• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Associate
Why do you feel smug about it? Vega's the better choice at the moment, We can already see Pascals new game performance dropping off just as we did with Maxwell, On AMD's side they're so slow with replacing hardware that Vega will probably still be the driver teams priority a year from now. :D

Vega is not "the better choice at the moment". 1070Ti consistently outperforms 56 and even 64 in some benches. It also runs cooler, quieter and more efficiently. You don't know how much I paid for mine, to boot.

I've spent less than £600 on a 1070Ti and 32" AOC Freesync monitor.

Man of Honour
Not that surprising considering gsync has to go through an additional piece of hardware, that will increase processing time slightly.

If you have it setup properly in most cases it doesn't as it usually outperforms the traditional scaler either offsetting the latency impact or even doing better. Some of the early tests had G-Sync setup wrong if you look at sites like tftcentral you can see proper data.

EDIT: Also check out the videos by Battlenonsense who did in depth testing and proved that Linus had made a mistake somewhere in his testing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wasn't it you earlier who mentioned they'd been keeping support for adaptive sync in the bank for a rainy day? To be honest I was real surprised to see that they'd used it now, That said I suppose Turing's been a right mess, what with the high pricing response, ray-tracing performance woes and card failures affecting confidence and stock prices, maybe it was the right time. I might actually move to a 2070 later in the year to have a play around with rt & dlss on my freesync monitor.
Yep that was me :)

I am looking most forward to something like a 3080 or 3080Ti (depending on pricing) if I am being honest. I don’t see Navi brining 2080 Ti performance, let alone 3080 which will hopefully have the grunt needed for proper RTX on top. But I also need to see a lot more support for RTX. Right now it is utter tripe imo. They need to up their game in the next 12 months.

I can see AMD getting back into the game post Navi. Especially if they manage to say stick 2-4 smaller GPU’s on one die and make it work like one GPU without any scaling issues.

Soldato
G-Sync still (when MS aren't screwing up WDDM, etc.) has better support/features for Windowed/Borderless mode games and better low framerate handling and always will unless extra hardware is added to Adaptive Sync monitors.

EDIT: On another note though something I need to test - I'm wondering if G-Sync has problems with colour values outside of limited range (16-235) maybe an oversight but I've noticed some problems with transitions/shimmering at the extremes of the colour range that don't seem to be there on FS.

Which would make sense otherwise why would the default settings in the NCP be 16-235. I always change it to max.

Soldato
If that’s true it, that’s warning bells for AMD.
Yeah, the thing they've been pushing for for years has finally happened, they must be devastated xD

In all reality this is a good thing for AMD as bringing Nvidia into the Freesync fold with AMD/Intel is essentially the death of G-Sync which means a level playing field for all going forward.

Soldato
Yeah, the thing they've been pushing for for years has finally happened, they must be devastated xD

In all reality this is a good thing for AMD as bringing Nvidia into the Freesync fold with AMD/Intel is essentially the death of G-Sync which means a level playing field for all going forward.

I’m not so sure.

What this means for AMD is that Nvidia now has access to a new market it didn’t have before. People with high end free sync monitors have been doggedly sticking with AMD in the hope they will provide a future GPU that can power it. Now they need not wait...

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

But is it also not a bad thing that they will no longer be able use freesync as a way of saying you get a lot more bang for your buck with AMD? Surely you can see this? I think in the short term at least it will be more bad than good.

G-Sync does seem like it will be around for at least another 3 years with their premium stuff. Doubt Nvidia will get rid of that branding any time soon either, that will be around for much longer even. It will be like mobo’s that had crossfire and sli plastered on it.

Associate
They need to support adaptive synch because of TVs. I want to connect my nVidia laptop to one of these new HDMI 2.1 TVs and am not willing to buy a nvidia TV and I guess neither are a lot of people.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They need to support adaptive synch because of TVs. I want to connect my nVidia laptop to one of these new HDMI 2.1 TVs and am not willing to buy a nvidia TV and I guess neither are a lot of people.
Indeed. Those are silly money’s and I would never buy one. Will be able to get a better tv for close to quarter of the price soon anyway.

Soldato
Yep that was me :)

I am looking most forward to something like a 3080 or 3080Ti (depending on pricing) if I am being honest. I don’t see Navi brining 2080 Ti performance, let alone 3080 which will hopefully have the grunt needed for proper RTX on top. But I also need to see a lot more support for RTX. Right now it is utter tripe imo. They need to up their game in the next 12 months.

I can see AMD getting back into the game post Navi. Especially if they manage to say stick 2-4 smaller GPU’s on one die and make it work like one GPU without any scaling issues.
Care to share your prediction for the lottery numbers this weekend? ;)

I hope what you say about Navi come to pass; we need a similar shake up in the GPU market as with the CPU.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Why not? £99 or £999 its the same thing, there is simply a difference in FPS range.

There are a number of aspects that make one monitor better than another, not just Freesync or GSync... I wouldn't expect a £99 monitor to differ from a £999 monitor only in FPS range. To dive into a car analogy, what you are saying is that a Nissan Micra and a Ferrari are the same thing, there is simply a difference in mph range... yes, they are both cars, but the differences go beyond mph in most people's opinions.

Caporegime
There are a number of aspects that make one monitor better than another, not just Freesync or GSync... I wouldn't expect a £99 monitor to differ from a £999 monitor only in FPS range. To dive into a car analogy, what you are saying is that a Nissan Micra and a Ferrari are the same thing, there is simply a difference in mph range... yes, they are both cars, but the differences go beyond mph in most people's opinions.

If a £99 screen works as Adaptive Sync on an AMD GPU there is no reason why it wouldn't work on nVidia, Adaptive Sync does not vary like that from screen to screen, its still a Vesa standard. The Screen vary hugely, the scaler doesn't, its an industry standard.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
If a £99 screen works as Adaptive Sync on an AMD GPU there is no reason why it wouldn't work on nVidia, Adaptive Sync does not vary like that from screen to screen, its still a Vesa standard. The Screen vary hugely, the scaler doesn't, its an industry standard.

In which case every Freesync monitor on the market should perform equally brilliant... but we know this isn't the case.

Back
Top Bottom