• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
It should depend on what the board is rated for. A board rated for a 65watt CPU should run a 32core 65watt part. From what I've seen the 7nm chips use only slightly more power than the 14nm parts.

From some basic calculation and some extrapolation, the top end X470 boards should handle a 16core cpu no problem even overclocked, the Crosshair VII hero, Taichi and Aorus gaming 7 are all fine for such a chip if it ever shows up.

It kinda makes sense why we see overkill VRM design on these boards.

Soldato
Well I was properly dubious of the first leak and despite it being Adored I am still a little dubious - not because I believe it isn't doable, just because it is all still rumor.

AFAIK we know little about how this IO/Chiplet layout is going to perform on desktop in mainstream tasks and gaming - there has been some talk and a limited demonstration on server hardware, but I don't believe we know an awful lot else.

If it is actually a genuine step forward and we see a 10-20% IPC gain as well as these clocks then AMD will have made an incredibly attractive product.

Soldato
waits for this mythical 5ghz stock chip. :p
Here you go: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-9590

Intel basically owned everything for half dozen years having huge lead in everything...
That was more due to AMDs issues than Intel's success though. The FX processors were AMD's Pentium 4s, Ryzen is their Core. It's very easy to do great when the other guy is stuck furiously polishing a turd while going back to the drawin board to try and R&D a completely different product line.

Associate
Same, for £300 is was too good to pass up. Yeah a 1070 Ti uses less power but Vega 56 has FreeSync and that's a killer feature.

Absolutly

Well there was the reddit post, then there was the leak to AdoredTV and finally HardOCP popped in their 3c as well suggesting that there's some validity to these leaks.

May not end up as seen as far but in the ballpark which makes Intel a no show for the next 3 years.

Here you go: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-9590

That was more due to AMDs issues than Intel's success though. The FX processors were AMD's Pentium 4s, Ryzen is their Core. It's very easy to do great when the other guy is stuck furiously polishing a turd while going back to the drawin board to try and R&D a completely different product line.

Yea AMD leadership went haywire and got hubris and forgot they were up against someone that could pour money for a decade to fix the cpu.
Lisa has reworked the core businesses they can compete with and making a cheap scalable cpu makes them a winner due to yields.
If they can get a 40% server business they are then, in business again.

2019 is the year Intel got spanked badly.
why buy a 14nm cpu that runs hot due to punished to the limit when you can buy a 7nm one?
If anyone would have said Intel's 10nm would be the Bulldozer of the decade none would have seen it coming.
Intel didn't and now its biting them horrible.

Soldato
all the rumours are indicating that AMD will release a 16core cpu on AM4 platform, I doubt X450 boards will run those but will the X470 manage to run them? They dont have enough power phase circuitry from my understanding.

But what about the top end X470 boards?

So much for backward comparability but this is a sacrifice that many are happy with. I dont think when AMD were designing these boards they anticipated they would be releasing 16core cpu to the main stream market. They really are pushing boundaries of performance here.

It's already been suggested that the Ryzen 9 will be restricted to X570 motherboards, probably to guarantee sufficient power delivery and PCI-E 4. But I'd like to see vendors additionally support Ryzen 9 on X470 where appropriate (the Crosshairs, Extremes and MEGs of the world for instance).

But bear in mind that we're talking the new 7nm kit here, not GloFo's 14/12nm or Intel's 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++ so we have no frame of reference for exactly how hungry (or not) and hot (or not) these chiplets will get. You know that server chips can't be stupid hot and stupid power hungry, yet AMD can cram 64 Zen 2 cores into EPYC. It's almost trivial in comparison to put 16 cores into an AM4 package. Also consider that a 16 core, 5GHz boost Ryzen 9 will require 2 super high binned, almost godlike chiplets so by their very nature power draw is going to be optimal.

