buy both the CPUs and GPUs because they are/will be/may be affordable and they will drive 1440p easily. It's easy to forget on these forums most people consider £250 expensive for any PC part.

If AMD come close to this performance/price ratio they will sell them by the boat load. There are a lot of us still on 5-8 year old hardware waiting for the right moment to jump back in.

Edit: typo

Yep, I almost pulled the trigger on a new build in September, but heard about 7nm and Zen2 (tbh I had no idea what was what anymore when I looked into it) read about 7nm and Zen2, decided to hold off and bought a tide-me-over 580 instead. New gen AMD is gonna save money on electricity and I can buy a lower wattage PSU and save money there as well, mine is 7 years old i'm not going to risk it in a new build.

Associate
Yep, I almost pulled the trigger on a new build in September, but heard about 7nm and Zen2 (tbh I had no idea what was what anymore when I looked into it) read about 7nm and Zen2, decided to hold off and bought a tide-me-over 580 instead. New gen AMD is gonna save money on electricity and I can buy a lower wattage PSU and save money there as well, mine is 7 years old i'm not going to risk it in a new build.

I was on the fence but bought the vega56 and happy with it.
Navi still months way.
undervolting vega show 150-180w for me.
and besides, its getting cold here.
if amd support am4 then all I do is buy the new cpu and wait for mboard to mature and upgrade later for the new chipset.

Soldato

Yes I think AMD have done their market research. The average person is struggling financially, they know where future sales are coming from.

Soldato
AMD can't compete at the very high end so no halo product.

*cough* EPYC Rome *cough* Threadripper *cough*

And if the Ryzen 3000 leaks are true then Intel are getting a battering on the consumer desktop too. Everywhere you look AMD are competing at the very high end of CPUs. What's the 9900K got that Ryzen 2700X doesn't? Superior 1080p gaming performance? That's it? And even that is slated to change with Ryzen 3000.

Soldato
Navi still months way.
if amd support am4 then all I do is buy the new cpu and wait for mboard to mature and upgrade later for the new chipset.

I would still have bought a Vega 56 when they were on for £300 but as my 2500k would have bottlenecked it (2500k won't hold an OC any more), I was advised it would have been a waste of time. Tbh i'd never let power consumption put me off buying anything, but this undervolt everyone is doing works well. I can't work out why AMD haven't adjusted their voltage out the box?

Soldato
Yes I think AMD have done their market research. The average person is struggling financially, they know where future sales are coming from.

And if their new tech delivers as rumoured it's going to eliminate power consumption criticism, another 'perception' that hurts their sales.

If they could deliver a card to match the 2080ti and a bit cheaper they'd pretty much have the best cards at all price points.

Associate
I would still have bought a Vega 56 when they were on for £300 but as my 2500k would have bottlenecked it (2500k won't hold an OC any more), I was advised it would have been a waste of time. Tbh i'd never let power consumption put me off buying anything, but this undervolt everyone is doing works well. I can't work out why AMD haven't adjusted their voltage out the box?

Has to pass quality controls and a average voltage is set for cards to pass.
so if lucky you can undervolt for less power draw.
Vega is highly efficient at a bit lower mhz.

Soldato
Navi still months way.
Same, for £300 is was too good to pass up. Yeah a 1070 Ti uses less power but Vega 56 has FreeSync and that's a killer feature.

Soldato
*cough* EPYC Rome *cough* Threadripper *cough*

And if the Ryzen 3000 leaks are true then Intel are getting a battering on the consumer desktop too.
Yeah... Intel's senior management must be now seriously thinking explanations to big share holders for why they should get to keep their jobs.

Intel basically owned everything for half dozen years having huge lead in everything...
From manufacturing tech to energy efficiency and performance.
Just couple years ago I believed nothing could touch them for long time.
Now only thing Intel has is single thread performance advantage mostly from higher clocking manufacturing node.
Courtesy of AMD having been stuck with second rate GlobalFoundries.
For heavily multithreading workload/independent workloads AMD offers more performance per price.
And Zen2 based products are going to "break the bank" in high profit server and supercomputer CPU markets.

And with their failed architectural and manufacturing node development strategy, Intel won't be having easy time in single thread performance.
Though chiplet design has its challenges for that.
But if Zen1 was just temporary goal, maybe AMD has found solutions to that during all these years Zen architecture line has been in development.

Soldato
all the rumours are indicating that AMD will release a 16core cpu on AM4 platform, I doubt X450 boards will run those but will the X470 manage to run them? They dont have enough power phase circuitry from my understanding.

But what about the top end X470 boards?

So much for backward comparability but this is a sacrifice that many are happy with. I dont think when AMD were designing these boards they anticipated they would be releasing 16core cpu to the main stream market. They really are pushing boundaries of performance here.

Soldato
all the rumours are indicating that AMD will release a 16core cpu on AM4 platform, I doubt X450 boards will run those but will the X470 manage to run them? They dont have enough power phase circuitry from my understanding.

But what about the top end X470 boards?

So much for backward comparability but this is a sacrifice that many are happy with. I dont think when AMD were designing these boards they anticipated they would be releasing 16core cpu to the main stream market. They really are pushing boundaries of performance here.

It should depend on what the board is rated for. A board rated for a 65watt CPU should run a 32core 65watt part. From what I've seen the 7nm chips use only slightly more power than the 14nm parts.

Back
Top Bottom