Caffeine Detox Time

Soldato
I've been drinking far too many equivalents of three heaped spoons of instant coffee per mug over the last few months, especially on days off work, where I can easily go through 5-8 mugs by the time I have the final one of the day around 1600. :eek:

This morning, I tried something I've not done in ages, waking at ~0745 and not drinking a mug before my bowl of cereal in the first ~30mins of getting up. I waited until ~0900 and to be fair, I didn't feel too bad for waiting a while. Thought I'd try it after reading about how our cortisol levels are quite high when we get up and that should be better than a caffeine drink to keep us alert until mid morning, as many of us tend to suffer a tiredness if we have a mug first thing because it reduces cortisol levels.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Yea I've found delaying the first coffee until a few hours after waking is optimal. You feel so much better. First thing in the morning having a coffee I can feel worse!

Man of Honour
Think I'm one of the few people that does not drink any coffee or even tea.

So many times people are shocked when I say I don't drink hot drinks, ever. If it has ice in it then yea sure I will!

People look at you like you've got a disease when you say you don't drink anything hot, just give me a water and I'm happy.

Caporegime
There is not that much caffeine in Pepsi max is there? That's not a lot and if its only one glass a day, I think thats more of a psychological battle you've got there

I used to drink a lot of full sugar Coke but don't anymore, it was more the sweet syrupy taste (Which might be what you have) - Flavoured Sparkling water when cutting it out helped tonnes.

There's lots. Hence the Max title.

Associate
Think I'm one of the few people that does not drink any coffee or even tea.

So many times people are shocked when I say I don't drink hot drinks, ever. If it has ice in it then yea sure I will!

Yep I'm another... only hot drink I have is hot chocolate (low cal stuff and only very occasionally).

Good luck OP, caffeine withdrawal sounds grim. I have lots of bad habits I'm working on, but I'm glad I don't have this one.

Here is some motivation: https://www.shape.com.sg/food/7-ways-too-much-coffee-is-seriously-bad-for-your-health/

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Not at all. The UK version has 42mg in a 330ml can, that's hardly lots.

As for caffeine detox, pls go @LiE. I have two coffees a day at most, so don't feel the need. I guess if I was necking 4-5 cups a day then yeah, probably worth cutting back

My 1 coffee is worth 3 of your **** coffees. Hipster coffee is more caffeinated, that’s a known fact.

Soldato
I'm quite sensitivity to caffeine so even 1 strong coffee is enough to make me feel energised

I could only dream of getting this reaction. Pretty sure tea/coffee actually makes me feel sleepy. I drink it because I enjoy it more than its caffeine properties.

Some days I consume no caffeine and pretty sure I don't notice a difference. Others I can have a 2-3 cup cafetiere worth of coffee before work and cups of tea/coffee almost hourly :o

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I could only dream of getting this reaction. Pretty sure tea/coffee actually makes me feel sleepy. I drink it because I enjoy it more than its caffeine properties.

Some days I consume no caffeine and pretty sure I don't notice a difference. Others I can have a 2-3 cup cafetiere worth of coffee before work and cups of tea/coffee almost hourly :o

RIP hormones RIP glands.

Adrenal gland pls respond.

Soldato
People look at you like you've got a disease when you say you don't drink anything hot, just give me a water and I'm happy.
My housemate at Uni never had any tea/coffee/hot drinks. I remember coming down into our cold kitchen one winters morning to make a tea and he'd be swigging cold tap water. Yuck! (And that's coming from someone who solely drinks water as their cold drink).

There's something lovely about having a hot cup of tea/coffee first thing to get rid of that morning mouth (before brushing your teeth).

EDIT: And drinking iced/very cold drinks isn't actually very good for you. It sort of shocks your body into thinking it's getting cold. It's very bad for your digestion too.

Soldato
Not at all. The UK version has 42mg in a 330ml can, that's hardly lots.
That's what I thought, unlikely to be an amount which will cause withdrawals, psychological more than anything. Less than half a cup of coffee.

Used to drink a pre workout which contained 375mg of caffeine at one stage. :D

Man of Honour
I forgive you, it must be hard being able to see a Costa from your house, the temptation for **** coffee is ever present.

LOL! Starbucks and Costa taste identical (both terrible), don’t let the branding and the smugness of sitting in there with Apple hipsters convince you otherwise

Soldato
RIP hormones RIP glands.

Adrenal gland pls respond.

Not responding. Have detoxed for short amount of times before and felt no more effect from coffee afterwards. Energy drinks/pre-workouts do give me some kind of a boost but maybe that's the combo of other chemicals with the caffeine?

Back
Top Bottom