But even if the 16 core Ryzen 9s are kept as halo parts exclusive to X570, you can still surpass 8 cores on existing AM4 kit with the Ryzen 7s; i'd be fairly confident in saying that 8 14nm Zen 1 cores would be hotter and hungrier than 12 7nm Zen 2 cores, so even B350 should be fine with the new CPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
2019 is the year Intel got spanked badly.
why buy a 14nm cpu that runs hot due to punished to the limit when you can buy a 7nm one?
If anyone would have said Intel's 10nm would be the Bulldozer of the decade none would have seen it coming.
Intel didn't and now its biting them horrible.
Sadly though it's unlikely it will actually hurt their sales outside of gamers.

Even when the Athlon XP/64 had their testicles lodged firmly in the throat of the Pentium 4/D Intel were still outselling AMD by a huge margin :(

Permabanned
Hopefully i can finally go back to AMD GPU's and make full use of my 32" free-sync screen. :)
Thats reason I went 32 inch 4k ips pro screen on black friday no freesync nogsync NO PROBLEM . dont play onlune shooters anyway. Shiet not played anything besides kingdom come since iw gotten the monitor hehehe

Soldato
From some basic calculation and some extrapolation, the top end X470 boards should handle a 16core cpu no problem even overclocked, the Crosshair VII hero, Taichi and Aorus gaming 7 are all fine for such a chip if it ever shows up.

It kinda makes sense why we see overkill VRM design on these boards.

Gigabyte Gaming 7 has the worse VRM of all the "top" X470 boards. Is good for 2700X but I doubt would be able to handle 3800X/3850X
MSI X470 M7 has the best VRMs btw. And is the board that had the marketing line "designed for 8 core and higher" and when everyone started speculating what they mean "and higher" MSI retracted the statement.

Soldato

I'd suggest it'll be the other way around. Gamers are idiots. You could show them a 16 core, 5GHz all-core Ryzen 9 get 240+fps on whatever the latest CoD or Fortnite clone is, and they'll still go "but it's not blue and green" and swan off to Intel and Nvidia.

Those away from gaming generally need to be a bit more switched on with their choices. Datacenters will flock to EPYC Rome, content creators will seriously consider Threadripper, mass manufacture OEMs would be idiotic to not look at the new Ryzen 3s, boutique and extreme system builders should consider Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 if they are genuine with their ethos of "extreme systems".

I can honestly see Intel taking an absolute battering for a few years.

Soldato
PCI-Ev4 is one of the most interesting parts of all this, imo. To me, it's one of the next big generational divides. Future graphics cards will be using v4, SSDs making use of it will likely appear, we might even see a return to multi-GPU as an approach if Navi and Arcturus are designed with it in mind. Seems like a good reason to try and get on board on the other side of this release rather than now.

Associate

Even when the Athlon XP/64 had their testicles lodged firmly in the throat of the Pentium 4/D Intel were still outselling AMD by a huge margin :(

AMD have 3 years or so to take advantage of the mess Intel created for themselves.
Lisa seems to know what she is doing with her team.
Fired Raja due to him didn't want to do what the team did.
good call.

I'd suggest it'll be the other way around. Gamers are idiots. You could show them a 16 core, 5GHz all-core Ryzen 9 get 240+fps on whatever the latest CoD or Fortnite clone is, and they'll still go "but it's not blue and green" and swan off to Intel and Nvidia.

Those away from gaming generally need to be a bit more switched on with their choices. Datacenters will flock to EPYC Rome, content creators will seriously consider Threadripper, mass manufacture OEMs would be idiotic to not look at the new Ryzen 3s, boutique and extreme system builders should consider Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 9 if they are genuine with their ethos of "extreme systems".

I can honestly see Intel taking an absolute battering for a few years.

You talk about less than 10% of gamers.
80% or so still want to buy price/performance.
Freesync, navi 250$ (1080/Vega performance) and a 4.5/5ghz Ryzen 8core for 160/300euro?
Its a reason ryzen outsells amd in germany 2 to 1.

Its going to be a absolute bloodbath for Intel next year and Nvidia which btw still sits on a loads of cards with previous gen unsold wont have it easy.
AMD can really disrupt things 2019.

Back
Top Bottom