• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Permabanned
Companies prefer...

But we, the customers, prefer to have some competition. AMD is obviously absent and with the Vega II 16 GB HBM2 in its current form, nothing will change.

RTX 2060 was already released as a GTX 1060 successor with 55% performance improvement.

Soldato
But we, the customers, prefer to have some competition. AMD is obviously absent and with the Vega II 16 GB HBM2 in its current form, nothing will change.

RTX 2060 was already released as a GTX 1060 successor with 55% performance improvement.

I keep seeing this AMD are absent so in what form. 570,580,590 all trump anything in there price brackets imo. Vega 56 and 64 pretty much cover the 2060/2070 as they are cheaper and as fast. The 2060 only has 6gb vram v Vega 56 8gb. Vega 7 who knows but it does have 16gb Vram v the 2080's 8gb which may or may not come in handy. The only price bracket they are not covering is the 2080ti.

It's not as if in each price bracket you would pick the Nvidia card without serious thought towards the AMD card if you knew your PC hardware and history. That's if you have no bias or a reason to stick with Nvidia.

Soldato
Guess what, ask AMD to begin ordering such, then. What's wrong?
Oh, and put lower frequency stacks, too.. lol
That would be massively expensive for such a low volume GPU with AMD being the only customer in the world, the memory manufacturers have to make a profit too and they won't with such a product.

Caporegime
Roger, hear you loud and clear, repackaged instinct cards that woulda gone in the bin.
I don't know if i completely believe that, as mentioned they would have gone for a $600 price point and sold twice as many

They only have 5000 to sell so lower prices would be pointless.

There is also some debate if they are truly failed Mi50 cards. They are definitely failed MI60, so only have 60CU, but that is what MI50 has. Therefore it is possible AMD decided to set.aside 5000 functional MI50 cards that could sell at $2-3k as a marketing stunt.

It is rumoured to cost $750 to make, so AMD perhaps are willing to have a $50 loss per GPU bit not $150.

Soldato
They only have 5000 to sell so lower prices would be pointless.

There is also some debate if they are truly failed Mi50 cards. They are definitely failed MI60, so only have 60CU, but that is what MI50 has. Therefore it is possible AMD decided to set.aside 5000 functional MI50 cards that could sell at $2-3k as a marketing stunt.

It is rumoured to cost $750 to make, so AMD perhaps are willing to have a $50 loss per GPU bit not $150.
My oh my you do read the internet news, some sites say 5000 some say 26,000 with 46,000 shortly after, depends where you read, depends if you believe it, depends if nvidias marketing team has ad hitmen working for them (spoiler, all big companies do)

I find it best to ignore any of the information and focus on the card, is it worth £600 ish for a 1080ti AMD version ? that's all you need to ask yourself, I paid £600 for a Fury X way back , wasn't dissapointed.
If you read comments on pop gaming websites the same brainwashing becomes apparent throughout, people saying

Vega is trash and slow
AMD's Drivers are terrible
Vega is so hot it could heat a house
Radeon 7 is a failure.

I think anyone here that owns a vega knows, its 1 - awesome - 2 -the drivers are actually pretty damn awesome 3 - can be undervolted to below nvidia equivalent and outperform.
And as i said 4 - Radeon 7 is a 1080ti for AMD for £600 ish.. whats wrong with that?

I for one am sick of this brainwashing, and i dont know where it started but its spread into peoples mindset as commonly as "blind as a bat" being an expression. Did you know bats aren't blind? Exactly.
I wish there was some kinda campaign to educate people that amd and nvidia cards are just the same but different names (apart from the new rtx) It makes me sick
Im sorry for the rant

Man of Honour
My oh my you do read the internet news, some sites say 5000 some say 26,000 with 46,000 shortly after, depends where you read, depends if you believe it, depends if nvidias marketing team has ad hitmen working for them (spoiler, all big companies do)

I find it best to ignore any of the information and focus on the card, is it worth £600 ish for a 1080ti AMD version ? that's all you need to ask yourself, I paid £600 for a Fury X way back , wasn't dissapointed.
If you read comments on pop gaming websites the same brainwashing becomes apparent throughout, people saying

Vega is trash and slow
AMD's Drivers are terrible
Radeon 7 is a failure.

I think anyone here that owns a vega knows, its 1 - awesome - 2 -the drivers are actually pretty damn awesome 3 - can be undervolted to below nvidia equivalent and outperform.
And as i said 4 - Radeon 7 is a 1080ti for AMD for £600 ish.. whats wrong with that?

I for one am sick of this brainwashing, and i dont know where it started but its spread into peoples mindset as commonly as "blind as a bat" being an expression. Did you know bats aren't blind? Exactly.
I wish there was some kinda campaign to educate people that amd and nvidia cards are just the same but different names (apart from the new rtx) It makes me sick
Im sorry for the rant

Get it all out there dude. You tell them :D

Soldato

My Vega 56 is broken out of the box. It won’t even complete a benchmark without crashing.

Driver wise well the current ones were cocked up and the 0db feature isn’t working so I’m using an older driver. It works that’s good but far from awesome! My Vega 56 is pretty good when undervolted but it’s essential for it to actually work. It can match a stock 1080 in benchmarks but let’s not forget the 1080’s overclock well.

£600 for an AMD 1080ti is perhaps more of a reflection of where the GPU space is at present. Given Vega 7 wasn’t designed to be a gaming gpu from the ground up but a salvage from the bin, perhaps it’s price doesn’t reflect where AMD would like it to be.

