How much money do you spend on food a day?

Associate
Just curious what people set as a budget for a releastic daily spend on food. For me i do a food shop sunday or monday evening. But still go get lunch from morrisons and spend 2.50 a day on lunch and then will cook in evening. I spend about 30 quid a week on food plus the 2.50 everyday. I dont drink costa coffees etc and just eat cereal before work. Usually have chicken veg and some kind of carb as dinner. On weekend may go out for dinner or get a take away. Feel i should be spending less on food however as its probably costing me in total 50 quid a week. Not sure if this is too much? I get a good wage and can afford it but looking to save more money next year. I am not overly keen on premaking lunch from left over dinner and microwaving it. Not sure what the average spend is.. curious to compare.

Soldato
Around 50-55 quid a week for the 2 of us.

So about 8 quid a day or 4 pounds each.

I get a pack of wraps a bag of salad and a pot of tuna filler and chicken breast slices and make my own lunch which I take to work each day.

Soldato
As a singleton I eat fairly healthily but easily spend over £50 a week. Salmon(wild) and seabass at least a few times a week. Stuff like black garlic, nuts, various fruits, occasional treat like 90% cocoa chocolate. I don't have a lot of time for home preparing meals although do some but veggies are often bought in the microwavable bags fresh so could probably save a bit if I didn't buy pre-prepared.
Used to spend quite a bit more - cut back on some of the exotic fruits.

Last edited:
Soldato
Depends. Do a £35 Iceland delivery every couple of weeks and maybe £20 in Aldi alternate weeks also.

Don't do the daily coffee/meal deal trend but will have these as a treat now and then.

Soldato
Family of three, probably around £50-£75 a week, sometimes more. Two of us eat at work for free so that helps. We do need to get a grip and start budgeting though, because some weeks I can be in Sainsbury's every day buying stuff and it's shocking how that mounts up on the monthly bank statement.

Associate
I usually arrange a delivery on a set day per week, averaging £85 for three. In addition my partner will buy lunch at work, but it is good food heavily subsidised by her employer, and I will perhaps go to the local bakery once a week when low on lunch food. Call it £100 per week, so about £4.75 per day each.

A weekly, rather than bi-weekly, delivery has made a difference for us, as we always have fresh produce and it removes the temptation to order a takeaway. We also tend to have similar stock meals, so I've started preparing double portions and freezing. That makes a big difference too, as we always have something ready-to-go on the days where we are short of time when collecting the little'un from family after work. Started to meal-plan recently too, to reduce wastage.

Soldato
Online shopping and meal planning has dramatically reduced our expenditure and food waste. I’d hate to have to go to the supermarket again for weekly shopping - it seems like a massive waste of time now! Definitely give it a go, the yearly Sainsbury’s delivery pass (£60) probably makes its money back after maximum 2 months due to the lack of crap that you pick up doing the rounds in the supermarket.

Soldato
Wow some big spenders in here, always under £45 a week for 2 of us. Neither of us do the daily coffee or sandwich run, complete waste of money. We make a list before going to the supermarket and we waste next to nothing.

It sounds boring but people could clear their mortgages years early by giving up the daily Costa and the lunch meal 'deal'. My lunch costs less than half of a sandwich meal deal and no where near as calorific.

Man of Honour
£320 - £400 per month for two of us in Waitrose, or maybe Tesco, plus I’ll go in a pub or bar a couple of times during the week, and spend around £25 a time, my wife will have coffee, soup, and sourdough bread at lunchtime Monday and Tuesday, but works on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, so gets a subsidised lunch for around £1.50 per day on those days.

Associate
I spend roughly £15-25 a week on food but got in to the habit about 15 years ago that when in work I just have three cereal bars for lunch, that seems to do me fine fairly healthy and stops me picking during the day, this only costs me about £-4 a week.

Soldato
Wow some big spenders in here, always under £45 a week for 2 of us. Neither of us do the daily coffee or sandwich run, complete waste of money. We make a list before going to the supermarket and we waste next to nothing.

It sounds boring but people could clear their mortgages years early by giving up the daily Costa and the lunch meal 'deal'. My lunch costs less than half of a sandwich meal deal and no where near as calorific.

I don't often buy lunch out, but if you make it with good ingredients tends to add up. Eg. I have chicken, halloumi, salad and croutons most days. Probably costs about 2 quid (similar to a meal deal) but fairly healthy and fills me up.

Also things like avocados cost :X (Inb4 generation avocado!).

Id much sooner eat good food than takeaway lunch packs tho.

Back
Top Bottom