• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Associate
12 models for now with more to be supported. Sounds like they're just quality checking the monitors before enabling freesync on it with an nvidia gpu.

Wonder what'll happen to g-sync monitors now, they will fade out and be replaced with these approved nvidia freesync montiors and/or drop in price?

Caporegime
Hopefully it doesn't raise the price of Freesync monitors, as this seems to be the trend with anything that's in demand in this industry lately.

I checked a few and they seem either to be EoL or really old. I hope stuff like the new Asus 43" or the Sammy 49" FS2 monitors get certified as they'll finally have the graphical power to run them proper! :)

edit, interesting - "Nvidia said there are more to come".

Last edited:
Associate
Seems it will be available on all freesync monitors, not just the certified/approved ones.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

"G-SYNC Compatible monitor support will begin later this month with the launch of our first 2019 Game Ready driver. Already, 12 monitors are G-SYNC Compatible, and we’ll continue to evaluate monitors and update our support list throughout going forward.

For VRR monitors yet to be validated as G-SYNC Compatible, a new NVIDIA Control Panel option will enable owners to try and switch the tech on - it may work, it may work partly, or it may not work at all. To be sure, only purchase a monitor listed as “G-SYNC Compatible” on our site."

Associate
12 models for now with more to be supported. Sounds like they're just quality checking the monitors before enabling freesync on it with an nvidia gpu.

Wonder what'll happen to g-sync monitors now, they will fade out and be replaced with these approved nvidia freesync montiors and/or drop in price?

Probably not as gsync monitors are of higher quality than the FreeSync ones. Out of 400 FreeSync monitors tested, only 12 passed their standards.

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, my MG279Q is not listed as compatible but its sibling the MG278Q is. This might be because the MG278Q's default range is 40-144 Hz and the MG279Q's is 30-90 Hz; if so, the MG279Q should work fine when set to 57-144 Hz. I have an old GTX 770 I could test with it once the drivers come out.

Permabanned
Probably not as gsync monitors are of higher quality than the FreeSync ones. Out of 400 FreeSync monitors tested, only 12 passed their standards.

That's what they want you to believe, I don't believe it for one minute, They say only 12 passed because they've been claiming superiority from the start and while we know the majority of Freesync monitors don't have great support claiming only 12 passed is codswallop.

Soldato
Seems they just threw Gsync monitors under the bus, about time that Nvidia stopped being idiotic about things like this, maybe now you'll find a wider range of good Freesync screens at sensible prices with no Nvidia tax added just 'cause.

Associate
After some more thought, maybe they've done this due to the Turing gpu prices? At the mo you have the turing RTX tax plus the gsync tax, now its just the RTX tax.

Most of the recommendations for Vega for example was because the freesync combo is so much cheaper, now that advantage will be eliminated. Really hope Vega 2/Navi is good for AMDs sake.

Back
Top Bottom