Caffeine Detox Time

Soldato
i'm off the booze for JAN
not off the caffeine , but trying to cut down on cups per week
my problem is i buy a lot of coffee at machines in petrol stations and the like
none of them offer decaff

Soldato
I'm off for it for around a month now, not really feeling any better for it physically, potentially worse or that could just be me :p

It was flaring up a skin condition which has slowed now so it's definitely working :p

Soldato
When I did it a while back (due to palpitations) I gradually cut back over a month. Cutting out a cup of coffee a day every week and ensuring I don't buy any fizzy drinks (rare anyway). No headaches or any other adverse side effects doing it gradually like that.

Soldato
I tried to quit a few years ago. I felt very unwell for several days. I thought it was coincidence and was going to see the doctor, but after I smashed an energy drink I felt 100% fine...

I've been too scared to try again since :/

Soldato
My point is after a while that morning coffee stops having its pick me up benefits. You need more otherwise it feels you never had a morning coffee.

I don't drink it as a pick me up, I like the taste. Maybe that's the difference.

Caporegime
I stopped coffee in November and had the worst headaches for 2 days but I got over it, now the most caffeine I'll have is either a can of coke or a couple of cups of tea a day at most. If I had too much coffee it would make me really anxious, so I'm glad I've stopped. I'll have the occasional decaf every now and again.

Soldato
I've gone from having about 4 coffees and 8 cans of redbull a day
:eek: Madness. How did you not die with that sort of intake?

Recently read book “Why we sleep” by Matthew Walker. Very interesting and he mentiones the effect coffee have on sleep, pretty bad.
So limiting my coffee to 1-2 a day, nothing after lunch.
I got this book for Christmas and it's next up to read. I currently have 2 teas and 1 coffee every day. I used to be more like 4-5 per day but now restrict myself to 1 after lunch. I've tried giving up the post-lunch caffeine but I get so lethargic it's a struggle! Even when eating lighter salads etc. If I'm out and about I thoroughly enjoy a post-lunch espresso. At work it's just a tea.

I've had a few nights of insomnia recently so the thought of quitting caffeine has crossed my mind, but firstly I don't think 3 a day is that bad, and secondly if I miss my mid-morning or post-lunch drink I do feel pretty naff...

Soldato
I'm cutting it out too

I love a good coffee, most I had was 2 cups on the weekend and 1 per day to get through working life.

I go for green tea nowadays but the azera coffee is awesome

Soldato
At my old job I was having about 8 coffees a day. There would be lul at lunch time and I would feel really quite weird, dizzy and faint. It would go away after lunch once the coffee started up. I had no idea what it was, I thought it was sugar intake or something! Caffeine doesn't really affect me (noticeably) so I didn't think of it at all...

Get a new job with much less coffee intake (2 per day) and I've had no problems at all which is when I twigged it must have been the Caffeine.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Day 1 Update
So today is day 1 of caffeine detox. I woke up and had a decaf tea, because I need a nice hot drink to start the day. I would usually have a strong coffee at 10am before going to the gym at 11am, so I skipped that. Workout was going well until about 30 mins in and a headache hit. I powered on and it disappeared, and I feel fine now. Likely the endorphins and dopamine have from the workout are filling the void in the short term.

Last time I did this detox I noticed that I had trouble sleeping for the first couple nights. After that I actually started having dreams which I hadn't had in years - I assume because I was actually getting a deeper more restful sleep. The other benefit was mornings weren't terrible anymore. No more caffeine hangover, where the only cure is a big cup of the black stuff.

Without caffeine mood is more stable, but lets see.

Soldato
Interested to see how it goes. Genuinely intrigued if cutting caffeine makes mornings easier. I can get 8hrs sleep and still wake up groggy and feeling un-rested. I've never in my life woken up feeling "refreshed" :(

Associate
I've cut down on coffee and have substituted with Matcha Green Tea powder.

Granted I do still have the occasional coffee, I'm probably having 2 at most a week as opposed to previously having 1-2 cups a day.

Also cut down on dairy products since the start of the year and I do feel better.

I'm cutting it out too

I love a good coffee, most I had was 2 cups on the weekend and 1 per day to get through working life.

I go for green tea nowadays but the azera coffee is awesome

Do be aware that all green tea contains caffeine, and due to Matcha containing crushed leaves it contains more caffeine than bagged green tea. However, it's still just half the caffeine than you'll get in a cup of black coffee.

Back
Top Bottom