Soldato
I keep seeing this AMD are absent so in what form. 570,580,590 all trump anything in there price brackets imo. Vega 56 and 64 pretty much cover the 2060/2070 as they are cheaper and as fast. The 2060 only has 6gb vram v Vega 56 8gb. Vega 7 who knows but it does have 16gb Vram v the 2080's 8gb which may or may not come in handy. The only price bracket they are not covering is the 2080ti.

It's not as if in each price bracket you would pick the Nvidia card without serious thought towards the AMD card if you knew your PC hardware and history. That's if you have no bias or a reason to stick with Nvidia.
That must be the second time I’ve seen you slipping Vega 64 and a 2070 into the same sentence.

The 2070 performs a good chunk better.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_RTX_2070_Strix_OC/31.html

Man of Honour
My Vega 56 is broken out of the box. It won’t even complete a benchmark without crashing.

Driver wise well the current ones were cocked up and the 0db feature isn’t working so I’m using an older driver. It works that’s good but far from awesome! My Vega 56 is pretty good when undervolted but it’s essential for it to actually work. It can match a stock 1080 in benchmarks but let’s not forget the 1080’s overclock well.

£600 for an AMD 1080ti is perhaps more of a reflection of where the GPU space is at present. Given Vega 7 wasn’t designed to be a gaming gpu from the ground up but a salvage from the bin, perhaps it’s price doesn’t reflect where AMD would like it to be.

Broken out of the box crashing In benchmarks? I'd send it back. My 56 does none of these things.

Soldato
Broken out of the box crashing In benchmarks? I'd send it back. My 56 does none of these things.
It crashes in turbo and balanced.I know I’m not alone in this ‘feature’ as plenty others have reported it on these boards. I don’t think it’s broken to send back it just benefits from undervolting more:D

Man of Honour
It crashes in turbo and balanced.I know I’m not alone in this ‘feature’ as plenty others have reported it on these boards. I don’t think it’s broken to send back it just benefits from undervolting more:D

My reference board has been well behaved since launch which is good because I'm generally to lazy to properly fiddle these days. Mine runs a 64 bios and an undervolt, generally I have found it a great little card. Will be replacing it or adding a 7 I think.

Soldato
My reference board has been well behaved since launch which is good because I'm generally to lazy to properly fiddle these days. Mine runs a 64 bios and an undervolt, generally I have found it a great little card. Will be replacing it or adding a 7 I think.
Yup mines running 1650 on P7 and 1050v. Only has Hynix hbm and it won’t go above 930 but the ram oc alone makes a big difference in these cards. Am getting 7447 in the timespy benchmark.

Soldato

Unlucky send it back and don't forget Nvidia cards also come broken out the box.

Running a V56, my first AMD GPU since 2010 loving it a few tweaks and its a good bit of kit.

Soldato
Yup mines running 1650 on P7 and 1050v. Only has Hynix hbm and it won’t go above 930 but the ram oc alone makes a big difference in these cards. Am getting 7447 in the timespy benchmark.
Either something is lacking in your system, like psu or motherboard, or the card is a bad bin and you should have sent it back. I have had 3 vegas now, all of them were outstanding, and the drivers for their features, looks and functionality are far beyond nvidias.

Permabanned
AMD's own official publicly released benchmark figures suggest Radeon 7 is going to be behind a 2080. I have repated AMD's own performance expections, and you are claiming that I am wrong.

Can you source me the results you're using please, I can only find 3 games with the VII being compared against the 2080. Battlefield 5 (DX11, 1440p), Forza Horizon 4 (DX12, 3440x1440) & Strange Brigade (Vulcan, 4K). I'm pretty sure you can't be coming to this conclusion based on those three results.

Permabanned
Vega is trash and slow

True.

AMD's Drivers are terrible.

False.

False.

Radeon 7 is a failure.

Well, according to nvidia itself, it is a failure. See how nvidia chose to stay on the mature old process with larger dies, meanwhile AMD went to the new 7nm and brought nothing substantial.
Maybe going forward nvidia's strategy is the best, while AMD investing quite a lot in 7nm was a mistake.
Maybe RTX 2080 Ti with its 754 sq.mm on 12nm is cheaper than a 331 sq.mm Vega II 16 GB HBM2 on 7nm?!

Permabanned

I just sold my Vega and to be honest I miss it cause my slipper socks alone can't keep me tootsies warm in this weather :(

Seriously though, Vega's a great gpu, I ran 3440x1440 with it and it did so very comfortably, I found that undervolting & overclocking makes a huge difference, I had an MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC which was a surprisingly decent card seeing as when I got it it was one of the cheapest, When Vega released the 1080 looked like the better choice on paper but at 3440x1440 the Vega has a commanding lead, I would often find the 1080 dipping into the 30's with some of the more demanding games, which is something the Vega doesn't do as a rule.

I sold my Vega for two reasons Nvidia's Freesync support & the VII, I'm thinking about grabbing a 2070 or 2080 to play around with the RTX features as & when they appear (Metro Exodus is one of my most looked forward too releases this year), I'm currently trying to find info on what Nvidia's adaptive sync support is like with my monitor, but if I don't go for one of those I'll end up grabbing a VII as long as the price is sensible, I'm not wasting money as I did last year due to the mining price hikes.

Back
Top Bottom